+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ivf and losing weight

Hi, i did my first ivf cycle last month which was unsuccessful. Ive got this month off and then doing 2nd cycle next month. Im trying to lose some weight before starting 2nd cycle. My question is can i still try and lose weight while doing ivf? I know i can do gentle exercises but will losing weight while doing a cycle affect anything? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    The drugs can make it quite difficult to lose weight, especially if you're dealing with any issues like PCOS. Just try to eat as best you can and do some light exercise. If you go too hard at it in terms of diet and/or exercise it can signal to your body that it's not a good time to be pregnant because of external stresses. If you're already quite active it's not so much of an issue, it's the sudden change in activity levels or significantly less calories than normal which are the problem.

Your weight is a factor when deciding your drug dosages too, so too much change can mess with that. I was 5kg lighter when I did my second round of IVF and my FS increased the dosage of gonal f by 50 units from my first cycle where I didn't respond very well. It doesn't seem like much but I went from not a great response to having OHSS just in that small window of medication, and that was partly due to my weight loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I lost 5kg from the time I had my initial appointment to the time I was ready to start my stim cycle. I continued to lose a few more whilst cycling too. I just focused on eating really really healthy and kept up with my usual exercise routine. I don't think "dieting" as such is a good idea but a healthy lifestyle is only going to help- the healthier you are the more likely you'll have success IMO. Just don't make too many lifestyle changes at once, you don't want your body to go into shock. I'd speak to your FS about your plans and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice ladies