+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Engorgement of milk in armpits

Hi ladies

My milk has come in now on day 3 in full force and I have breast tissue under both of my armpits, one more than the other. The one with the most has a huge golf ball sized lump that i need to massage out.

Just wanting to get some advice on anyone else who has had this and how you cleared it and how long it took.

With massaging it, do i apply cream to it and massage it that way? How often should i do it and will it eventually go away once my milk settles?

Its quite tender and im just really concerned that if i dont clear it, it will turn into mastitis.

I am breastfeeding, and also pumping if that helps.

Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Massage it while feeding or expressing as you're wanting to clear the blockage of the duct. Can only happen if there's somewhere for the milk to go. Otherwise jump in the shower and let the hot water run over your breast and hand express while massaging the lump out. Do it until it's gone.

Day 3 - are you still in hospital? Or do you have a Midwife visit planned?

ETA: once you've fed/expressed, pop an ice pack on your breasts. It will help slow the return of milk to your breasts so you hopefully don't get engorged. If you don't have ice packs, pour a cup of water on some disposable nappies and chuck them in the freezer. You can use those as ice packs as they will basically wrap around your breasts.

Also, the more you feed/express, the more you will stimulate your supply so only do what's necessary at the moment. It's not uncommon to get engorgement when your milk first comes in. Just give it a few days for your breasts to settle and they should be ok.

Dr Jack Newman has some really good videos on YouTube that may be of use too.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 21-03-2017 at 08:11.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (21-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @M'LadyEm as always thank you for your amazing advice. We were discharged yesterday so first proper day at home today. A midwife will be out today or tomorrow i would say.

I will use that ice pack tip - thank you and will checkout those youtube vids. Thank you so so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

No probs. I know people also swear by using something like a electric toothbrush (or anything that vibrates really) held against a stubborn blockage to. The vibration I guess helps loosen it up. Having it tried it I'm not 100% sure of the mechanisms behind it, but given our LCs use an ultrasound technique on women who have been readmitted with mastitis, I can only assume it's a similar principle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had many instances of severe blocked ducts and they often bank up in the outer edges of the breast. The single best way I found to get them out is dangle feeding. So if you can with a tiny newborn lay them down on the bed and hover over the top of them so they are sucking with gravity to hopefully suck it out. Helps if you can contort yourself to massage it pushing it towards the nipple as you're feeding. It would sometimes take me up to 24hrs to get a blockage out so hang in there!
    And congrats on your new baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with massaging and hand expressing while in the shower; I never had any big blockages like you're experiencing but the warm water would always get my milk flowing so it'd release quite easily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also found dangle feeding helped!

I suffered constant blockages for my first few weeks- 2 per week, and would get so stressed out by them. They would usually pass after lots of feeding, heat packs and massage.

The best thing I did was start having 1 tablespoon soy lecithin granules every morning (on cereal or yoghurt) and the blockages have stopped (knock on wood- at 12wks now). Apparently it helps grease the ducts internally?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I had many instances of severe blocked ducts and they often bank up in the outer edges of the breast. The single best way I found to get them out is dangle feeding. So if you can with a tiny newborn lay them down on the bed and hover over the top of them so they are sucking with gravity to hopefully suck it out. Helps if you can contort yourself to massage it pushing it towards the nipple as you're feeding. It would sometimes take me up to 24hrs to get a blockage out so hang in there!
    And congrats on your new baby
    Yes it helps my blockage in the first few weeks…Thanks for the advice