ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    But I think crossing the line into scolding the poster who has only posted out of naivety rather than malice, is taking it a step too far.
    But for me, this isn't how freedom of speech operates. It doesn't mean you get a right to say what you want and no one is allowed to respond. Freedom of speech goes both ways. The person posting the joke has the right to put it up.... but others have the freedom to respond to that as well. Otherwise it's only freedom of speech for the person posting, and you (a general you) are trying to gag everyone else's freedom of speech.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default April Fool's

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm not a fan of censorship so I wouldn't demand it be taken down. I was more referring to Phony's posts saying those offended should just get over it. My point was that just as they have freedom of speech, so do those responding to the public posts.
    Ahhh, I misunderstood that point.

Sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But for me, this isn't how freedom of speech operates. It doesn't mean you get a right to say what you want and no one is allowed to respond. Freedom of speech goes both ways. The person posting the joke has the right to put it up.... but others have the freedom to respond to that as well. Otherwise it's only freedom of speech for the person posting, and you (a general you) are trying to gag everyone else's freedom of speech.
    To me that makes sense when it's intended to provoke, insult or offend.
    In this case, I really think it's going to far to respond in a negative way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    To me that makes sense when it's intended to provoke, insult or offend.
    In this case, I really think it's going to far to respond in a negative way.
    So free speech is only allowed to be one sided unless it's malicious? And you are assuming all of them aren't. I'm sure plenty know people's feelings but have the 'this is my FB and I'll say what I what' mentality.

Anyhoo, clearly we aren't going to agree. I just don't understand this idea you have that freedom of speech entails one person or group saying what they want and no one is allowed to count that. That isn't free speech. That's forcing your opinions on others and expecting to never be challenged.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-04-2017),Mambo  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So free speech is only allowed to be one sided unless it's malicious? And you are assuming all of them aren't. I'm sure plenty know people's feelings but have the 'this is my FB and I'll say what I what' mentality.

Anyhoo, clearly we aren't going to agree. I just don't understand this idea you have that freedom of speech entails one person or group saying what they want and no one is allowed to count that. That isn't free speech. That's forcing your opinions on others and expecting to never be challenged.
    Free speech should be exactly that unless it's calling for violence.

If someone uses the 'this is my facebook and I'll say what I want' and you don't like what they say because it incites violence or harm to others, then by all means approach it as you see fit.
    Argue, debate, report, block or delete.
    All would be warranted in a genuine case where someone is being nasty and crossing a line.

How can you seriously be putting an April fools day joke about being pregnant in the same basket as that though?
    Even if I was hurt to the core to see such a post, I just could not, and would not, publicly humiliate someone for making light of being pregnant.
    No way.
    They are entitled to feel that way, and aren't they lucky to.
    It might not always be that way for them but for now it is.
    Why should my bad experience ruin their joke?
    I'd feel like complete sh!t if I lost control of my emotions and attacked a FB friend for this.
    It just wouldn't come from me at all.

And tell me how we got from a FB joke to "forcing your opinions on others"?
    To me, having a go at the person making the joke is forcing your opinions on others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry but I don't buy your Get out of Jail Card that it's ok to offend others unless it's inciting violence.

As to how a FB joke is forcing opinions on others. It isn't in itself. But expecting freedom of speech as you have described then telling others to get over it and not comment *is*. Bc it's saying 'my right to have a joke that offends others is more important than others right to tell me off'.

To be clear - I find the idea of putting something up for the public to see that I know will offend (sorry I don't buy the naivety excuse after 3 years running) is kind of jerky. But putting it up.... then telling others they can't respond and to get over it is way worse.

I hate people that use the freedom of speech excuse as a suit of invincibility to be turds to others and not get taken to task. Doesn't wash with me. If you put it out there in the public domain, expect others will critique it, and I'm speaking generally.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (04-04-2017),gingermillie  (03-04-2017),JustJaq  (04-04-2017),LoveLivesHere  (04-04-2017),Mum-I-Am  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry but I don't buy your Get out of Jail Card that it's ok to offend others unless it's inciting violence.

As to how a FB joke is forcing opinions on others. It isn't in itself. But expecting freedom of speech as you have described then telling others to get over it and not comment *is*. Bc it's saying 'my right to have a joke that offends others is more important than others right to tell me off'.

To be clear - I find the idea of putting something up for the public to see that I know will offend (sorry I don't buy the naivety excuse after 3 years running) is kind of jerky. But putting it up.... then telling others they can't respond and to get over it is way worse.

I hate people that use the freedom of speech excuse as a suit of invincibility to be turds to others and not get taken to task. Doesn't wash with me. If you put it out there in the public domain, expect others will critique it, and I'm speaking generally.
    What get out of jail card? And I never said it was OK to intentionally offend others.
    Thats a bit OTT, as others have said, there's laws in place here to protect certain people from abuse. We are not taking about that.
    Unintentionally offending someone isn't a crime!

Yes I expect freedom of speech in this country, especially when there's NO hate involved.
    Show me where the hate is in a joke about a fake pregnancy test, on Aprils fools day of all days.

It's ridiculous to hold a fake pregnancy joke to the same level of scrutiny as some of the really worrying stuff I see online daily.

If you've got a specific person in mind who is continually making these posts, and is the type to hide behind the ' I can say what I want' attitude to say sh1tty things all the time, the yeah, go for it, do whatever you want, say whatever you want.
    That's a specific problem to you on your FB page but you can't go telling everyone to never make that joke again just because they're unaware of how it might affect some people.

If the person making the joke doesn't know of anyone who has lost a pregnancy, then yes it's funny to them. They're at a different stage in life.
    If they do know and make the joke anyway, then that's an ar$ehole.
    I'm not saying they should be given a free pass, I'm saying there are others who genuinely don't see it as something bad, and unless you're grieving a loss, it's NOT something bad is it, in the grand scheme of things.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

nightowlsurprise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One of my husband's cousins posted a pregnancy april fools joke.

She had her 3rd baby quite late in life and her status simply said "baby number 4 on the way". I immediately knew it was a joke, and so did everyone who read it.

As soon as I saw it, my heart sank and I thought oh no, why would she do that?! She's such a lovely lady and doesn't have a mean nasty bone in her body. But then I realised... The only reason it bothered me is BECAUSE I'm a part of forum's like this one where women openly discuss their fertility, and because I've seen over the past few years how these april fools jokes hurt the people in the circles I follow. I can only assume, she has no one in her life who has ever openly discussed with her the pain of fertility problems. I can only assume that the social circles she travels in in the real world and online don't discuss these things, and that she genuinely thought it was simply funny. So I got over it pretty quickly and moved on. Maybe had I ever had fertility issues myself I wouldn't have gotten over it so quickly. I do think however, most people who post these sorts of things mean no harm by them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

nightowlsurprise  (04-04-2017),Phony  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think those joke posts are ever coming from a mean place, but that's my experience of them.
    If someone here has a friend that is doing it despite being told of other's struggles, then they are mean but I would bet a lot of their other posts would be of a similar nature so I would have removed them from my FB already.