+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default April Fool's

The kinds of April fools jokes I find funny are those where they're not "personal" or can be related to someone's own experience. I find the pregnancy one in bad taste. I have suffered through unexplained infertility and a miscarriage but the actual fake pregnancy post doesn't affect me like it does some. But that's my experience. I have friends who would be completely destroyed seeing something like that on Facebook. Fake pregnancies are not funny or a source of humour.

Some of the better April fools jokes are ones where people have actually put effort into them. Like the supposed David Attenborough documentary on the White Ibis. It's actually pretty funny and well done.

There's a page I follow on FB where a nurse was fooled into believing she was receiving a patient in ED with a history of 4 days severe vomiting, diarrhoea plus some other contagious thing meaning he/she got all dressed up in protective gear for nothing. Those things are harmless. You can have a laugh and move on.

I just think that people no longer have a filter when it comes to social media. Just because you can post it, doesn't mean you should.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 02-04-2017 at 11:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    The kinds of April fools jokes I find funny are those where they're not "personal" or can be related to someone's own experience. I find the pregnancy one in bad taste. I have suffered through unexplained infertility and a miscarriage but the actual fake pregnancy post doesn't affect me like it does some. But that's my experience. I have friends who would be completely destroyed seeing something like that on Facebook. Fake pregnancies are not funny or a source of humour.

Some of the better April fools jokes are ones where people have actually put effort into them. Like the supposed David Attenborough documentary on the White Ibis. It's actually pretty funny and well done.

There's a page I follow on FB where a nurse was fooled into believing she was reviving a patient in ED with a history of 4 days severe vomiting, diarrhoea plus some other contagious thing meaning he/she got all dressed up in protective gear for nothing. Those things are harmless. You can have a laugh and move on.

I just think that people no longer have a filter when it comes to social media. Just because you can post it, doesn't mean you should.
    Agreed, I think the best April fool joke of all time was the BBC pasta tree one from long ago, they convinced most of Britain that pasta grew on trees.

I worked a night duty a few years ago and the after hours coordinator called at 1am to tell us that all but 2 am staff had called in sick and that we would all have to stay. It wasn't funny at 1am or even 5am but it was hilarious at 630-7 when everyone showed up. These jokes didn't hurt anyone, didn't touch any raw nerves and I think that's why they were wonderful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    I think it's time to back off. Many women here including myself have stated we find it hurtful and offensive.

We have no interest in banning humour or spoiling others fun but we have every right to be upset that others are so flippant about a subject that we find so hurtful.

Like @gingermillie I'm in a different place now but 12 or 24 months ago a 'funny' post about a fake pregnancy would have had me in tears. I had tried for 3 years to get pregnant and every announcement during the last part of that was heartbreaking to me.

When I finally got pregnant I was overjoyed only to have a stillbirth at 23 weeks. Someone posted a fake announcement complete with 'food baby' photo last April fools day. I was less than 8 weeks post delivery. I sat in the shower for 2 hours and cried and I also self harmed.

For you this might not be a big deal but for others it is. I think it's in poor taste on a number of levels. A few people having a vent on a support forum don't need or deserve such rude and aggressive responses.
    Gosh Hun my heart hurts for you. Xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think fake pregnancy "jokes" are awful.

Given how many of my friends have struggled with getting pregnant or suffered pregnancy losses, I think it is totally reasonable for people to assume that at least one of your facebook friends could be going through something like that even if they haven't told you. After all 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage. Therefore, just because you haven't been through it personally, you should be able to predict that a fake pregnancy "joke" might cause real hurt to someone you know.

The freedom of speech excuse is ridiculous too. There is no actual unlimited right to freedom of speech in this country. We have lots of limits on freedom of speech - defamation legislation, consumer legislation, laws against racist and sexist speech, protection of classified information etc. It really peeves me when people cry "freedom of speech!" just so they can justify being offensive to others.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-04-2017),gingermillie  (02-04-2017),JustJaq  (02-04-2017),M'LadyEm  (02-04-2017),Mum-I-Am  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmm I'm in two minds on this.
    I think what a person posts on their page (provided it's not illegal) is their business, end of.
    HOWEVER, I would expect most people know at least one person who has experienced the loss of a child//fetus and should be mindful of that.

My mum put up a 'fake pregnancy' post, but it was a subtle one that only those closest to her would get- "OMG ANOTHER DENTIST VISIT!"
    When we were growing up, she used to say she had a dental appointment when actually she was going for an ultrasound.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    The freedom of speech excuse is ridiculous too.
    In regards to making a fake pregnancy post on FB, we are all free to do so.
    Hundreds of times over if we're that juvenile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    In regards to making a fake pregnancy post on FB, we are all free to do so.
    Hundreds of times over if we're that juvenile.
    But surely following that logic, those that are annoyed by it are allowed to say it's offensive or juvenile? It goes both ways.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-04-2017),Phony  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default April Fool's

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But surely following that logic, those that are annoyed by it are allowed to say it's offensive or juvenile? It goes both ways.
    This is very true, but unfortunately as much as they can then demand the post be taken down, or have someone apologise etc, they can't force it.

So it's up to everyone to decide if it's a deal breaker (if the removal or apology doesn't happen) and then cull their friend list accordingly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think everyone has the right to to feel it that way about such posts, just like the sinking feeling that comes from a real pregnancy announcement.
    But I think crossing the line into scolding the poster who has only posted out of naivety rather than malice, is taking it a step too far.
    Most of the time those posts aren't a direct dig at anyone, it's about the person posting and whomever they were playing the joke on.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanabananah View Post
    This is very true, but unfortunately as much as they can then demand the post be taken down, or have someone apologise etc, they can't force it.
    I'm not a fan of censorship so I wouldn't demand it be taken down. I was more referring to Phony's posts saying those offended should just get over it. My point was that just as they have freedom of speech, so do those responding to the public posts.
    Last edited by delirium; 03-04-2017 at 18:33.