+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any thoughts on my mysterious toddler? :-)

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. I'm wondering if anyone may have any thoughts, similar experiences or advice about my beautiful 18 month old son who isn't really talking yet?

He's a little enigma. He doesn't really have any words besides "mumma, bubba" but they don't really have an associated meaning. He babbles non-stop, he is affectionate, loving, very sociable with the family and strangers, he has great eye contact so I don't really think autism is a factor. He responds to his name, does high fives and can follow simple commands like "give that to mummy" or "time to go upstairs". Other development milestones were fine, he's wallking, running, climbing all over things and can climb the stairs (with me hovering behind).

The issues are that he does not talk in proper words and he does not wave goodbye. He doesn't really point either. He definitely reaches out and whinges for things he wants especially food.

He does have a beautiful and vivacious dominant older sister who is a huge chatterbox. My son is ultra laid back, happy, engaged, cheeky and a big babbler. I think he's a bright little boy as he is very engaged, observant and I feel like he is absorbing a lot. But he just doesn't want to talk or wave. I can't work out if it's a language or speech issue or if he's just developing in his own time.

We read a lot, play together, talk and I've just started to introduce some basic signing which he seems to be interested in. He gets irritated when I try to make him name something or point to it. I won't do that anymore as I want language and learning to be fun.

I'm booked in with a speech pathologist for a developmental assessment soon and we've had his ears tested which seemed fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone might have any similar experiences, ideas or advice?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I has a similar experience with one of mine not saying as much as the community nurse thought he should. She had a freak out and insisted he needed early intervention.

We went to a speech path who was quite awful (basically told me I was a bad mum).

We then had his ears tested and that was where his problem lay. All resolved by itself (he's just fine), but we were so relieved to hear the ENT's measured, knowledgable, calm assessment.

So, I can't help exactly but just wanted to suggest you may need to take the advice you initially receive with a grain of salt. The person you see may give you great confidence and help which is awesome, but if not don't doubt yourself like I did. It might just take someone with broader training and experience to put you and your son on the right path.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

ZigZagMum  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My middle child was like that. We did the Hanen 'it takes two to talk' program and that taught me some different tricks to use with him. It really worked well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you!

Thank you for sharing @ricepudding :-) I'm glad your little is well. That's terrific advice that I will definitely keep in mind :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you too!

Thanks @amyd! I will definitely look up that title. I'm searching for more tricks or strategies just to see if it might help him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 took a while to use proper words because she didn't have to, her sister got her whatever she wanted. Also I wasn't making her work for it. She would gesture and I would get it. I worked on me rather than her

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks!

Thanks @Wise Enough :-) I can absolutely relate to that and should have listed that as another factor!xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just had exactly the same issue with our DS, he would only say dada and papa by 2yrs old. He is a super bright and intelligent little boy and created his own little sign language to communicate with us, which worked fine for at home but he was struggling to communicate at daycare. We were referred to a speech therapist who has been brilliant, she confirmed my suspicions that there was nothing "wrong" with him, he just needed a little help mastering language. We've just been signed off after 6 months of fortnightly visits, and while he's still behind other kids his age his come along leaps and bounds - he's got around 100 words now and has just started putting two words together.
    My advice would be to start a little bit of therapy to give him a kick start - once they get the hang of it there's no stopping them! My DS is constantly chattering away now 😊

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreaming For This Useful Post:

ZigZagMum  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both of my kids have been slow to talk. My first had barely any words until she turned 2, then she had a language explosion. She didn't need any extra help, she just caught up on her own. She was also a little late to point etc and I did worry for a short time.

My second is a different story. He's a little over 2.5 and still only has a handful of words, and those are not all that clear. He had glue ear and enlarged adenoids so has had that sorted for well over a year now. He does speech therapy (and it has taken some trial and error to find the right speech therapist) which seems to be helping, although it's slow going.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

ZigZagMum  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doing this in multiple posts as the keyboard on my iPad is all messed up!

So anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that I have had two slow talkers, one who is completely fine and one who isn't. DS is being assessed for autism (not just because of the speech, there are a number of factors - in fact our paed said that they no longer consider speech delay as part of autism specifically, but as a separate issue) and his speech delay is considers severe at this stage, so his situation is quite different. The main thing about DSs language development that differed from his sister was that he was quite slow to understand/comprehend language. This was more significant to me than his inability to say words. He also never uses any names like "dad" etc, except for "mum" which he uses for other adults too, not just me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

ZigZagMum  (26-03-2017)