+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is 9 and I wouldnt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember I used to pay my 2yo in cheesy bacon balls to watch my newborn while I hung out the washing. She would remove anything smaller than a hand in case it was a choking hazard. And she would run and get me if she cried (I live in country in big house so it's kind of like hanging out the washing a couple of houses up in surburbia). She always did a fantastic job.

Yet my second daughter I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw her. She doesn't have the same comprehension of hazards as her sister did. She's 3 now and I still get her sister to watch her when I hang out the washing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (24-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I think it's important to note the responses here in bubhub land may be different than what the majority do in real life

Leaving your kids in the car to pay for petrol for instance- it's practically seen as child neglect on here
    . I may not leave my kids home alone if I go further than the bus stop, but I've never taken them in while I pay for fuel. Does that make me fully or partially negligent do you reckon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I did it this morning. She is home from school sick but I had to take my youngest to daycare and my son to school so I left her home whilst I dropped them there. I didn't want to take a sick child out or keep my son home from school when he's not sick.

She does walk our around the block dog by herself.
    I left my 11 year old at home on the lounge for an hour and a half last week...I went to the gym. I would absolutely leave a 9 year at home who wasn't dangerously ill for half an hour while I dropped siblings off. According to bubhub land I'm fully negligent. According to real life, I'm definitely in the majority!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I did not at 8 - but it wasnt because I had issues, just that she is an anxious child who didnt want to so would always prefer to come with me.

at nearly 11 she will happily stay home for up to a couple of hrs ... but its only a fairly recent development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My oldest is 6, so I'm not sure, but I think I would leave them for about an hour at around age 10 - 8 still seems a little young for me. But my 6 year old is very responsible - but also very anxious. I dont think she would be happy being left home alone. She is also a severe asthmatic, so I would never leave her when sick - even with a snuffly nose or mild cough - it can take 10 minutes for her to stop breathing with an asthma attack, so for me it is just not worth the risk there. But you have a different child and a different situation, & I dont think what you did was negligent at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 8 I would be happy with about half an hour - just long enough to go the the shop and get milk. DS1 is almost 7 and has stayed home for 20 minutes before between hubby leaving and me getting home. There was quite and elaborate plan in place about him calling us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Timely as my DD is 8yrs old, a few months from 9. I left her home for the first time 2 weeks ago to take her brother to school. She was home sick with a cold and quite happy to stay home. I was gone 15mins. She enjoyed it so much we are now in negotiation to let her stay home once a week while I take her brother to an activity (DH gets home about 20mins after we leave). She is very keen, I wouldn't consider it if she was an anxious child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So would you not take your other 2 kids to school or would you drag your sick child out to get them there?
    A.

Depends. If sick child had cough/cold/toncilitis that type of thing and we were going in the car. I'd take sick child.
    If they had gastro or we had to walk far I'd keep everyone home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son isn't old enough yet I don't know what age I will feel comfortable leaving him home alone, though my parents would let me be home alone for a couple of hours often when everyone went shopping at 8.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast