+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taking annual leave before maternity leave starts?

I'm still in planning stages here, trying to work out the best timing to start TTC.

We want to start trying as soon as it logically makes sense, I will qualify for long service leave at work next year (april) so I am trying to time it so that I will be past my 10 year anniversary before the planned due date.

What i'm unsure about is whether I would need to have passed that anniversary date before I plan to leave (say 2-3 weeks before due date) or if I would be able to take annual leave (so therefore still adding to my service to get to the 10 year mark) from when I leave until the baby is born - as long as the due date was after the 10 year mark would I be able to take the long service leave as part of my mat leave?

My workplace offers paid maternity leave (6 weeks), plus I will have approx. 6-7 weeks of annual leave accrued at that stage.

Based on what I've worked out from my cycle (currently on the pill still so that could all change when my cycle goes back to normal!) if we start trying in July my estimated due date would be less than a week after my 10 year anniversary at work. If we wait until August, the estimated due date is my Mum's birthday! I know that the date is only an estimate and it could be before or after that - and of course, that's assuming that everything happens really quickly and easily.

I am a complete over-planner and I know there are so many unknown factors but just wondering if anyone has any advice?

My husband and I are keen to start trying as soon as we can so if this all works out we could theoretically start trying earlier than I originally thought. I know a month or two is not that long in the grand scheme of things but it would just be nice to know if there's an option there. I could always talk to out HR manager but I would prefer not to have work people know that I'm planning for a baby (even if it is confidential) until I am actually pregnant/ready to tell them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It would really depend on your company's policy.

For mine I am pretty sure that during annual leave you still accrue long service leave. I am unsure though whether you can apply for annual leave in anticipation of using LSL during maternity leave though. Again this is something to check with HR or your leave policies.

I also did not accrue it during maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taking annual leave before maternity leave starts?

My understand is that as long as you use annual leave, LSL still accuses and counts (hence why your normal Holidays throughout the 10 years haven't pushed it back.)

It changes if you take any unpaid leave. That stretches your LSL date.

That's what happens for me... my LSL date last year changed by a week because I had taken a weeks unpaid leave a few years before that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd check with HR but I've just begun my leave and this is how I've worked it all out:

4 weeks of annual leave first (this will cover me until bubs is born)
    Next is the government paid maternity leave (this can't be taken until bub is born, hence why I'm using a few weeks of AL to get me by)
    Then I will use my remaining AL, Company paid maternity leave, then long service leave.

All leave entitlements still accrue while on paid leave except for the federal government maternity leave, for me that time off is considered leave without pay as far as my others accruing - does that make sense? Again, check for your workplace but sounds a lot like mine.

Personally, I'd just go for it. There are no guarantees when you'll fall pregnant. We tried for 6 months and ended up needing IVF. When we're new to the TTC game we often think pregnancy is going to happen really quickly and I too overthought it all so cycled and expected due dates wouldn't collide with birthdays or Christmas etc. our second daughter was due during the same week as her two cousins. My husband worried about this, but turns out she arrived 6 weeks early and has a whole birthday month to herself. So try not to overthink all that stuff, it's does your head in!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

sp1990  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I'll have a chat to HR to see what they think. I don't want to wait longer than I have to but it would also be a shame to miss out on the extra 8 weeks paid leave by only a few weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone used their 'keeping in touch' days while out of the office on maternity leave? It is not something I hear much about and was surprised to find out you can attend 10 days while out on maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemma8 View Post
    Has anyone used their 'keeping in touch' days while out of the office on maternity leave? It is not something I hear much about and was surprised to find out you can attend 10 days while out on maternity leave.
    No but in retrospect I should have in the lead up to returning to work so it wasn’t such a shock for myself and my DD’s

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its not something that is widely mentioned and I've not worked with anyone who has come back in (other than to say hi). I thought its a great idea but keen to hear how it would work in practice. Is one day a month ok? or would two separate full weeks work better in reality?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have used a couple of mine for meetings and training. I just submitted a time sheet to my manager which she approved and passed on to payroll so I could be paid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its not something that is widely mentioned and I've not worked with anyone who has come back in (other than to say hi). I thought its a great idea but keen to hear how it would work in practice. Is one day a month ok? or would two separate full weeks work better in reality?
    The employer would have to agree depending on the nature of your job and if its something that can be accommodated. So you can request it but they can decline on reasonable business grounds..