+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It's a tough one.

I work 5 days with a 20 minute commute. I have been doing this for almost a year, previously I worked 4 days (same commute). I really miss my day off and if I could I would go back to 4 days. However your commute is an absolute killer and in your 4 days at the moment you really are doing the equivalent of 5 days anyway.

Once you have the new job, is there a chance you could take it back to 4 days (once you settle in).

I personally hate commuting and would probably do anything to avoid it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you negotiate 1-2 days at home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Can you negotiate 1-2 days at home?
    Maybe but I kind of liking working in an office! I work from home at the moment 2 days per week to avoid the horrible commute. I'd still have to put DD in daycare as I def can't work when she's at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've gone to 5 days again this year just to be closer to home. We've made some adjustments to make it work (DH starts/finishes early to do school pickup, hired a cleaner, take away one night a week) but so far so good.

My commute wasn't huge, 40min and now 20 min. But I now have no chance of traffic (maybe the odd tractor for a few kms) and I love the extra time with the kids every morning and night. It doesn't seem like a lot but I was travelling 4+ hours a week for 3 days work and now I travel 3hrs 20 min for 5 days, plus get more pay.

I don't know if this will change for you but, despite technically doing the exact same job (primary teaching), my job in the country is less stressful than it was in the city. So despite physically being there more days, those days are shorter and I am happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would without a doubt go 5 days! That commute must be soul destroying! You won't have to work 5 days a week forever. This sounds like a great opportunity, there may be the chance to drop a day in the future, or the experience you gain could lead to another position with less days in the future. Just think, it's more annual leave you're accruing, so more of a chance to take the odd day off here and there if you and/or DD need it. Your days will run much more smoothly without the long commute. I say go for it - and congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Career change - good idea?

I'd take it in a heartbeat. Sure it's an extra day and cost at daycare, but no more horror commute means you'll see your DD more as you'll leave later and be home earlier. Go for it I say! Good luck with the decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'm still undecided... I need to make up my mind before the opportunity is gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Is daycare near your house or work? This week DD was sick at daycare. From the time they rang, til I was home with her was less than 30 mins.

For you at the moment you would either be over 2 hours til you got to daycare or otherwise take a sick Bub on the 2 hour trip. Your new job would make the whole thing less than 30 mins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Is daycare near your house or work? This week DD was sick at daycare. From the time they rang, til I was home with her was less than 30 mins.

For you at the moment you would either be over 2 hours til you got to daycare or otherwise take a sick Bub on the 2 hour trip. Your new job would make the whole thing less than 30 mins.
    Daycare is near our home. That has happened before a few times!! Luckily my mum or DF has been able to pick her up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Career change - good idea?

I've made my mind up and decided to take the new job, subject to them sending through a contract with what was promised.

Thanks everyone!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Cue  (25-05-2017),frankie46  (25-05-2017)