+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,616
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,671
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default A rose by any other name - Fluff thread - does it really matter what food is called a

    So this season on MKR I have noticed a few teams getting slammed because their risotto "stands up" on the plate and isn't swimming in liquid. But they also say the flavour is great, rice is cooked well, etc. it got me thinking, if it tastes good, why does it matter? I often hear people say things like "traditional pizzas don't have much topping on them" or "pasta should be about the pasta, not the sauce" - but why does it matter? If you like the way it's cooked, why does it matter if you call it "risotto" or "beetroot and feta rice"? Not necessarily on MKR but just life in general, people get hung up on titles, saying "it's so nice but it's not really carbonara / carpaccio / whatever".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,277
    Thanks
    586
    Thanked
    452
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've often wondered the same thing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    3,574
    Thanked
    2,115
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I ordered food I might be a bit disappointed that it wasn't what I expected. Like if I ordered a burger and got a steak sandwich. Steak sandwich may be nice but if still be a bit like 'umm I thought I ordered a burger!' Wouldn't bother me too much though. If I'm at someone's house for dinner I really wouldn't give it a second thought.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    Mama Mirabelle  (23-03-2017)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,155
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    1,852
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't really know. The one I see most is people judging other people about how they like their steak cooked. "Oh you shouldn't waste a good steak by being well done". That's all fine and dandy but I feel like a rare steak left uneaten on a plate because the person won't touch it is probably a waste too. I eat my steak rare/Med-rare but if my friend is over and he eats his well done, who am I to say he shouldn't.
    I also like my stir fry dinners to be quite meat heavy and to have everything chopped bigger, rather than slivers. That's very wrong but I don't care, I like it that way.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,930
    Thanks
    3,518
    Thanked
    6,616
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I don't really know. The one I see most is people judging other people about how they like their steak cooked. "Oh you shouldn't waste a good steak by being well done". That's all fine and dandy but I feel like a rare steak left uneaten on a plate because the person won't touch it is probably a waste too. I eat my steak rare/Med-rare but if my friend is over and he eats his well done, who am I to say he shouldn't.
    I also like my stir fry dinners to be quite meat heavy and to have everything chopped bigger, rather than slivers. That's very wrong but I don't care, I like it that way.
    DH and I like well done steak - so many people cringe and comment! We don't like blood on our plate, the same as others don't like well done - why can't they just let people enjoy food how they like it without being snarky?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

    LaDiDah  (23-03-2017)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,616
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,671
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    If I ordered food I might be a bit disappointed that it wasn't what I expected. Like if I ordered a burger and got a steak sandwich. Steak sandwich may be nice but if still be a bit like 'umm I thought I ordered a burger!' Wouldn't bother me too much though. If I'm at someone's house for dinner I really wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Oh I agree with this, but a piece of steak on bread is pretty different to a mince patty on a bun so I'd be annoyed at this. But if I ordered risotto and it wasn't soupy, but still tasted amazing, I wouldn't be complaining. I actually do cook my risotto to the point where it's not soupy, I don't like it too wet lol.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,118
    Thanks
    2,008
    Thanked
    1,554
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a cooking show. It needs to be cooked correctly.
    Flavour is all well and good but if chicken is raw but has a nice sauce would you eat the chicken?

    ETA: watching it too and they haven't said the rice is cooked well. They've said 'stodgy' and 'overcooked'.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,418
    Thanks
    1,668
    Thanked
    1,161
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

    Default A rose by any other name - Fluff thread - does it really matter what food is ...

    I think with the examples the OP has posted, the thing is that the original versions of those foods are made a particular way and the professional chefs judging on MKR have probably tasted the original and best versions of those foods so that's what they expect. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well.

    Like if you were to eat a pizza or risotto in Italy where the dish originated the risotto would be creamy and liquidy and the pizza would be thin crispy base and light toppings. This is the original way these dishes were created and to a chef or a foodie is the best way to eat it. Now you can get a thick base deep pan cheesy stuffed crust from dominos and some people may even prefer that type of pizza but to a chef with a refined palate I don't think it would even compare to a traditional style woodfired pizza.

    So overall I don't think it matters what you call a dish but I do think that generally the original way a dish is made is usually the best and what people expect, so if you change it even if the flavor is good, some people will still take issue with you calling it a risotto etc when it doesn't really have the properties you expect from that dish.

    I'm not sure I've made any sense in this post, my brain is a bit sleep deprived today
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 23-03-2017 at 16:04.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,847
    Thanks
    3,405
    Thanked
    6,774
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    DH and I like well done steak - so many people cringe and comment! We don't like blood on our plate, the same as others don't like well done - why can't they just let people enjoy food how they like it without being snarky?
    I don't eat meat so it doesn't bother me but my BIL is a butcher and he hates people eating well done steak as he says you can't taste/experience the flavour properly when it's over cooked , plus he says if you cook and season and rest a steak properly there shouldn't be any blood!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,120
    Thanks
    2,308
    Thanked
    2,916
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't eat meat so it doesn't bother me but my BIL is a butcher and he hates people eating well done steak as he says you can't taste/experience the flavour properly when it's over cooked , plus he says if you cook and season and rest a steak properly there shouldn't be any blood!
    I'm not as fussy now I'm not pregnant but when pregnant I only ate my steak well done. I have never been exposed to toxoplasma and undercooked meat is the most likely method of transmission so I wasn't taking any chances.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Fluff thread: Name you best physical feature.
    By Maxwell's Silver Hammer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 21-02-2015, 23:24
  2. Brisi Mum to be!!!! Any other brisi chicks out there???
    By *Country Bumpkin* in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-01-2006, 12:55
  3. Any Other Bird Lovers/Breeders Out There?
    By Shazbutt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 19-12-2005, 10:15
  4. any other confused Secret Life Of Us fans?
    By amandajane in forum Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-11-2005, 20:20
  5. Any other mum's studying???
    By BaDaBing in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 19:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Impressionable KidsImpressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
I am... #20General Chat
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #3pregnancy and babies through IVF
Spectacular September TTCConception & Fertility General Chat
Failsafe dietFood allergies & intolerances
How do you stay awake at night?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Optimistic October TTCConception & Fertility General Chat
Come chat, Ladies who are 40+ TTC or ExpectingConception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›