+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @HillDweller I am having trouble too. can you please elaborate on what it meant that your egg and aperm
    Weren't talking!? I think I might have the same issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellzand View Post
    @HillDweller I am having trouble too. can you please elaborate on what it meant that your egg and aperm
    Weren't talking!? I think I might have the same issue
    Hi @shellzand basically, when they did normal IVF (so in effect just released the sperm into the same dish as the egg) most of the sperm approached the eggs but swam off without trying to penetrate it, or a couple would try to penetrate but give up quickly. They were able to see that on the video through the microscope. In our first egg collection we got 19 eggs. Of those, only one sperm managed to penetrate one egg to fertilize it, but it didn't grow. On the next round, we got 10 eggs, they injected sperm directly into those eggs using ICSI (so bypassing that point where the sperm need to make contact with the egg themselves) and 7 fertilized normally. 3 made it to day 5. We had one transferred (resulted in our DD) and we still have 2 on ice

Without IVF we never would have known that was happening. We had been diagnosed with 'unexplained infertility' because although I had a couple of factors (thyroid etc) it shouldn't have been enough to prevent us getting pregnant. My DH is quite a bit younger than me and had a slightly crappy SA but improved that heaps with menevit, so it should have happened for us in the years we'd been trying but we didn't know about this problem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HillDweller I honestly think we might have the same problem. He is very close to putting us down to unexplained but I am having a laposcrapy next Friday to be sure. Everything with me is fine besides a bit of a long cycle and slight irregularity and husbands sperm was great. With regards to IVF how much were you guys out of pocket? Did you have private Heath? Sorry if these questions are invasive I just really need to know, feeling very overwhelmed

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HillDweller I honestly think we might have the same problem. He is very close to putting us down to unexplained but I am having a laposcrapy next Friday to be sure. Everything with me is fine besides a bit of a long cycle and slight irregularity and husbands sperm was great. With regards to IVF how much were you guys out of pocket? Did you have private Heath? Sorry if these questions are invasive I just really need to know, feeling very overwhelmed
    No problem at all @shellzand
    We do have private health, although in all honesty, PHI doesn't cover much when it comes to IVF, only the hospital fees for egg collection. Medicare covers quite a lot of the actual IVF fees.

The first cycle we paid almost $8k but got almost $5k back from Medicare, so $3k OOP. The second cycle you are over the Medicare threshold (make sure you register for this!) so you get more back. Because we did ICSI in the second cycle it was $9k, we got $5,800 back so $3,200 OOP

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HillDweller ok thank you for the information! I am so nervous and down that IVF may be the only choice for us. Do you mind me asking how old you were when you had it, did it work for you guys the second time round? Sorry to pick your brains!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HillDweller ok thank you for the information! I am so nervous and down that IVF may be the only choice for us. Do you mind me asking how old you were when you had it, did it work for you guys the second time round? Sorry to pick your brains!
    Happy to answer questions @shellzand
    I was 36, DH was 27. The second round (the first actual transfer we ever did) resulted in our baby girl. She is 4 months old now.

I originally just refused to do IVF. I said if it didn't work naturally, that was it for us. All I can say now is I wish we had just done it sooner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much! Congratulations on the birth of your daughter ! I hope it works for me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much! Congratulations on the birth of your daughter ! I hope it works for me too
    Thankyou Best of luck to you, hope you're holding your own bub soon!