+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC #1 - Conception & Due Date Timing

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking at trying for our first baby. Providing everything all goes to plan, we are hoping to fall in April 2017. We are trying to avoid having a December baby as we already have three family birthdays and the usual festive season! All that aside, honestly we are happy with a healthy bub regardless whenever he/she arrives, but if we can time it, that would be good.

So I currently have my period (starting on 22nd March 2017), and we were going to start trying after that finishes. It looks like my possible ovulation/high fertility dates are calculated currently for the 1 - 5 April 2017. However I'm confused on due dates. I know that you're due date is usually calculated from the first day of your period, which is the 22nd March 2017 which would be a due date of the 19th December. However I have read that -

in your first week you are zero weeks pregnant
    in your second week you are one week pregnant
    in your third week you are two weeks pregnant
    in your fourth week you are three weeks pregnant
    in your fifth week you are four weeks pregnant

So with that all in mind, if we do start trying this cycle will that mean that we are more than likely to have a early December baby or as you're not technically pregnant for the first week, is it more like a January due date?

Totally confused and would love some information around calculating dates!

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Based on those dates.. You would be due on 27th Dec. Use a pregnancy due date calculator.. Eg from Baby centre

If you want a January baby.. I suggest you not try this month. Most private oB would be away at that time of year also .. So another reason to delay.

Goodluck
    Last edited by kylie764; 24-03-2017 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't totally understand though because some things I've read online say that due dates can be calculated from the date of ovulation. Which is due around 1 - 5th April. Is this not correct?

Thanks
    Reviews

DS & DD were both conceived in April & both born in December. DS arrived 29/12 & DD 19/12.

I know my conception dates with both as they were conceived through IUI/IVF (22/4 & 11/4).

Actual due dates were 13/1 for DS & 31/12 for DD.

Your due date will also take into account your cycle length if going off LMP. For DS & DD theirs was worked out from conception date. My current pregnancy (surprise natural) has been worked out using LMP with a 32 day cycle & is 4 May.

I know a few due date calculators use ovulation estimates but I don't think they are as reliable.

From memory I believe the OB works it out by adding 280 days from your LMP based on a 28 day cycle. If your cycles are longer you add the difference in days.

Just something to keep in mind if you do decide to try in march/April. During Christmas / New Years the hospital is on skeleton staff & if it's busy there's not enough midwives/nurses to help you if needed. I had next to no help trying to learn to breastfeed & failed both times. DS was born at a private hospital & DD was at a public hospital.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by babybump08; 27-03-2017 at 00:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DS, I ovulated 30th April and his due date was 21st January

So if you try this cycle, with ovulation around 1st - 5th April, you'd be due around mid Dec.