+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding a 9 month old

Hi mums and dads, we have a gorgeous 9 month old who thus far, has a grand total of two teeth. We're trying to keep things interesting for her by way of diet, but we're unsure as to what exactly a 9 month old with only two teeth can actually eat. She's still being BF and topped up before bed with formula but for meals?

Obviously she's getting a great variety and selection of home made purées and slightly chunkier things - like rice, quinoa, lentils etc mixed through the purée, but just how chunky can a littllie with only two teeth manage?

We have a paediatrician friend who keeps telling us horror stories of babies with few teeth she's treated who choked on something chunky and ended up severely brain damaged - so she's got us worried! We know she's quite pendantic by nature so we're not sure whether she's being overly cautious or ...?

So, in the mean time (between now and when we go see the child health nurse or our regular dr) any advice on what you feed your 9 month old and what they manage without choking would be eagerly received.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD has been eating finger food since 6 months.

Banana, avocado, bread, eggs, watermelon, pasta, rice.

There is a huge difference between gagging and choking.

Gagging is good and normal. It is loud.

Also they have strong gums so use that to eat.
    l

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (26-03-2017),postie  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We skipped purées all together and did baby led weaning so DS by 9 months knew how to chew ( or really they gum at that age with no teeth!) and could just about eat what we did but as yours does not yet know how to bite, chew and regulate solid foods yet I would start slow , have you given her any finger foods?

Rice cakes are great as she will suck/gum them and it will melt in her mouth, same with toast with avocado , corn on the cob is great as they gnaw off tiny pieces of corn (and keeps them occupied for ages!) while broccoli heads steamed or thick cut carrot sticks steamed are great for learning how to bite, chew and swallow - they learn very quickly how much food they can handle, as OP said gagging is normal initially (and a great sign her reflexes are working)
    If you research BLW there are a ton of finger food ideas for that age
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 26-03-2017 at 14:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

postie  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow your Paediatrician seems very alarmist maybe she's referring to inappropriate foods being used that cause choking.
    Around 6-8 months and with only 2 teeth my dd was able to eat toast, sandwiches, watermelon, rockmelon and she was eating grated cheese, scrambled egg, avocado, steamed carrot sticks etc.
    if you google an approach called baby led weaning your mind will be blown lol - in this method babies have no purée at all and go straight onto soft finger foods around 6 months. They don't need teeth as they can use their gums really well and the proper chewing teeth (molars) don't come until well after 12 months anyway.
    Do some research into baby led weaning (also called blw) as there's lots of info there about gagging and choking that'll put your mind at ease. As @twinklify says gagging is a good thing as it's helping them recognize how to get food out and how much to put in and how much to chew.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

postie  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the responses. Yes... I do think she's way over the top and very alarmist. As first time parents... you kind of get stuck between a rock and a hard place ... using your common sense and then a highly qualified professional saying something conflicting, but that your gut tells you is way OTT.

Our little one has had watermelon and cheese, Avo, banana, pasta, rice - things like that so, while super soft, not really purée.

I'm with you, I think they're way more capable than the paed is giving credit and after all, third world country mammas don't pull out their blender!

Thanks for that... - off to read about BLW and by the sounds of it, have my mind blown!
    Last edited by postie; 26-03-2017 at 15:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you done a family first aid course? It would be beneficial so that you know what to look for & what to do if choking occurs. Might put your mind at rest.

Both my babies have been fine with finger foods from a young age. They do gag, but are pretty amazing at spitting things out if it's not suitable. BLW has loads of information.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

postie  (26-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had two babies that ate everything we ate from early on, & were great with finger food. I had one baby who was terrible & needed smooth purees for ages. She would gag regularly and vomit, & she also choked a few times. So my advice is - follow your child's lead, watch her for signs that she is struggling with managing the food you are giving her, and take you cues from her I am a huge believer in doing what is right for your individual child, following their cues, rather than subscribing to a particular method because the book (or website) says so.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

postie  (26-03-2017)