ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to add OP We live in a quiet cul de sac and when our children are playing on their bikes we teach them
    to move off the road if a car comes into the court. They always do. And only play in front of our driveway. We're always with them, supervising.

Thankfully our neighbours are really friendly. I would be so mad if they acted like your neighbours though! But if someone approached me and said I'm not happy about the kids playing etc I would definitely try to come to an agreement with them maybe even put a stop to it.

I think kids playing supervised in a quiet street is absolutely fine though. It helps kids to learn awareness around cars and road sense too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Feezy  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you're doing a beautiful thing for your children.

The best part of my child hood in comparison to my children's childhood, was having that freedom, being able to navigate the little bit of the world that was given to us.
    Beautiful.

Your neighbours are d!ckheads.
    First and foremost as a road driver THEY are obliged to drive to the conditions, be it weather or pedestrians!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Feezy  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Although they're complete douchebags by the sounds of it, to answer your actual question yes you are in the wrong. Roads are for cars, and people should give way to them. How much notice do you get between the car appearing, and them being on top of your kids? Are the kids scrabbling to get out of the way?
    You say you've tried talking to them.. how was this approached? What was their response?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids play on the road in our street too. There are no footpaths. We are on a dead end street as well so most traffic is local.. most cars drive slow but one was (up until recently) driving fast (over the speed limit). Partner knocked on his door and told him if he didn't slow down he would report him. His wife was there when partner said this and she had no idea (I guess he only speeds when his wife isnt with him) and she went off at him. He now drives extra slow past our house.

So i would report to police if you have already tried being reasonable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Feezy  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Our children play in the road with us supervising all the time. There are a lot of kids on our very quiet street and all the neighbours are very cautious of children when they drive in.
    Technically I guess we are doing the wrong thing but when your backyards are tiny put the front is the place to ride bikes, scooters, basketball etc

This is our situation too. There are no footpaths in our estate and our yard is tiny. We dont just let them play without supervision either. Our 3 year old can't go on the road unless we go for a walk and he holds our hands or goes in the stroller.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Opinions about kids playing on road.

Our kids play out the front with us present. We live in an estate and people generally drive slowly through there. The kids know to get straight off the road if a car is coming. In your situation I would be frustrated by the neighbours but technically I think they're in the right - the road is for cars not games, etc.

ETA unless they're actually speeding in and out and are over the speed limit, them they're in the wrong. We had issues here with a Neighbour coming down the street much faster than other cars. We couldn't do anything because there's technically no enforceable speed limit as it's classed as private property. The kids weren't allowed on the road until he was no longer a risk.
    Last edited by sajimum; 01-04-2017 at 22:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see both sides to this, the kids of about 4 families on our street play on scooters/bikes etc in the street (not a cul de sac, fairly quiet street though). I like the vibe and go extra slow when they are out in the street, but I get really peeved when they don't even bother to move out of the way as I'm turning into my driveway.
    Also there is a park with paths to ride on and loads of grass about 50m away from our houses - you can see it if you stand in our front yard.
    OP if you're happy for your kids to play in the street maybe just tell them to move quick smart as soon as they see the grumpy speedster neighbours and remind them regularly to get out of the way quickly for cars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

As far as I know there are not any other issues, no loud music or parties etc, it's a very quiet street. We usually go outside at 4 and come back in at 6:30. When we approached them they were fairly amicable and said the main issue was that they had to wait for the ramp to be shifted off the road, so we always make sure the kids move it before 5 when they come home. Their other issue was they don't think the 2 year olds should be on the road at all (they play in cosy coupes).

As soon as we see a car approaching someone yells out CAR and everyone gets off the road, including the little ones, but we still run to make sure they get off the road quickly.
    Their are 2 house between the turnoff to our street and where the kids start playing from, they are definitely nowhere near the corner.

I'll ring the police to find out where we stand and follow their advice. It would be such a shame to put an end to it though, 8 kids can't really ride or scooter on the driveway!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Feezy For This Useful Post:

Phony  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The road is for cars and they shouldn't have to wait while the kids get off the road.
    I see no problem with kids playing in the road if there is enough warning that a car is coming that they can move safely off the road without the car having to slow down past the recommended speed for the street (this is the situation in our street, a cul de sac, I stand on the road with DD and watch for cars, we have time to move off the road before the car approaches).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Lanabananah  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If someone lived in a quiet cul-de-sac or dead end street, then I see no problem with kids playing supervised on the road - IF all of the neighbours were ok with it, which it seems like they arent. I can see how waiting for a ramp to be moved off the road, plus 8 kids and toddlers in cozy coupe's would annoy someone who doesnt have kids. That would take some time! Especially if the parents are watching and sitting back with a glass of wine while the 2 year olds scoot on the road in cozy coupes. Sorry, like I said, if all neighbours were on board, that would be fine, but if they arent, it's probably not ok. I'm not sure if the police would be on your side there - they are not pedestrians, they are playing on the road, and like it or not, those cars have the right to drive 50kph, or whatever the posted speed limit is in your area. Of course they have to take due care, but id you're letting 2 year olds play on the road in vehicles etc, I think the onus would be on you to keep the children in a safe place. It is a huge shame for you, it sounds like a lovely environment for your kids to grow up in. We live on a very unsafe road where cars come down at 80+ kph, so I would never let my kids on the road - but we also have a huge backyard, so we're very lucky there.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-04-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (02-04-2017)