+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't seen any facts stated?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-03-2017),TheGooch  (30-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like I'm reading something that has gone through an online translator.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (30-03-2017),Californication  (30-03-2017),DJ Nette  (30-03-2017),ICanDream  (30-03-2017),JR03  (30-03-2017),Lincolns mummy  (30-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (30-03-2017),softshellcrab  (30-03-2017),TheGooch  (30-03-2017),twinklify  (30-03-2017),wheelsy  (30-03-2017),Wise Enough  (30-03-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I'm not quite sure what angle you want to discuss it from. Has there been any research into the development of intellection in children?

I'm not sure you can count anecdotal accounts as facts. But we can discuss observations as parents or as people if that's what you want?

My son is still at a stage where he struggles with abstract ideas but his thought processes have obviously become more complex as he has gotten older. Personally there are topics that I just didn't get when I was a teenager but since going to uni I can more readily understand them. In fact becoming a mum has change my perspective so much that there are things that suddenly click that never used to. So development in this area doesn't exclusively occur in childhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wise enough:

Presumably and in fact demonstrably intellection doesn't proceed at the same pace with all children. Nor equally in all areas.
    Fact 1: intellection doesn't proceed at the same pace with all children.
    Fact 2: intellection doesn't proceed equally in all areas.

You should remember not all things interest all people equally. And things that don't interest us often make little sense to us. I can hear my friends talk with great animation about Australian Rules Football and it's all double dutch to me.

Though I quite believe what they're saying is really quite simple. It is I who don't have the interest.

My question was posted, of course, to find if there were any people with an interest in the topic.

Not to annoy, puzzle, disturb those without an interest.

AdornedWithCats:

thank you for your post.

You are right on topic. Yes, I wonder if there has been any research. I am not aware of any. Couldn't google any.

I would view anecdotal evidence as 'possibly fact'. It is where factual observations begin, isn't it?

Observations as parents, observations as teachers, observations as theorists - whatever, it is all grist for the mill.

Yes, development in this definitely doesn't occur exclusively in childhood is my belief, too. I find that an interesting area, too.

I would simply like to gather thoughts, observations, facts, researches, opinions, theories on the subject and participate in discussions of them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Growth Of Intellection. Discussion?

Do you have children? Where does your interest stem from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Intellection doesnt proceed at the same pace because there are many different types of intelligence. It really depends what you focus on as a parent. Would you say a child with the capacity to speak 10 languages has demonstrated above average intelligence ? Probably. What if that same child has no social intelligence due to the fact that it was completely neglected. What about musical intelligence ?

I believe as human beings we all have a certain level of intelligence and that with great focus we can probably make certain types of intelligence stronger then others however i also think we are limited and its not purely based on interest. For an example i cant play an instrument.. i can probably learn to play one and play it well but will i be a musical genius ? Will i play concerts and become well known for my music purely based on the effort i put in developing this form of intelligence? I dont know. Im doubtful. Isnt that what they call talent?

I dont think you can have an extreme in one specific form of intelligence without the other types suffering a little because of the level required to grow a certain type of intelligence over others.

Intellection doesnt proceed at the same pace with all children because each child grows up in a unique environment with a unique focus (or in some homes, lack of focus).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, Simil, I'd go along with most of that.

What effect do you think computer gaming might have on intellect?

I know chiildren who spend more time each day in front of the computer, playing nothing but games, than they spend in the classroom.

They're not unusual I think.

Is that nurturing their intellect at all?

We hear of observations seeking to find measurable changes in IQ or skillsets - eg response times maybe - but no mention of overall intellect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Is this for a uni or tafe assignment you are doing? It kind of reads that way?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (01-04-2017),gingermillie  (01-04-2017),Wise Enough  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Children who spent a large amount of time on any activity will have limited time to develop their intellect in other areas.. including gaming. This is why balance is key in all areas of life. Not to mention the physical consequences of intense gaming /computer use such as back problems and neck issues seen in children as the gaming culture grows.
    Its easy to amuse a child or a toddler with an ipad assuming they are bored and have nothing better to do but being bored gives a child or a toddler time to think and process information.. to observe its environment , to learn to be less impulsive ... all which contribute to growth of intellection.

A lot of obsessive activities do lead to an increased growth of intellect but usually its one type of intellect.. neglecting other types. You could have a child obsessive with gaming.. who later grows up to be a gaming developer and develops creative and successful gaming products.. its a demonstration of growth of intellection but only one form. This adult will likely have other areas that they have neglected.

Ps i do think this is more or less for an assignment but its amusing none the less

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, nothing to do with any assignment.

Interesting, the thought that it might be. Why?

Because the growth of Intellect is not something that ordinarily a person would have any interest in?

And even with regard to parents?

The lack of interest perhaps indicates just that. But I'm new here and perhaps there are not too many members, I don't know.

The reaction of some members was also interesting. Seeming to indicate that not only did the subject not concern them in the least but that they found it almost incomprehensible

I wonder, do you think the growth of intellect is really that far from the common understanding? That far from any normal interest?

Even from that of parents?

That'd be very interesting if so.