+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Driving after phobia - little driving experience & dealing with toddler yelli...

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That history is the reason people are replying as they are. Some people don't need meds, they can manage their anxiety and/or depression with counselling/exercise/yoga. Others do need it. The OP has been starting these sort of threads for around 3 years on and off, nothing has changed despite a million different suggestions and angles. If a member on here started umpteen threads saying how sick she was from not taking meds despite being type 1 diabetic, would you tell her to go to the dr and get insulin? How is physical health different to mental health? Furthermore, if YOU were T1 & correctly medicated with insulin, would you tell her to go get meds?
    Ok so she's been told by a professional that she needs meds but doesn't want to take them? Is that why people are frustrated with her?

ETA: if I was a diabetic and recognised the symptoms of the condition in someone else I would suggest they see a doctor to be tested for diabetes. I'm not a doctor so I wouldn't tell someone they need medication for anything without consulting a professional in that field
    Last edited by Freyamum; 22-03-2017 at 15:14.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

TreeGirl  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Ok so she's been told by a professional that she needs meds but doesn't want to take them? Is that why people are frustrated with her?

ETA: if I was a diabetic and recognised the symptoms of the condition in someone else I would suggest they see a doctor to be tested for diabetes. I'm not a doctor so I wouldn't tell someone they need medication for anything without consulting a professional in that field
    The OP has previously tried meds but didn't like the symptoms so stopped after very short periods.

Years of anxiety and many many posts about how this is effecting her ability to parent has led many people to encourage her to find a new psychiatrist and discuss trying some new medication. Most of use are just talking about how much medication has helped us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Driving after phobia - little driving experience & dealing with toddler yelli...

Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post

OP is back under a different name (which I won't post) but if you knew her history of posts you would realize that (if she's being honest) she is dealing with severe anxiety that has been going on since she was pregnant (probably before. Her child is now almost 3). People are telling her to go see a dr. She shoots down any advice regarding how to manage her anxiety in other ways and doesn't like the side effects of the anti depressants she has tried. People are telling her to get a referral to a psychiatrist (a dr that deals with mental health and the specific medications for it) to explore and learn about all of her options (in terms of therapy AND medications as there are multiple combos and it is about trial and error). If she is telling the truth then her anxiety is ruling her and her child's life and she needs to get it sorted. It's sad to read so many negative posts regarding a child and to have their mother continually shoot down any advice regarding changing her outlook for the better.

ETA: if you recognized the conditions in somebody else you would tell them to see a dr because you suspected they needed medication right?

Let's be clear that people suggest other forms of therapy and it all gets shot down.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 22-03-2017 at 19:27.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the comments.

Some of them i felt were pretty harsh.

I'm willing to give meds a try, but I'm unsure of how I'm supposed to look after my son while dealing with the side effects when finding the right one?

My husband is gone 11 1/2-12 hours a day five days a week. I work 3 days a week (& I need to keep my job). The other two days a week I'm on my own in terms of support as all family & friends work full-time.

Last meds i took i literally couldn't force myself to stay awake past 6pm. My son's bedtime is at 7. So who looks after my son for that hour? Gives him dinner & a bath etc? Hubby isn't home until at least 7 most days.

Plus I was literally falling asleep at my desk all day at work.

It also wasn't safe for me to drive while on those meds cause I could barely stay awake.

So i don't know how to find meds that work but still be able to care for my son.

I guess I'm outta here again, for the same reason as last time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I really hope you get yourself sorted op.
    You deserve to be happy. Every day does not need to be a battle.
    And it may seem harsh but it's not just about you any more. You need to think of your son and the impact it has on him.
    I hope to hear from you again. And that things are improving xx

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (22-03-2017),Mum-I-Am  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @allatsea I'd be sorry to see you go. I agree some of the comments you've received have been a bit harsh but I believe they were all made with the best intentions. We all genuinely think you deserve to be happy and to enjoy your little boy. For that to happen you have to be a priority too.
    To answer the question you've just posed, my suggestion would be that, if you start meds, you and your dh both take a week's sick leave. That way you can leave looking after ds to him and you can just let your body adjust. If the side effects haven't started to settle in that time then you both extend your leave. I wish I was closer and could offer more practical help but all I can do is offer encouragement. You deserve to be happy @allatsea.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (22-03-2017),JustJaq  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't leave just because you don't like the responses. Sometimes sugar coating it doesn't work and people have been gently suggesting you seek help for a long time. If a bit of tough love gets you there, then it's worth it. Believe it or not, people are trying to help you, your son and your family. And have been for a long time. We are not out to get you.

I assume that not all meds will make you tired/fall asleep. You got one that didn't work, that doesn't mean you give up, try something else. I know it's hard with work, but maybe your DH needs to take leave while you adjust to some meds. Or can a family member come and stay? Short term pain for long term gain and all that.

Do you really want to still be living like this in 5 years time? Or do you want to be able to look back and say I'm glad I went on meds, my life is so much better now? There may never be a good or perfect time to go through the med adjustment period, but I really think it important you make the time to do it. Don't let your anxiety rule your life. That's no way for you or your boy to live.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-03-2017),gingermillie  (22-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (23-03-2017),JustJaq  (22-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-03-2017),Mum-I-Am  (22-03-2017),SuperGranny  (23-03-2017),TheGooch  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm willing to give meds a try, but I'm unsure of how I'm supposed to look after my son while dealing with the side effects when finding the right one?

My husband is gone 11 1/2-12 hours a day five days a week. I work 3 days a week (& I need to keep my job). The other two days a week I'm on my own in terms of support as all family & friends work full-time.

Last meds i took i literally couldn't force myself to stay awake past 6pm. My son's bedtime is at 7. So who looks after my son for that hour? Gives him dinner & a bath etc? Hubby isn't home until at least 7 most days.

It also wasn't safe for me to drive while on those meds cause I could barely stay awake.

So i don't know how to find meds that work but still be able to care for my son.

Then do it on a weekend. Also taking them at night can help.

I really do not know what else anyone else can suggest or say.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (23-03-2017),Mum-I-Am  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

How many have you tried? Did you give this feedback to your doctor? Sometimes a small change such as the time of day you take them or starting on a lower dose and increasing can make all the difference. If not, then they can try something else.

I have been on SSRI meds twice in the past. Once when I was depressed as an 18/19 year old and in combo with therapy I came off them after 18 months. The second one I tried was the one that worked for me. I was on them again for a few months when diagnosed with a chronic illness and I was finding it hard to take it all on board. That one was milder and I had no side effects. DH has also been on Zoloft for a period when dealing with extreme stress and they helped enormously.

They say it can take 1-3 weeks for the side effects to subside for most SSRIs (incase these were what you were given, there are other non SSRI meds too). You just have to stick it out and see how you are going. Can your DH work from home/take time off/get home earlier while you are adjusting to medication?

You must go and see a good, supportive GP that deals with mental health. Not all GPs are strong in this area but you are in a major city, you will be able to find one.

I wish you good luck and I hope that things improve for you, like I have said many times in your threads before. It's not easy but you CAN do it. It's time.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (23-03-2017),Mum-I-Am  (22-03-2017),SuperGranny  (23-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also you can start on small amounts of meds.

I have 10mg lexapro. I cut it in half for the first week or two. Side effects are not as bad.

I am usually fine enough to function by the 2nd day.

There is a long weekend in 3 weeks time. Take advantage of it.