+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying with a 7 month old - overnight or during day better?

We're going to America in July with our son who will be 7 months at the time. We need to book a domestic flight to Miami which will be about 5 hours long and wondering if anyone can give advice on whether to choose the late night red eye flight and hope he sleeps or should we rather fly during the day and have to entertain him. I'm just conscious of those on the red eye flight who need to sleep and what if he cracks it? But then it would be so much easier if it's night time and he sleeps.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is child dependant.

DS slept on planes. He slept on me and BF to sleep all the time.

DD does not sleep as she is too busy and interested in the world. And does not BF to sleep as well as DS did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whichever is most convenient for you guys and your trip I say! Don't worry about everyone else ☺
    We just flew to Canada 2 flights and just went with the flow, kept with her awake windows and she behaved really well. She is just 10months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go direct to Miami. You'll arrive around 8pm then be able to put your ds straight to bed from the airport.

If you don't go direct you would need to consider a long wait in the airport or getting a hotel for a while.

If you get the red eye and arrive in the morning there is still no guarantee that ds will sleep on that flight either. You could end up with a grumpy baby all day long and be just as tired yourself.

Have a look at Webjet that'll give you an insight into flight times etc. remember when you do book make sure there is only 1 connection to Miami and not 2.

IE
    MEL-LAX-MIA is what you want

Not

MEL-BNE-LAX-MIA or
    MEL-LAX-ATL-MIA

My sister lives in NY and she has always flown direct to here and vice versa with her dd from the time she was 8 weeks old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the child.

Does he sleep well overnight?

I flew 5.5 hours regularly with ds3, I just kept him on the b0.0b for most of the flight, and he slept pretty well like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He generally is a good night sleeper usually only waking once with a dream feed however have had a rough week as he's adjusting to not being swaddled since starting to roll over.

Unfortunately there's a few days between when I arrive in San Francisco and when I leave for Miami so the flight to Miami will be separate. I'm leaning towards the day time flight so we arrive in Miami at 6pm but it will be 3pm in San Francisco so by the time we're settled he'll be ready for a bath and bed around 7pm and we just keep him entertained on the flight and maybe will actually be good if he only has a short nap. Whereas the red eye flight leaves at 9pm so we'd have to have him sleeping for a few hours then disrupt him and then when the flight arrives in Miami at 5:30am it's actually 2:30am in San Francisco I think it would be a nightmare!
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 01-04-2017 at 09:44.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying with a 7 month old - overnight or during day better?

Having read how your going to fly is definately still go the day flight. As you have already looked at the time difference it could still be horrible doing an overnight flight when you yourself want to rest. When you get to Miami you may just have to try and stretch him a little bit longer to stay awake. Try and get a direct to Miami from San Francisco aswell and not one with another lay over somewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point about me needing to rest @babybeeno1, day flight it is!

One more question which is probably tricky to answer but will ask anyway for opinions, is a dummy a good thing to have when travelling? Now that ds is almost fully adjusted to being unswaddled, we're going to slowly ease him into self soothing (he's 4 months old). He's already showing signs he's ready so would prefer to catch him early so we have him settling well on his own by 6 months (fingers crossed!) and hoping this makes travelling a bit easier. So my question is whether anyone has found a dummy to be a lifesaver when travelling? He hasn't ever been dependent on one, but I use it occasionally to help him settle if I find he's looking for something to suck on, I try not to feed him to sleep unless it's middle of the night and sucking his hands seems to frustrate him. Mostly I just give it to him as a sign it's bedtime and he sucks for a few minutes then either spits it out or I take it out. So wondering if I should get rid of the dummy now when teaching him to self soothe, or am I going to wish he has a dummy mid flight? Not sure if I can continue using it partially like I am currently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your welcome Hun. Can't help you with the dummy one as DS1 only had one for 3 months but he did his flight at 5wks then again at 6 months. Their little ears need to be equalized on take and landing so it could be useful for that or just pop him on the boob which is what I did. DS2 did his 1st flight at 5.5months to qld and we are off to Fiji next month again he had a dummy for month but only as a ssshh suck on it and spat it out pretty quick. He went on the boob for flights aswell. Just make sure you have toys, books, his special blankie, milk, food water for him and he might be fine. I've found the older they get the easier they can communicate and say if something is wrong. Food wise i Coles in the health food aisle there is are potato crisps that are in long packets, gluten free i use these on my boys to suck on when taking off etc don't know the brand but I've attached a picture of the other item they sell in the range IMG_1491104972.373275.jpg