+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pressure cookers

Hey ladies. So I need some help. I'm a pressure cooker novice. I bought one off my mum. She never used it so it's brand new. So I'm looking for some yummy (and easy!) recipes.

I really wanted the pressure cooker for risotto.. I made one in the oven for quite awhile and over time it just became average and someone said a pressure cooker makes beautiful risotto..
    so I've tried a chicken risotto recipe in the pressure cooker twice now... both times it's not worked. First time there was too much liquid and some bits of rice weren't cooked properly. Second time the amount of liquid was ok but bits of rice weren't cooked again. I'm starting to think I've wasted my money on the pressure cooker because.. well.. I suck at it lol

Any tips and recipes would be amazing please ladies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use one but I don't use it for risotto- I stir my risotto regularly so to do that I'd have release/build pressure over and over again - but maybe I'm missing something???

I use mine for spag Bol, stews, soups.. Stuff like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you sautéeing the rice in butter and wine first till its opaque? Then I add stock, stir and set pressure cooker for 11 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I use one but I don't use it for risotto- I stir my risotto regularly so to do that I'd have release/build pressure over and over again - but maybe I'm missing something???

I use mine for spag Bol, stews, soups.. Stuff like that.
    I was told it works really well for a risotto.. dunno why I can't get it right

Is there any particular recipe you would use or just chuck it in and go from there? I'm thinking soup would be amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Are you sautéeing the rice in butter and wine first till its opaque? Then I add stock, stir and set pressure cooker for 11 minutes.
    Maybe I'm not doing it long enough? Recipes I looked at said do it for a minute or two so that's what I was trying? Would longer be better? I ended up having the pressure cooker go for 15 minutes and it still didn't cook, most of it was cooked but there were a few bits and it just wasn't nice when I tried it. The few crunchy bits were too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    I was told it works really well for a risotto.. dunno why I can't get it right

Is there any particular recipe you would use or just chuck it in and go from there? I'm thinking soup would be amazing.
    I'll have to suss that out, anything for a short cut as I work 4 days a week

I use my mums recipe, which is a sort of chicken vegetable soup

I use thigh fillets & if I can get it I also add some beef (soup bones or osso buco).
    I add stock (what ever your preferred brand is), then add carrots, parsnip, celery, half a swede, and then maybe some broccoli.

I let that cook, then strain it and add home made noodles.

I then add pieces of carrot & parsnip back in, and some of the thigh fillets as well.

I use the low pressure setting for it and cook for as long as I have time - so if it's 20 min, then20, or if I've got longer, then longer.

It's yum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Pressure cookers

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Maybe I'm not doing it long enough? Recipes I looked at said do it for a minute or two so that's what I was trying? Would longer be better? I ended up having the pressure cooker go for 15 minutes and it still didn't cook, most of it was cooked but there were a few bits and it just wasn't nice when I tried it. The few crunchy bits were too much.
    Is it an electric or stove top pressure cooker?

My risotto cooks perfectly at 11 minutes at full pressure but depending on the amount in there it can take like 10 minutes to reach pressure before counting down.

Also I cook until with the rice you can see a white dot in the middle - maybe 5 minutes.

Are you using aborio rice? Some brands are better than others.

Also typically pressure cookers require LESS liquid than normal or slow cook recipes due to the steam build up creating extra moisture. It is much easier to add stock at the end if too dry than to reduce liquid.

I love making "chicken batches" to use in burritos and enchiladas. Frozen breast or fillet, tin toms, garlic, taco mix. Pressure cook 25 minutes- shred and put back in the liquid.

Bolognese is great too.

I can't figure out curries I find it always separates.

Any kind of stew is fantastic.

I usually google pressure cooker recipes.

It certainly is trial and error but I couldn't live without it.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 21-03-2017 at 16:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Is it an electric or stove top pressure cooker?

My risotto cooks perfectly at 11 minutes at full pressure but depending on the amount in there it can take like 10 minutes to reach pressure before counting down.

Also typically pressure cookers require LESS liquid than normal or slow cook recipes due to the steam build up creating extra moisture. It is much easier to add stock at the end if too dry than to reduce liquid.

I love making "chicken batches" to use in burritos and enchiladas. Frozen breast or fillet, tin toms, garlic, taco mix. Pressure cook 25 minutes- shred and put back in the liquid.

Bolognese is great too.

I can't figure out curries I find it always separates.

Any kind of stew is fantastic.

I usually google pressure cooker recipes.

It certainly is trial and error but I couldn't live without it.
    My curry spices always stick to the bottom& yes, the coconut milk separates for me too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the way my multi cooker does risotto. Mine is electric with a brown function. First I fry chopped onion in 1tbs butter and 1 tbs olive oil. Then add 300g aborio rice and stir on the brown setting until it goes clear, then starts to go white again. I cancel the heat, add 800ml stock and stir in chopped hard veg like pumpkin or sweet potatoes. I then lock the lid and seal, setting to high pressure for 7 minutes. It takes about 5-10 min to get to pressure, so 12-17min total cooking. Then quick release the pressure, open, gently stir in soft veg (asparagus, capsicum, peas etc) and pre-cooked meat (if using) and leave with the lid shut for about another 5 minutes. I then stir in grated parmesan just before serving, being careful not to over stir.

I make everything I used to do in my slow cooker but just drop the liquid slightly. Mine can be a bit fussy on high pressure so I often just use it on low and it seems to make little difference. Soups are amazing! 25 minutes and they taste like they've been simmering on the stove all afternoon! Also do casseroles (40 min seems to equal 2hrs oven/8hrs slow cooker recipes), pulled pork, shanks, bolognese, corned beef.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't get my risotto to work. Burnt the bottom of it whilst waiting for pressure (which never came??). Had to transfer into my standard risotto pan..

Why can't I get pressure?? Anyone know?