Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A

Thanks
    Reviews
    A - even more so if they were sick. If they aren't well enough to be at school, I wouldn't leave them at home alone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

DT75  (23-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really don't know. My eldest is 7, and I can't see it happening any time soon. But we live rural. We don't have close neighbours. I don't know if that makes him safer or not!

It's tricky though as if he was sick, I'd have to take DD to school as he is her buddy on the bus and takes her to class. So I think he'd have to come with me and just wait in the car, as by the time I got home, it would be an hour trip and right now I'm not comfortable with him being here alone for that long.

Having said that, I regularly left DD here alone when she was 3 and 4 to collect/take DS from/to the bus. She was often still asleep, the bus stop is at most 20m from our house and I'd be gone 5-10 minutes. I used to wake her, but she'd be upset and grumpy, so I asked her if she wanted me to let her stay asleep when I went and she said yes. So that's what we did. She knew where I was and was never scared. If she woke up before I got back, she'd just get up and read a book.

The difference for me is that I didn't feel she was truly alone. I could hear her if she went outside and yelled for me and the house was always in view. Whereas as if I left him and went somewhere, I'm gone-gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Its a bit different for us as we live rural so not easy access to neighbours etc..

My 9yr old i will leave in the house if i need to go somewhere and DH is down on the farm.

She can easily call him or go down to him if she needed. I always check where he is first so i ca point it out to her & id never leave her in charge of siblings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default How long would you leave your 8 (almost 9) year old at home alone?

Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    A - even more so if they were sick. If they aren't well enough to be at school, I wouldn't leave them at home alone.
    So would you not take your other 2 kids to school or would you drag your sick child out to get them there?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 23-03-2017 at 12:20.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long would you leave your 8 (almost 9) year old at home alone?

@BigRedV I would take my sick child along with me. I guess in the past when they were younger, we always had to take them sick or not so no real difference now as they get older.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (23-03-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (23-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So would you not take your other 2 kids to school or would you drag your sick child out to get them there?
    Take sick child with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A.....My 9 yr old I wouldn't. I also don't leave her home with her older sister who is nearly 13.

I started leaving my older DD home alone while I did the groceries down the road when she was 12. She is now home alone for a couple of hours some afternoons while I am doing after school activities with DD9.

I try and stick to what the law says in our state as I have an ex who is just waiting for me to stuff up. Although he has no qualms about leaving our 9 year old in the care of his 13 year old stepdaughter.

If my 9 year old was unwell I would take her along with me if I had to drop DD12 somewhere.

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This is not a simple question. Depends on the personality of the child, the location, the time of day/night. I have left my children home alone through the day sometimes, the oldest would have been 10 or 11 at the first time. There were strict rules about what they were allowed to do, and they would dob on each other if one broke the rules. Today, with mobile phones and such, i think children could be left alone once they are able to use the phone if there was an emergancy. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    (A)
    Despite her being very mature and responsible for her age, I wouldn't and haven't left her home alone as of yet.