+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any thoughts on my mysterious toddler? :-)

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. I'm wondering if anyone may have any thoughts, similar experiences or advice about my beautiful 18 month old son who isn't really talking yet?

He's a little enigma. He doesn't really have any words besides "mumma, bubba" but they don't really have an associated meaning. He babbles non-stop, he is affectionate, loving, very sociable with the family and strangers, he has great eye contact so I don't really think autism is a factor. He responds to his name, does high fives and can follow simple commands like "give that to mummy" or "time to go upstairs". Other development milestones were fine, he's wallking, running, climbing all over things and can climb the stairs (with me hovering behind).

The issues are that he does not talk in proper words and he does not wave goodbye. He doesn't really point either. He definitely reaches out and whinges for things he wants especially food.

He does have a beautiful and vivacious dominant older sister who is a huge chatterbox. My son is ultra laid back, happy, engaged, cheeky and a big babbler. I think he's a bright little boy as he is very engaged, observant and I feel like he is absorbing a lot. But he just doesn't want to talk or wave. I can't work out if it's a language or speech issue or if he's just developing in his own time.

We read a lot, play together, talk and I've just started to introduce some basic signing which he seems to be interested in. He gets irritated when I try to make him name something or point to it. I won't do that anymore as I want language and learning to be fun.

I'm booked in with a speech pathologist for a developmental assessment soon and we've had his ears tested which seemed fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone might have any similar experiences, ideas or advice?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 17 month old DS2 has no words yet. I'm pretty sure DS1 had no words at 18months either he is absolutely fine now and in fact ahead in school. I wouldn't be too worried yet

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shebes For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shebes View Post
    My 17 month old DS2 has no words yet. I'm pretty sure DS1 had no words at 18months either he is absolutely fine now and in fact ahead in school. I wouldn't be too worried yet
    My dd2 is the same age as @Shebes and only babbles. She refuses to wave hello or goodbye either.

I'm not concerned Dd1 exploded with language shortly before 2 and now never shuts up!!!! I'm enjoying the quiet stage, because once they start they never stop lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you!

Thank you @Shebes! That's very reassuring :-) My gut instinct says he's ok but I guess I got a little fixated on the no words thing. Glad your little ones are going well :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you too!

Thank you @Little Miss Sunshine! That's too cute lol! I think I can be more patient with him and let him discover the joy of language in his own time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZigZagMum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any thoughts on my mysterious toddler? :-)

He's sounds completely normal especially for a second child. There's a great chance he'll have a word explosion just before two. I wouldn't worry yet x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you :-)

Thank you so much @bel2466, that's so lovely and reassuring. I will calm down and be patient :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZigZagMum For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (27-03-2017)