Poll: Would you breastfeed in public?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have breastfed all three of my children in public. I feel like half of Aust has probably caught a glimpse of my b00bs by now. I still feed ds2 (16 months) in public but it is getting a little awkward. He is very big for his age and walking and talking. But he is so attached i dont have the energy to say 'no' and tbh, dont care enough about the looks of others to say no either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not going to vote since I'm male, but Kudos to all of you that do feed in public, that stigma has to go.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (24-03-2017),CazHazKidz  (12-06-2017),LagoonK  (07-06-2017),SuperGranny  (24-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would have to say no, because I didn't with DS. He mostly consumed expressed breast milk though (for 13 long months!). I lacked that natural breastfeeding confidence and I was self conscious.

I am very happy to see breastfeeding mums out and about though - I'm very supportive of their right to feed wherever they choose to. I get so mad when I hear that people think/say that they should 'cover up'.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

LagoonK  (07-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    42 years old (nearly 43) and expecting my first.

I intend to breastfeed bub when he/she arrives, and will breastfeed when and where I need to. If that happens to be in a food court, restaurant, public space, then so be it.

BUT .... I always intend to cover up as best as I can. It might be a generational thing, but personally I am not comfortable exposing myself in public. And I don't think it's necessary that I do that in order to feed my baby effectively.
    You can get pretty good at pulling just enough boob out for Bub to latch on. If you wear clothes where you pull one bit up and one bit down (eg: BF singlet under a regular top) nobody can see a thing. I get comments all the time like "oh I didn't realise you were feeding"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (24-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only time I felt awkward feeding public was when I tandem fed my girls at a cafe and I guess just because it's awkward and you have to have your top basically off to feed 2 at once. The cafe lady had a double look but didn't say anything more surprised if anything. I do often do my grocery shopping while breastfeeding esp as DS is a hungry bub who feeds often.

I really wish the toddler feeding stigma was gone as last night we were out at dinner and dd2 who is 2 was asking for a feed I felt too uncomfortable to and felt silly trying to explain why all I could say was not here. ☹️

I almost forgot just recently my grandma said something about feeding bub in church but I hadn't even thought twice about it really. She was concerned they wouldn't want me to
    Last edited by Soon2be4; 24-03-2017 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I happily breastfed both my babies in public.

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have bf all my children and I did feed in public, but not for my twins. Sitting in a public space naked to the waist was not something I was comfortable doing. When I was feeding only one baby, I found it easy to just lift my top and attach bub under the cover of my clothing. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you breastfeed in public?

Yep. Have done.

Popped it out in the middle of a shopping centre because when the baby's hungry, everyone knows about it.

Got a few looks but who cares. No one died as a result of seeing my big floppy b0.00bs.

Eta.. Although I have attempted to cover up, my kids hated having something over their face, can't say I blame them either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never hesitated to feed dd in public and will do the same again when belly bub arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have fed in cafes and shopping centers, but if I was on my own, I'd usually go to a parents room. When I did feed out in the open, I would always use a cover for my own comfort. I don't really care if others were uncomfortable with me feeding there, that's their issue not mine. My 4yo is amazed that some parents rooms have tvs and a play area so I'm pretty sure she will insist we go into the parents room when her brother arrives in the next couple of weeks.