ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    This is unfortunately a real thing. Not for Centrelink maybe, but i have needed to help someone with a financial hardship application to a government department. The person had to supply bank statements. The agency refused the financial hardship application on the basis that the person bought too much (cheap!) fast food. Outrageous.

So while not everyone's transactions are likely to be scrutinised, there is absolutely that privacy risk, which can affect the most vulnerable.

There have also been suggestions credit providers closely look at individual transactions too to check on things like 'frivolous' spending habits of credit applicants.

No, we need to keep the ability to have private cash transactions i say.
    They can already do this though - if banks (or others) wanted to check someone's statement they will. According to this article they estimate 3/4 of face to face payments are Tap and go transactions right now, so most of peoples activities are recorded on statements anyway. Plus even if you are using cash, they could question why you are withdrawing such and such amount regularly. Even if they can't track where that money went at the end of the day it's still missing and could impact on decision making anyway.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...ociety/8377288

Abc news has a few good articles on the impact of cashless society. I think people have valid concerns but technology is moving us that way whether we like it or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    They can already do this though - if banks (or others) wanted to check someone's statement they will. According to this article they estimate 3/4 of face to face payments are Tap and go transactions right now, so most of peoples activities are recorded on statements anyway. Plus even if you are using cash, they could question why you are withdrawing such and such amount regularly. Even if they can't track where that money went at the end of the day it's still missing and could impact on decision making anyway.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...ociety/8377288

Abc news has a few good articles on the impact of cashless society. I think people have valid concerns but technology is moving us that way whether we like it or not.
    I don't get any benefits.
    How is a centrelink payment made?
    To a bank account or does it have to be collected each week?
    Showing my age here.
    Back home it was a weekly deposit in the local Post Office.
    You had to show up to get the money out.
    I'm sure it's by bank now but most people would probably take that cash out weekly if they're living week to week, no?

I know it's headed this way but if so, they need to cover all bases before making the leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    At my DD's school, we can pay for lunch orders via an app!

But as previously mentioned, changes will be going through later this year to allow an email address or phone number to be linked to a bank account. Theoretically, you would just use an app to say 'pay $5 to mum@school.net' and she'd instantly have everyone's payments in her account, then use that to pay at the sushi place.
    See, I just don't like this idea at all.
    How easy is it for your email account to be hacked.
    Too easy.
    And how ardent would hackers be knowing everything single penny you have is only an email away.
    I don't have any email accounts attached to my bank.
    Too many ways it can go wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    They can already do this though - if banks (or others) wanted to check someone's statement they will. According to this article they estimate 3/4 of face to face payments are Tap and go transactions right now, so most of peoples activities are recorded on statements anyway.
    The point is that people currently have a choice, whether they think about it or not. I think the ability to have the choice to have anonymous cash transactions is important.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (30-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The more replies I read, the more firmly I believe that we absolutely could NOT be a cashless society. Not happening.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-03-2017),Phony  (30-03-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (30-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    See, I just don't like this idea at all.
    How easy is it for your email account to be hacked.
    Too easy.
    And how ardent would hackers be knowing everything single penny you have is only an email away.
    I don't have any email accounts attached to my bank.
    Too many ways it can go wrong.
    That's not how it works though. If someone has your bank account details, they don't have Access to your account - just the ability to pay you money. Same thing for the email/phone number.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    That's not how it works though. If someone has your bank account details, they don't have Access to your account - just the ability to pay you money. Same thing for the email/phone number.
    But it's another layer of identity attached to a bank account out there in cyberspace, which is in no way safe at all.

I will say one thing, advancements in technology and science are far out pacing our human brains, just because we can doesn't always mean we should.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (31-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its going to happen, whether we like it or not. There will need to be a lot of updates to legislation, improvements on security etc. And it will be more like 2030 or 2040 not 2020.

I do have privacy / security concerns but there will be no way to avoid it!

One hassle I can see is eftpos / credit card fees for small purchases like coffee. And charity donations / money to homeless people, buskers etc. Somebody mentioned buy sell swap, thats also a good point. I guess people will tend to swap more, or start using alternatives like bitcoin.

I very rarely pay for things in cash and only carry minimal on me, $20 or so.

I wont pay credit card or eftpos charges. For example, I do bring cash if I shop at Aldi because I think they should not be allowed to charge %age credit card fees - I actually thought it was illegal for large companies to do so. So if there was no cash, I simply wouldnt shop at Aldi until they removed credit card charges.

Very interesting topic.

Regarding Centrelink not having the resources to access people's bank accounts, you bet your bottom dollar they will do it! Pretty sure they already do. That may actually be a good thing in some ways in terms of stopping centrelink fraud, bikers etc. Seeing WHAT people actually buy is a whole different matter though. I cant see laws that allow centrelink to access this data ever getting through. Things like flybuys obviously track you already.
    Last edited by DynamiteandaLazerBeam; 31-03-2017 at 19:49.