+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Since you have previous travel experiences, i suggest traveling industry will likely to suit you.

Good luck! for the future endeavours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    Im not really much help. But wanted to say Im also 33 and currently doing a complete career change in preparation for my when my youngest is at school.
    It is hard work but so satisfying and exciting. Good luck for whichever area you decide to go
    What are career are you changing too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    What are career are you changing too?
    Im going into tourism. I only had to do a diploma but may go onto do my bachelor once I get a job in the industry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for today's peeps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm 36 with 2 kids and working on a career change. I just left a job in project/account management for a tech company and am studying psychology. After this semester I will have 5 subjects left to complete the graduate diploma, then it's another year for a post-grad diploma but I don't know if I'll take it that far. It'll depend on my grades I guess.

I think a career change in your 30s or 40s is a great thing if you're able to do it.

With a science background, would something like dietetics interest you? Or are you not looking for something people-facing?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    As above, most of my friends used biomed as a stepping stone to pharmacy or medicine. The degree alone doesn't really qualify you for much except research and then you're looking at Phd etc which is hard work.
    What about a diploma or degree in health promotion or similar? Do you have a health background?
    Not wanting to hijack this thread but are there jobs in health promotion? I'm looking for a career change but much older than OP (44!!!). I could do a diploma in health promotion in a year and fits in so well with my last qualification (Msc in health psychology) but I see so few jobs advertised!!
    OP I don't know about biomed but I've been considering occupational therapy as it's definitely a growth area. However for me studying online is so much more feasible and no OT courses online yet 😞. It's so hard to know what further study will really lead to jobs. I did my masters before I had kids and even then I couldn't get into research or a health psychologist type role. I ended up in a niche role in public health that doesn't exist in Australia! I find joboutlook.com.au is helpful for more info on jobs re their pay, part time options and size / job opportunities etc but not all roles are listed. I know lots of people study what they like and kinda fall into jobs but personally I feel at my age that strategy is too risky. We can't afford for me to study for years and not get any work at the end...
    good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Career change - good idea?

Hijack away @ Freyamum!

I'm excited, just found a job on seek that I really like the sound of and can do with my current skills and it's 20 mins from home (instead of 2.5 hrs). BUT, the but is that it's full time...
    So now my question is how people go working full time with a toddler? Do you feel like you get to spend enough time with them?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (31-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Not wanting to hijack this thread but are there jobs in health promotion? I'm looking for a career change but much older than OP (44!!!). I could do a diploma in health promotion in a year and fits in so well with my last qualification (Msc in health psychology) but I see so few jobs advertised!!
    OP I don't know about biomed but I've been considering occupational therapy as it's definitely a growth area. However for me studying online is so much more feasible and no OT courses online yet . It's so hard to know what further study will really lead to jobs. I did my masters before I had kids and even then I couldn't get into research or a health psychologist type role. I ended up in a niche role in public health that doesn't exist in Australia! I find joboutlook.com.au is helpful for more info on jobs re their pay, part time options and size / job opportunities etc but not all roles are listed. I know lots of people study what they like and kinda fall into jobs but personally I feel at my age that strategy is too risky. We can't afford for me to study for years and not get any work at the end...
    good luck!!
    My undergrad degree was in health promotion and I worked in the field for 10 years and broadly teach undergraduate health promotion/public health. It's a field that ebbs and flows in terms of investment in the sector and therefore jobs. You will rarely find a job called 'health promotion officer' or the like. If you search for project officer/project manager/community educator/program manager/community development type roles (and some jobs are defined as lifestyle advisers which I detest!) in local government, state government health and welfare departments and specific NGOs that's where/how you'll find work in this field.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (31-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have anything to help but I hope you don't mind if I subscribe. I'm 41 with an arts degree and a masters in commerce but have no ideas of a new career that doesn't involve masses of studies. Should have thought about that earlier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Hijack away @ Freyamum!

I'm excited, just found a job on seek that I really like the sound of and can do with my current skills and it's 20 mins from home (instead of 2.5 hrs). BUT, the but is that it's full time...
    So now my question is how people go working full time with a toddler? Do you feel like you get to spend enough time with them?
    Sorry no advice on working with toddler but that's great about that job. Have you applied or trying to figure out logistics? After reading millions of job ads and getting so down hearted I get so excited if I see anything I feel I could do!