+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Are swimming lessons for toddlers a waste of money?

We have just enrolled our 6 year old and 2 yr old (shes 3 in May)girls in swimming lessons.

5 lessons in and our 6 yr old has jumped up two levels and is doing really well. For our toddler its just play time and ive read that they just dont really have the skills to learn to swim formally till at least 4. I understand its good to get them used to the water and build confidence but are lessons really required to do this?

Just after experiences as to whether its really necessary for our toddler at this stage? Our 6 yr old only had 6 months of lessons at 2 and shes swimming brilliantly already, its not cheap and we dont own a pool at home or anything like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has been attending lessons since she was 4 months, she's now 9 months.
    I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary no, but I do believe it's much more than fun.
    The activities she does get kids familiarised with water, holding breath under water, teaches them to aim for the pool edge after submerging plus more, laying in their backs in water.
    It's all done in a fun way, but it is teaching them what to do if they were to fall into water.
    So it's more about water safety at first, and actual swimming grows on from that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with @Calstar DD is almost 3 and has been doing lessons since 3 months. At this stage it's a lot about safety eg: turn themselves around and grab wall if they fall in.
    Not essential, but I enjoy that she can swim with a flotation ring independently and I can be at arms reach, not holding her all the time.
    My nephew fell in a water feature at a pub & by the time a parent got to him (arms reach) he had turned himself over and grabbed the edge, it was his third birthday. So I do believe the lessons are beneficial from a safety perspective.
    I guess if you have the time, money and inclination it's a nice thing to do, but it's not going to harm your child to leave it a bit later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is just for fun until the age of 4/5. So if you have the free time and money go ahead and have fun in the pool with them but it's not really about learning to swim until later on. I don't enrol my kids until about age 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No i don't think it is. It teaches them about water safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD went from 4 months but I didn't really find her lessons to be just play time. It was quite structured, and certainly play based learning, but not just mucking around. There were great skills she learnt in the lessons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends on where you go.

My DD is learning at the moment and they are focusing on teaching them how to get out of a pool if they fall in. It's amazing to watch.
    She already knows to turn around and slide into pool feet first while holding on.
    She's almost 13 months.

My step-kids spent the first 6 years playing in the water and still aren't great at it now (11 and 9).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 can swim. I think a lot has to do with hopping in the pool everyday at home. She can dog paddle across the pool and can tread water. She's most comfortable under the water swimming like a fish. She has a crack at freestyle but can't breath while doing it.

I've seen 5yos hysterical in the toddlers lessons because they aren't used to water.

I think swimming lessons for babies are a waste of time to be honest. But at 2 they need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Under 1 I dont think it is a big necessity but from then it is good to start making them aware of water, by around 2/3 kids can get alot out of swimming. 3 they often go in by themselves and learn how to get back to the edge and safety more so than actual technique like a 5/6 yo would

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS was scared. So we got nowhere with lessons as a toddler. At (just turned) 4 we will put him in some classes so he can have some swimming experience before he starts school.

He has always hated water on face/eyes but the last 2 weeks or so it does not bother him as much as well.