+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This thread made me snort as I've often thought the same thing. My DD is in yr 7 this year and oh lordy, strap yourselves in girls. My angelic nerd has turned into a back chatting, constantly debating, dramatically eye rolling teenager Probably once a week is "the worst day of my life", along with tears and stomping around..... because I've told her she can't stay up past 11.30 or to hurry up and get to school.

My 10 year old DS1 is suddenly worried about popularity, his weight and will lose his shizz at the drop of a hat (they say there's a testosterone burst at this age, don't know how true it is). He also wants every device and game that's released YESTERDAY.

Oh and don't get me started about the cost of older kids I almost have a heart attack adding up what I've spent on my older two this year so far (well into the thousands).
    Yep. I've spent close to $5k this year on schooling alone (state school).

Then there is the "Mum, can I go to the movies this weekend?" Me (gullible) "Yes". Arrive at shopping centre. "Muuuuuum. I need money for the movies, lunch, then we are all going shopping afterwards and I have no clothes to wear to the free dress next week and you have to give me money or I don't know what I will doooooo. I just don't have anything I could possibly wear. Remember how I got in trouble ................ blah blah...............blah blah". Rinse and repeat every weekend with multiple children.

Not to mention Miss 12. Muuuum I neeeeed an Iphone . Why do I only have a second hand phone. Muuuuuuum. You've ruined my life. Rinse and repeat every. single. day.

My 14 year old went through a bad patch when she was 12 and screamed at me most days. All I can say is thank god for my neighbours not phoning the police. There were a few months when I was expecting DOCS to knock on my door. She has gone quiet now, but it is the eye of the storm really. I'm bracing myself for the next wave.

No matter how moody and revolting 8 - 14 year olds are, it is all just a warm up for the main act. The 15/16 year old girl. DD1 was vaguely pleasant until she hit 16 then OMG. Nothing could have prepared me for what she has put me though in the past 12 months.

All of my girls argue continually, fight and slam doors. DD16 could make a sailor blush with the language that comes out of her mouth.

I thought it would be nice to introduce a family games night. I bought some snacks and put out a few board games. Never again. Miss 16 counted every mouthful of food the others ate then bagsed the rest of the lollies. Turned into a huge I've only had one of those, and she's had three, yes three and it's not fair. You obviously bought the chocolate for me. You know I can't eat lollies with gelatine. I'm a vegetarian. You don't respect my beliefs. You like her better than me, I just know it.........................". Yeah. Haven't been any more family games nights.

Teens are too big to restrain. Too big to pick up and put to bed. A kiss and a hug won't fix things. They just know things and are right about everything. I'm wrong and just don't understand.

Give me a toddler any day.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 24-03-2017 at 20:32.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-03-2017),LoveLivesHere  (24-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Yep. I've spent close to $5k this year on schooling alone (state school).

Then there is the "Mum, can I go to the movies this weekend?" Me (gullible) "Yes". Arrive at shopping centre. "Muuuuuum. I need money for the movies, lunch, then we are all going shopping afterwards and I have no clothes to wear to the free dress next week and you have to give me money or I don't know what I will doooooo. I just don't have anything I could possibly wear. Remember how I got in trouble ................ blah blah...............blah blah". Rinse and repeat every weekend with multiple children.

Not to mention Miss 12. Muuuum I neeeeed an Iphone . Why do I only have a second hand phone. Muuuuuuum. You've ruined my life. Rinse and repeat every. single. day.

My 14 year old went through a bad patch when she was 12 and screamed at me most days. All I can say is thank god for my neighbours not phoning the police. There were a few months when I was expecting DOCS to knock on my door. She has gone quiet now, but it is the eye of the storm really. I'm bracing myself for the next wave.

No matter how moody and revolting 8 - 14 year olds are, it is all just a warm up for the main act. The 15/16 year old girl. DD1 was vaguely pleasant until she hit 16 then OMG. Nothing could have prepared me for what she has put me though in the past 12 months.

All of my girls argue continually, fight and slam doors. DD16 could make a sailor blush with the language that comes out of her mouth.

Teens are too big to restrain. Too big to pick up and put to bed. A kiss and a hug won't fix things. They just know things and are right about everything. I'm wrong and just don't understand.

Give me a toddler any day.
    Oh my god... I've started to experience that start of this with 10 year old DSS and I'm not liking where it's heading!!! The iPhone comment got me, he said the same thing to me when he's begged for one and I gave him a second hand iPhone 4. Apparently unless it's a new one it's not good enough. And the iPod and MacBook Pro he has don't make up for it

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    SS

though I couldnt help but laugh. we are only a bit of the way through with DD nearly 11 ... so I am sure you will have plenty of time to laugh back at me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @SSecret Squirrel

I'm exhausted just reading that. I hope your eldest settles down soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Noooooooo! I thought for sure we were through the worst part when DS was 3 I am just starting to enjoy him (most of the time) now that he is 5.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yesterday morning I was being nice and filled out a note to return to school because my child was running late. Cue 30 minutes of crying, stomping away, then coming back and telling me I am always so mean to said child and that they are not handing the note in now because it's wrong (I made a mistake on it and had to cross it out and write next to it)...but I'd still rather that than a tantruming toddler. At least the hormones make them storm off so you get a break. Toddlers follow you everywhere. Plus, I can then have a proper chat after they've calmed down that I know they understand.
    I haven't got to 16 yet, though. I am prepared for that to be the roughest year ever based on what my parent's tell me!