+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Early waking/routine help 17 month old

Dd2 is now 17 months.

She has always been an early to bed/early to wake type (around 5/530am wake up) but over the past few weeks she's been waking between 430-445am for the day.

I tell her it's still night time and leave and she grizzles/sings/plays/calls out until I give up around 530am.

Bedtime is 6/630pm. Sometimes she sings to herself until 7pm. She has slept through consistently for a number of weeks now.

She was happily napping 2 times a day still - I assume because she's up so early- so last week I cut her down to one nap and now she sleeps around 1130/12 for around 2 hours. It hasn't made any difference to early waking but just means she's dreadfully tired from about 9am and 4pm (at least she gets hyper as opposed to whiny).

She has black out blinds/white noise/1.0 tog gro bag and short onesie (temp is around 23/24 degrees at 4am). Also she has a drink in her bed she helps herself to.

Am I missing something here?

With daylight savings ending this weekend the thought of being stuck of potentially even earlier starts horrifies me!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-03-2017 at 06:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is she cold? My kids wake this time if they're cold then they hear the birds and think it's wake time. Try adding a singlet onsie and maybe another sheet/blanket see if that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    Is she cold? My kids wake this time if they're cold then they hear the birds and think it's wake time. Try adding a singlet onsie and maybe another sheet/blanket see if that helps.
    I will try this.
    The issue is her room heats up like an oven in the late arvo, especially as it's been so warm, so it's 26-27 degrees when I put her to bed.
    I will pop the fan on and turn it off when I go to bed.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-03-2017 at 08:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I know what you mean it's a hard time of year cause it's warm going down to bed but cools down so much about 3-4am. I wish our ceiling fans had timers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD sounds exactly like yours! She's been an early riser since about 8 months old, she's 17 months now. It makes no difference if it's dark or light, what the temp is, which sleeping bag I use or how I dress her. But I refuse to go into her before 5.30. If she wakes earlier than normal I just leave her until I'm ready to go in. Obviously if she was distressed I'd go in but she never is - just awake. Usually if she wakes early (around 4.30) she'll go back to sleep after a bit. I get up at 5 to get myself ready for the day before I go to her and stuffed if I'm getting out of bed earlier than that!!

Edit to add - twice in the last couple of weeks she's slept until 6. It's been heaven! Nothing different about those days either. I'm hoping with all I've got that it becomes a more regular thing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No tips here (though I agree with trying some extra layers to see if that helps), but I do understand how challenging early risers are. My DS was like your DD when he was younger, and both kids are still up before 6am here. I am also already dreading daylight savings this weekend Is it possible to keep her up a little later and let her have that extra nap? At least until sleep readjusts after daylight savings.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    My DD sounds exactly like yours! She's been an early riser since about 8 months old, she's 17 months now. It makes no difference if it's dark or light, what the temp is, which sleeping bag I use or how I dress her. But I refuse to go into her before 5.30. If she wakes earlier than normal I just leave her until I'm ready to go in. Obviously if she was distressed I'd go in but she never is - just awake. Usually if she wakes early (around 4.30) she'll go back to sleep after a bit. I get up at 5 to get myself ready for the day before I go to her and stuffed if I'm getting out of bed earlier than that!!

Edit to add - twice in the last couple of weeks she's slept until 6. It's been heaven! Nothing different about those days either. I'm hoping with all I've got that it becomes a more regular thing!
    Lol @besha it does sound like our life here!

I was just ignoring her when it started (as she was never distressed) but read somewhere that you are more likely to get them to go back to sleep if you go in once to tell them it's nighttime- but I've done that the past two mornings and all it's resulted in is me dragging myself out of my cosy bed @430am lol and her staying awake anyway.

I too am up at 5am for work, and like to be dressed first before dealing with dd2 as it puts me on the back foot, and never *really* minded the early starts - except for my days off!!- but it just changes your whole mindset when it's before 5am! There's early, and there is god stupidly early! 😄

It's pretty funny when we consider 6am heaven hey?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-03-2017 at 12:49.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    No tips here (though I agree with trying some extra layers to see if that helps), but I do understand how challenging early risers are. My DS was like your DD when he was younger, and both kids are still up before 6am here. I am also already dreading daylight savings this weekend Is it possible to keep her up a little later and let her have that extra nap? At least until sleep readjusts after daylight savings.
    @sajimum I think my dd1 is close in age to your ds (or maybe your dd??) and has always been an early riser as well ie before 6am.

I fought that battle with her to no avail so I know it is mostly fruitless.

But yeah, with it now so bloody early, seriously before 5am is too damn early and daylight savings ending..... I'm starting to panic lol.

Then becomes the vicious cycle of having to put them to bed so early as they are so tired!

I like the idea of trying a little nap to help stretch her a bit at bedtime especially as I need to when the change of clock happens!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    @sajimum I think my dd1 is close in age to your ds (or maybe your dd??) and has always been an early riser as well ie before 6am.

I fought that battle with her to no avail so I know it is mostly fruitless.

But yeah, with it now so bloody early, seriously before 5am is too damn early and daylight savings ending..... I'm starting to panic lol.

Then becomes the vicious cycle of having to put them to bed so early as they are so tired!

I like the idea of trying a little nap to help stretch her a bit at bedtime especially as I need to when the change of clock happens!!
    My DS is 4 now so I think your DD1 would be closest in age to him (my DD is nearly 7). DD is actually our worst sleeper - she has ASD so it's not surprising but she is very very restless during the night and wakes very early (particularly when anxious/excited). At least both of mine are old enough to now know that they need to be very very quiet in bed until 6am but I remember those early waking days with DS so well - the pre-5am starts are really really wrong! It honestly sounds like you're doing everything right and I really hope it's just a phase for you and you can go back to "sleeping in" until 5am We are starting to push bedtime out here from tonight in the hope it will help with daylight savings.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    My DS is 4 now so I think your DD1 would be closest in age to him (my DD is nearly 7). DD is actually our worst sleeper - she has ASD so it's not surprising but she is very very restless during the night and wakes very early (particularly when anxious/excited). At least both of mine are old enough to now know that they need to be very very quiet in bed until 6am but I remember those early waking days with DS so well - the pre-5am starts are really really wrong! It honestly sounds like you're doing everything right and I really hope it's just a phase for you and you can go back to "sleeping in" until 5am We are starting to push bedtime out here from tonight in the hope it will help with daylight savings.
    Yeah dd1 is 4. Since about age 3 we brought a gro clock and she knows not to wake me before the sun comes up at 6am- mind you the gro clock is completely irrelevant when I'm up early with dd2, and dd1 can hear us so gets up as well 🙄

So I guess when dd2 hits around that age I can at least get to stay in bed until 6am then, if I can stop them fighting, only 500 odd sleeps till then 😂😂😂