+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I disagreed with you so you called me super aggressive and then whipped out the racism and homophobic playing cards.
    Pretty predictable but (supposedly) I'm the aggressor here.

Makes no sense at all.
    Why go there?
    What has pregnancy got to do with racism and homophobia? Or is that just a go-to response?
    I opened this thread to see everyone's opinions on this topic but all I found was you being rude and aggressive. Very unpleasant. And not an effective way to get your point across.
    Last edited by Mambo; 02-04-2017 at 01:02.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

Californication  (02-04-2017),gingermillie  (02-04-2017),JustJaq  (02-04-2017),Mum-I-Am  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too choose to believe that someone would post a joke about pregnancy out of naievity. I would decide based on my relationship with that person whether I would say something to let them know my feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All our friends and family know our struggles and have been wonderful. If one of mine posted it I'd have a laugh and move on. Life is hard enough without everyone taking offence to such trivial crap!!!!! And this goes for all matters in life.

Aren't we all sick of seeing "if you know someone affected with cancer like this post". I never like them. My friends battling cancer much appreciate the time I spend with them or gifts to cheer them up.

This world is cray cray!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juventina For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (04-04-2017),FarmMumma  (03-04-2017),Phony  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    You were aggressive to me in your responses with personal attacks, swearing and yelling in caps. I have done none of this so yes you are the aggressor here.
    Why did I go there? Because I was drawing an analogy and asking a legitimate question of would you feel the same in those situations. I never inferred you would, did or have. I asked whether you would express the same attitude in other potentially offensive scenarios. You are the one that has taken this down an aggressive path seeing things that aren't there. I disagreed and I asked a question and you have responded rudest and over the top. You are the one badgering me here so just drop it.
    I responded like that when you quoted my full post addressing the OP.
    Your first post in the thread was to compare an April fools day joke to a racist or homophobic comment.
    That's like comparing someone falling off a bike to someone committing murder.
    NOT THE SAME.
    I believe you know that, dropping those words is virtue signalling.
    'Look at me everyone, I'm taking the moral high ground here, she has no where to go because how can you argue with racism and homophobia"

If you can't see that that's how it looks, maybe think twice about using them again as an analogy.
    They stand alone.
    They don't compare to a joke between friends family on FB.

I'm sure most people can see the joke for what it was, despite the feelings it might bring up in some. Like everything else on FB, if you don't like it block it.
    Move on.
    It's a click.
    Or you know, let's just ban humour and April fools day next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Where on earth did I state that it wasn't personal to me?!

Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I could, except then people are likely to think I'm trying. The locals are already gossiping about me being pregnant.
    That reads like you're getting offended on the behalf of others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I too choose to believe that someone would post a joke about pregnancy out of naievity. I would decide based on my relationship with that person whether I would say something to let them know my feelings.
    Exactly, I wouldn't take offence if it was a joke from a young girl or an acquaintance who wouldn't have a clue about my personal experiences.
    It's just far too much to expect of anyone.

If it was a best friend though, I would find it insensitive but I would still have to consider the friend before I chose a response.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I responded like that when you quoted my full post addressing the OP.
    Your first post in the thread was to compare an April fools day joke to a racist or homophobic comment.
    That's like comparing someone falling off a bike to someone committing murder.
    NOT THE SAME.
    I believe you know that, dropping those words is virtue signalling.
    'Look at me everyone, I'm taking the moral high ground here, she has no where to go because how can you argue with racism and homophobia"

If you can't see that that's how it looks, maybe think twice about using them again as an analogy.
    They stand alone.
    They don't compare to a joke between friends family on FB.

I'm sure most people can see the joke for what it was, despite the feelings it might bring up in some. Like everything else on FB, if you don't like it block it.
    Move on.
    It's a click.
    Or you know, let's just ban humour and April fools day next.
    I think it's time to back off. Many women here including myself have stated we find it hurtful and offensive.

We have no interest in banning humour or spoiling others fun but we have every right to be upset that others are so flippant about a subject that we find so hurtful.

Like @gingermillie I'm in a different place now but 12 or 24 months ago a 'funny' post about a fake pregnancy would have had me in tears. I had tried for 3 years to get pregnant and every announcement during the last part of that was heartbreaking to me.

When I finally got pregnant I was overjoyed only to have a stillbirth at 23 weeks. Someone posted a fake announcement complete with 'food baby' photo last April fools day. I was less than 8 weeks post delivery. I sat in the shower for 2 hours and cried and I also self harmed.

For you this might not be a big deal but for others it is. I think it's in poor taste on a number of levels. A few people having a vent on a support forum don't need or deserve such rude and aggressive responses.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (02-04-2017),Californication  (02-04-2017),gingermillie  (02-04-2017),Green Cheese  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, i disregard any post that includes the words "thought police"...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (02-04-2017),Californication  (02-04-2017),gingermillie  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    whilst i do agree with what phony is saying in principle, i am basically of the opinion that there are topics that are simply not funny and the general majority of people, out of respect for propriety, would probably not post such insensitive nonsense.

tbh it's a certain kind of person who posts this sort of stuff, the sad, attention wh0ring type who'll use any kind of cheap material to get a bit of public attention.

if i saw this on my feed, i'd delete the person who posted it immediately. they're not the sort i'd deem worthy of being connected to in any way. i've actually taken a step off social media and so i can really see the value of phonys post too. social media is a fake world where people are entitled to post exactly what they wish, often tasteless and tacky things that are bound to offend others. if you don't like it, or can't hack it, remove yourself from this stupidity altogether.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

FarmMumma  (03-04-2017),Full House  (02-04-2017),Wise Enough  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default April Fool's

I think my thoughts on this depends on a number of factors.

If I was going (or had gone) through those things personally and the person that posted it knew my struggles, I would be completely peeved at that person.

I would probably say something to them privately that I felt their post was in bad taste. I definitely wouldn't call them out in public because I would have respect for them and believe they shouldn't be shamed into removing the post. They should be given the opportunity to make their own decision. If they kept it even after our private discussion, I would think seriously about our friendship and whether it's worth it.

If I hadn't seen fit to tell that person my issues, I wouldn't judge them at all as they have no duty of care towards me about those things.

They may also have had the same experience as me which is no one on my feed has ever made this joke so they may not have ever seen someone say that it's hurtful for those jokes.

I am all for people having the right to feel upset, but if I had posted this joke (and I definitely wouldn't) and someone was having issues about this topic (and they hadn't told me previously) I would be pretty p!ssed back at them if they had decided to attack me publicly about it, or if messaging me privately was not done in a respectful way. I would pull the post down regardless, but i would actually think about removing them or restricting their access to my page because I believe that no matter what the issue is, you should have a mature discussion with your "friends" and even if they have had this discussion with 12 other people before, it's the first time they had it with me and I don't deserve any less respect just because I posted a bad taste joke in naivety.

(To be clear, I wouldn't be judging them for being upset, I have no issues with that, I would be judging them for how they chose to deal with it)
    Last edited by Lanabananah; 02-04-2017 at 08:08.