Poll: Would you breastfeed in public?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. With my first I usually tried to use parents rooms or cover up somewhere discreet but with my second I just fed wherever he needed it. I never had any issues with anyone saying anything to me directly. I don't really know how people avoid feeding in public completely if the baby is exclusively breastfed unless they never leave the house or are very good at timing things! But mine both fed frequently, about every 2 hours, so it was free in public or be stuck at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah did it all the time. DD ended up a bit too comfortable about it though, when she was older (she stopped feeding at 20 months) she'd just get my boobs out anytime, any place. That got a bit awkward sometimes. I was discrete, she was not!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-03-2017)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I did feed in public though I wasn't always comfortable - usually because I was worried someone would disapprove. I fed inside and outside shopping centres, in cafes and restaurants, at the in laws etc. I never fed in a parent room actually.

Eta. Actually I stopped breastfeeding in public once ds got older than 1.5 or so. Partly because I didn't need to (he dropped feeds) and partly because I was too self-conscious bfing a toddler in public. Ds still bfs now at 3 actually.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 23-03-2017 at 23:51.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, all the time. Still do (DS will be 2 in June). I almost always have a full boob out with no kind of cover. I'm also more than happy to feed whilst walking around holding him.

Between the 2 kids, and nearly 4 years of breastfeeding, I've only ever had one negative comment, and I've had countless positive comments and smiles. One older lady stopped me once when I was in the supermarket with DS feeding in the carrier; told me how wonderful it was that young women could feel proud to breastfeed in public and that so much has changed. By the end of the conversation she had tears in her eyes and told me I'd made her day.

I don't always feel comfortable - certainly not with my first or when we were getting the hang of things - but i think it's so important for others to see women breastfeeding in public. New mums, future mums, friends/partners of future new mums... They all need to see women feeding their babies as though it's no big deal and an everyday thing... Because it is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, definitely! With my first, it took me a while to gain confidence feeding in public. By my second and third, I just fed wherever I was. I have large boobs and use a nipple shield, so I wasnt able to walk around and feed, but I would sit anywhere needed (or just cross legged on the floor if there were no seats available) and would breastfeed. By the third baby, I would also bring the breast pump and express under a cover when needed - but I had a small prem baby, an active toddler and preschooler, and I literally had no other choice but to get on with it and express wherever I needed to. Now I'm breastfeeding my 4th, I wouldnt think twice about feeding wherever the baby needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yep all the time. DP was at first a little uncomfortable and would offer me a wrap to cover with but I don't bother.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you breastfeed in public?

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Eta. Actually I stopped breastfeeding in public once ds got older than 1.5 or so. Partly because I didn't need to (he dropped feeds) and partly because I was too self-conscious bfing a toddler in public. Ds still bfs now at 3 actually.
    This is my rule. After about 12 months I stopped feeding both my girls in public and kept it for home. They were old enough to wait. Didn't stop either of them asking for "boob!" quite loudly out and about though

I've never had any negative experiences breastfeeding in public but I have received negative comments in general from others (like my MIL) that I continue to breastfeed when they are toddlers.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-03-2017 at 08:05.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (24-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always feed in public. Always walking around.

Generally I feed DD in the ergo 'on the go'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    42 years old (nearly 43) and expecting my first.

I intend to breastfeed bub when he/she arrives, and will breastfeed when and where I need to. If that happens to be in a food court, restaurant, public space, then so be it.

BUT .... I always intend to cover up as best as I can. It might be a generational thing, but personally I am not comfortable exposing myself in public. And I don't think it's necessary that I do that in order to feed my baby effectively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to go somewhere a little more private with my first (parents room or the car), but would breastfeed in public sometimes.

With my second, I had spent almost 2 months having countless nurses and paeds checking her latch etc, so I had well and truly got past my worries and would breastfeed wherever I was.
    I did, however, go somewhere private to express.