+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Career change - good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    My undergrad degree was in health promotion and I worked in the field for 10 years and broadly teach undergraduate health promotion/public health. It's a field that ebbs and flows in terms of investment in the sector and therefore jobs. You will rarely find a job called 'health promotion officer' or the like. If you search for project officer/project manager/community educator/program manager/community development type roles (and some jobs are defined as lifestyle advisers which I detest!) in local government, state government health and welfare departments and specific NGOs that's where/how you'll find work in this field.
    I want to ask you a million questions! But I'll stick to a few important ones if you could advise I would so appreciate!!
    Do you think health promotion suits a certain type of personality? I know in the job ads I've read there's big emphasis on relationship building. I've never been a networking type. Is this something that is addressed during the course or more of a personality thing?
    Is it a young persons area or is life experience valued?
    Last one - I'm thinking of training as a breastfeeding counsellor / community educator for the ABA to get some experience working directly with mothers / communities. Do you think this would be valuable experience for health promotion roles? Or would I be better getting on with my study and trying to get my foot in a door after??
    Thanks!
    ETA: sorry this looks like I'm asking for specific career advice I just don't really know who / where to find out more before I jump into another study area that might not lead to a job 😬

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I want to ask you a million questions! But I'll stick to a few important ones if you could advise I would so appreciate!!
    Do you think health promotion suits a certain type of personality? I know in the job ads I've read there's big emphasis on relationship building. I've never been a networking type. Is this something that is addressed during the course or more of a personality thing?
    Last one - I'm thinking of training as a breastfeeding counsellor / community educator for the ABA to get some experience working directly with mothers / communities. Do you think this would be valuable experience for health promotion roles? Or would I be better getting on with my study and trying to get my foot in a door after??
    Thanks!
    ETA: sorry this looks like I'm asking for specific career advice I just don't really know who / where to find out more before I jump into another study area that might not lead to a job
    Ask away!
    I wouldn't say there is a personality type that suits health promotion work but with what you've raised definitely networking/relationship building/communication is a key attribute employers look for. It's not about having the networks in place first (however networking is a fantastic way to get a job in this sector) but the ability to establish and develop networks and relationships in the job. So you might work on a project that needs you to establish a project management group and you need to find and approach key contacts and get them on board. Or you need to seek funding or report to funders which requires specific communication skills. The ability to listen and be positive (and understand any politics involved) is well regarded. There is an Australian Health Promotion Association you can join - they often have networking events specifically so you can meet people in the sector. If you do a post-grad qualification (e.g. grad cert or grad dip) in health promotion they will probably (hopefully) have some kind of work integrated learning component such as a project that you work on for an external partner or even a placement. This is great opportunity to develop your networking and professional relationship building skills never underestimate this as just another piece of coursework you need to get through as sooooo often people eat jobs out of these projects/placements. It's how my career got kick-started.
    Definitely not a young person's career. Everyone is welcome! To the extent that people working in health promotion rarely have a specific qualification in the field. They might have a communications, public health, social work, psychology, public policy, behaviour all science etc background.
    Re the breastfeeding counselor opportunity. Given your background out of the workforce for a lengthy time yes I do think this is a good option. It would augment any post-grad study you do and give you opportunities to apply what you've learnt and demonstrate that you have experience in working with people in a community organization in a health-related field. As someone who has recruited many people yes I would see this as a positive on your cv especially if it was marketed correctly. We don't just look for qualifications experience is important whichever way that is achieved. If I had someone on paper who had the quals but no direct experience and another person with the quals plus some volunteer community organization experience I'd go with the person with the bit of experience.
    Hope this helps @Freyamum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Thanks!
    ETA: sorry this looks like I'm asking for specific career advice I just don't really know who / where to find out more before I jump into another study area that might not lead to a job
    Ask away!
    I wouldn't say there is a personality type that suits health promotion work but with what you've raised definitely networking/relationship building/communication is a key attribute employers look for. It's not about having the networks in place first (however networking is a fantastic way to get a job in this sector) but the ability to establish and develop networks and relationships in the job. So you might work on a project that needs you to establish a project management group and you need to find and approach key contacts and get them on board. Or you need to seek funding or report to funders which requires specific communication skills. The ability to listen and be positive (and understand any politics involved) is well regarded. There is an Australian Health Promotion Association you can join - they often have networking events specifically so you can meet people in the sector. If you do a post-grad qualification (e.g. grad cert or grad dip) in health promotion they will probably (hopefully) have some kind of work integrated learning component such as a project that you work on for an external partner or even a placement. This is great opportunity to develop your networking and professional relationship building skills never underestimate this as just another piece of coursework you need to get through as sooooo often people eat jobs out of these projects/placements. It's how my career got kick-started.
    Definitely not a young person's career. Everyone is welcome! To the extent that people working in health promotion rarely have a specific qualification in the field. They might have a communications, public health, social work, psychology, public policy, behaviour all science etc background.
    Re the breastfeeding counselor opportunity. Given your background out of the workforce for a lengthy time yes I do think this is a good option. It would augment any post-grad study you do and give you opportunities to apply what you've learnt and demonstrate that you have experience in working with people in a community organization in a health-related field. As someone who has recruited many people yes I would see this as a positive on your cv especially if it was marketed correctly. We don't just look for qualifications experience is important whichever way that is achieved. If I had someone on paper who had the quals but no direct experience and another person with the quals plus some volunteer community organization experience I'd go with the person with the bit of experience.
    Hope this helps @Freyamum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @ gingermillie thanks so much for that detail about health promotion work, it's really helpful, I really appreciate it!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just submitted a job application!! I think my hopes are too high. If I don't get at least an interview I'll probably cry myself to sleep

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Cue  (02-04-2017),Frankenmum  (03-04-2017),gingermillie  (02-04-2017),rosewater  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Just submitted a job application!! I think my hopes are too high. If I don't get at least an interview I'll probably cry myself to sleep
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Good luck!
    Thanks the recruiter called me at 9:30 today so a good sign that they are (at least sort of) impressed with my CV. Fingers crossed

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Cue  (04-04-2017),Frankenmum  (03-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-04-2017),mint80  (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get the job. Agh so depressing. I feel so useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the recruitment person emailed today and said the job is mine after all. Only now I'm having second thoughts...

It's full time and I'm currently working 4 days per week.

Ahhh what's better?
    1. 4 days per week, horrible commute (2 h 15 mins each way) for 2 days, work from home for 2 days
    2. 5 days per week, 20 min commute each way.

Pay is the same.
    Option 2 requires paying for an extra day daycare day ($100).

Not sure I'm ready to work full time as I have a 2 year old but opportunities like this are far and few between.

What to do?!?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Career change - good idea?

Double post