+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Thanks! What kind of snacks would you recommend? Dinner is relatively soon after we get home so i don't want to fill him up too much. Also it would need to be something i can store at work all day.
    My dd eats a large nutritious lunch at childcare so I don't stress if she fills up on semi-healthy snacks on the way home those days. I use the little containers where they can shove their hand in the top and grab things out without them spilling. I tend to have one with rice crackers, and one with strawberries or halved grapes. Other things that work are muesli bars or fruit bars. Sometimes I even stop at the bakery near work and pick up a dinner roll or a cheesymite scroll for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    YouTube. That is my go to when I want some peace in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the ideas!

I'll see if I can find another way to mount a phone or tablet - I'm concerned about giving him one to hold because I'm just a little wary of giving him hard things in the car ever since he had a tantrum about something & threw his full drink bottle at DH while he was driving on the highway. Thankfully DH has a lot driving experience & didn't crash. So I'm a bit careful about what i give him now - nothing is ideal if it's thrown at the driver, but at least soft toys etc won't hurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're doing well to have come so far with a driving phobia!

I still get anxious driving in heavy traffic. And too much noise also makes me anxious. So heavy traffic, and a screaming toddler would be awful!

Your DS probably wouldn't throw a tablet - he loses entertainment, and you limit screen time so it would be a novelty for him. Maybe test this while you DH is driving though!

Snacks also a great suggestion, and I do the same as @BettyV and keep them on the front seat. DS's favourite is rice crackers. Or I'll give him tiny teddies if I really want quiet.

Otherwise we sing songs together (those that require little to no concentration), or I try to get him to see things that I can see out the windows. DS loves trucks/buses/trains/diggers/rollers/etc so if I can point those out, he's quite happy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you mount it on the back of the front headrest and slide the seat forward a bit so he cant kick it?
    I also have anxiety driving. Im fine in my town and if another adult isnt in the car but i cant drive in brisbane so your doing a great job!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Driving after phobia - little driving experience & dealing with toddler yelli...

It's not about making him be quiet. It's about you learning to tune it out and not bother you. Practice mindfulness.

Put a cd on in the car he likes, a story on tape or get a holder for the back of the seat for the iPad and put on a show for him.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (20-03-2017),delirium  (21-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-03-2017),TheGooch  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Thanks for the ideas!

I'll see if I can find another way to mount a phone or tablet - I'm concerned about giving him one to hold because I'm just a little wary of giving him hard things in the car ever since he had a tantrum about something & threw his full drink bottle at DH while he was driving on the highway. Thankfully DH has a lot driving experience & didn't crash. So I'm a bit careful about what i give him now - nothing is ideal if it's thrown at the driver, but at least soft toys etc won't hurt
    You can get holders for the back of the headrest to mount the iPad on and pull the seat forward enough so he can't kick it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have one like the middle, a friend has one like the bottom. The top one looks good as well.

IMG_1490009376.808134.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Re: the tablet, I would definitely mount it rather than having him hold it. Ds1 gets carsick if he holds my phone or the iPad since he's looking down. Mounting means he keeps his head looking straight ahead and doesn't get sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thought....

What about a 'back seat driver' set that you can hook over the seat in front or onto his own seat, so that he can pretend he's driving the car.

Would he enjoy that sort of a toy?