+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Change toddler's sleep routine

Hi everyone, i have DS that's almost 3 y.o.

When it's bedtime at night, he wants to sleep on our bed and i have to lay next to him until he falls asleep and then I move him to his bed. He also needs to dring A LOT of milk (about 500-750ml) while laying in bed in order to fall asleep.

I would like to somehow make him go sleep on his bed (he refuses to do so) and I don't mind if i'm next to him or reading to him or whatever it takes for him to fall asleep.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD has cuddles and a bottle of milk on the couch, then does her teeth and has a story while she's tucked up in bed, goodnight kiss then leaving her room while she's still awake.

It took us a while to get her to stay in her own bed, but being consistent has really paid off. If she gets up the first time we explain that it's bedtime and she needs a good night's sleep, but if she gets up again we just lead her back to bed again and walk out. It's been easier for us than what it would be for you though because we have put her to bed awake for quite some time. A friend of mine is currently trying the method of sitting on a chair beside her son's bed, then gradually moving the chair out of the room so he learns not to depend on her presence to fall asleep. Hopefully something like that will work for you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbletrouble For This Useful Post:

Joyang  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my almost 3 year old DS he has a bath then straight to bed, I then read to him and lay down with him listening to relaxing music until he falls asleep. It does take a while but he usually settles once the light go out. Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

Joyang  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These sound like good suggestions! I'll try to find a way to first make him get into his bed and then figure out which one of the suggestions will make him stay there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it he is scared of the dark or something? We got DS a touch torch which he will sometimes hold as he is falling asleep but it is beside his bed if he wakes up in the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he's not, hasn't mentioned anything like that either, I think he just likes to sleep with us rather by himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD used to wake up in the middle of the night calling out for us, but that stopped once we put a night light out in the hallway so if she does wake up it's not completely dark. Could be worth trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bubbletrouble there's light in his room and our room (its' been there since he was born so I can get up at night and check him while he sleeps) so that's not the problem.

On the other hand, I ordered a brand new car-looking bed for him and showed him the picture and he's excited about it and talking about it all the time. I hope when it comes he will still be excited and want to sleep there. I am thinking if I am to try and change his routine it should be then.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joyang For This Useful Post:

bubbletrouble  (04-04-2017),FarmMumma  (04-04-2017)