ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travelling Overseas with Young Baby

Still a long way off (I'm not even due until 1 October), but we need to make a decision soon about whether hubby goes overseas (Europe) to visit family on his own this year, or if we wait until baby is born and go as a family while I am on maternity leave, or both, so would like to be able to put at least a vague plan into place.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best age to fly/travel with a young baby?

How important do you think it is to take into consideration other things, like the weather? ie. if we go during summer here, it will be the dead of winter over there (and it can get to about -20 where DH's family is from). Would you avoid travelling at that time, or just buy baby some winter clothes and get on with it?

We are first timers so totally clueless.
    Last edited by ivyninja; 20-03-2017 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travelling Overseas with Young Baby

If it where me I'd all go as a family. My sister in OS and travelled with her dd when only a couple months old. But she came from freezing snow to our summer here. It also would depend on how old bub will be in regards to vaccinations as you would need to consider those. You can book a flight for an unborn child you add them asap after the birth then pay the relevant tax etc and get their passport done asap. The passport application can be done online but for the photos Australia post does not do babies anymore as I found out but they should be able to direct you to someone who does. If you need to get it done fast you can also pay an extra fee and you'll get it in a few days.

If you do decide to go get winter clothing this season for when bubs will be born ie bub will prob be 000 or 00 depending how big they are but your family os may even have some things for you to use.

If you dh goes alone you'll want a good support network here while he is away. As you just don't know what your birth will be like and what your bub will be like

There is hubber I'm pretty sure who has just done this going overseas but I can't remember who it was. I think @witherwings maybe ?

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah would depend on quite a few things for me

what country are you talking about?

- how are the family? are they helpful or not so much?
    - do you want the family to meet bubba? is that something that is important to you?
    - can you put off the trip until bubs is 6 months or so? easier to arrange travel once bubba is born, and also by that time you have a bit more confidence and idea about sleep/routine/care etc
    - what is the living situation where you are going? if its very cold, if its central heating etc then no issues ... are you staying in hotels or with family?

lots of things to consider

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it would depend on exactly where and how old bub would be.
    Alot of my friends that have gone os with a 6mth old have said never again they would do it before 6 months
    Me personally I would want to go as a family but wait until bub has had their first lot of vax

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

DH's family is in Poland, and we would be primarily staying with MIL. Her flat is tiny (although we would have our own room), but she is absolutely lovely and I'm sure will bend over backwards to be helpful/accommodating. Ideally we would like to do a little extra travel while we are over there but that is non-essential and we could work that out later depending on how we are dealing with everything else.

The main reason for going as a family would definitely be for the in laws to meet the baby, especially MIL. I had considered flying her out to Australia instead, but she speaks very little English so it would still be a very complicated operation (and we are currently in a 1bdr apartment and still not sure if we are going to move to a 2bdr before or after baby arrives).

I'm planning to take at least 8 months mat leave after bub is born so from purely a planning sense, travel any time in that period would theoretically be ok. I may stretch it out to 12 months but undecided yet.

And yes, we certainly wouldn't travel until first lot of vaccinations.

I saw someone comment somewhere else that travel at 3/4 months is ideal as they are much more easy going and will sleep anywhere etc - but from the comments above it sounds like this may not necessarily be true. I do understand that all babies are different and it will be impossible to predict everything in advance, but we have a few other plans to work around this one so want to be as informed as possible.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My family is Polish and we have been a few times.

Do not go in winter. Its too difficult to travel with a baby if you are not used to it.

We took DS when he was 18 months. To be honest it's probably easier when they are small and portable. Also if BF thrn you do not need to think of food.

Where in Poland will you be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summer, if only so that you don't need to pack as much clothing!

Having gone to Europe last year for summer with 3 kids & 2 full suitcases, a pram & portacot, I'd not want to try and do that with winter jackets & shoes etc till I don't need the additional baby stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Travelling with a 3/4 month old baby sounds lovely compared to travelling with a mobile child of any age 😂
    I have travelled with when my kids were really little and the only time i didnt like is between 15mths and 2.5yrs but all kids are different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    Travelling with a 3/4 month old baby sounds lovely compared to travelling with a mobile child of any age
    I have travelled with when my kids were really little and the only time i didnt like is between 15mths and 2.5yrs but all kids are different
    I agree 3/4 mths is easy, compared to when they've just started being mobile and getting into everything!

However, I would not recommend winter with a baby, it is layers upon layers upon layers of clothing you need to pack, then put on every time you go somewhere then take off every time you walk in somewhere, it is a pain, and a European winter is freezing.....literally, like painfully cold so you won't be able to get out and about much, so I'd hold off for the coldest part of the year to pass.
    But traveling with a baby is generally easier then a toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I took my 4 month old overseas earlier this year for a holiday. He had had two lots of vaccinations and I found it such an easy age for travelling as he was only on breastmilk and I didn't need to consider things like meals. We did a night flight which was great for the kids who slept for the majority of it. If you're staying with family washing should be easy enough so you shouldn't need to pack too much. We stayed in hotels so had cots provided and took our pram which made things easy. I found my little one adjusted to the change in weather and humidity better than the rest of us!