+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Under our award we either pay overtime or time in lieu and the staff can elect which they prefer. Although TOIL has to be taken within a certain timeframe or is automatically paid out.
    However all O/T or TOIL has to be approved and is due to exceptional circumstances such as getting back late from training or participating in a fundraising activity out of hours.
    We don't promote or encourage either to maintain work/life balance.
    I don't think work without pay or time off is reasonable, unless you're in a position at a high enough level for it to be considered part of the job - executive or CEO level at our place. But even then if you work an extra day, rather than just an hour to finish off something, then TOIL is available.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I need to go overseas for a week and will get paid for 3 out of the 7 days I'll be away (working 12 hour days). So working 84 hrs (which the company will be paid for by our client) and I will get paid for 22 hrs. Feeling jaded! It's like things are going backwards. I'm in the same industry as your DH.

Agh maybe I just needed a whinge and my DF is sick of hearing me whinge about work so thanks for listening ladies.
    That's outrageous! I'd be seriously p!ssed off about that too. Are you a union member? If so, I'd contact them and see if there's anything you can do.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Californication  (21-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well as a teacher I do lots of unpaid work.

I think it's outrageous a huge company like Coles Wesfarmers to ask their lowest paid workers to chip in for a free pizza.

My husband works ridiculous hours but he gets paid hourly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My work used to pay overtime but got jack of it so averaged out the hours and included them as a seperate component of our wage. But we only do about 10% of those extra hours so we come out way ahead. Some people are just always "busy" when asked to come in and cover shifts.

So I'm in the rare group of yes I get paid for the hours I work, and I get paid for hours I don't work. It was set up long before I got there and I normally try to say yes when they need help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My work regularly did (maybe still does - unsure as I have been on ML and lots has changed) unpaid overtime.

I was always in 'trouble' for not working enough overtime.

My contract stated 'reasonable overtime' is required.

I was happy to do 15-30 mins extra over a week (I work 3 days) and regularly did but they expected us to work 12 hour days when normal hours were 7.5.

I think it is so wrong.
    One place i worked at i would do a minimum 10 hours a week overtime (unpaid) and they still complained i didnt work hard enough!
    Hence why I will never work for a large company ever again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a teacher so I work tonnes of extra time above my work hours. I don't even know if I have set work hours, I just have to do what has to be done to teach good classes lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is salary retail management. He's expected to be at work by 7am and not leave before 5pm without ringing his manager above him. However he regularly works 12+hr days with no extra pay to achieve results and goes in on his days off.
    He is successful in his job. Its certain that if he stuck to his contracted hours of 7-5pm he would not have been so successful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's fair no. I mean flip it around and if a worker asked for more money but didn't want to work the hours, their boss would laugh at them!

I'm lucky. I've pretty much always been paid OT or gotten TOIL. The one job I didn't, was at Coles. I was asked a few times to clock out and stay an extra hour. After the first few times, I said no. Fair is fair. I was happy to work extra, but I wasn't going to regularly do it for free!!!

Right now a lot of my time is unpaid though. But it's our own business, so while I'm only getting paid for maybe 1/4 of the hours I'm doing, it has long term benefits for us, so there will be a payoff further down the line. And once we have more cashflow, my paid work hours will increase. Plus I do the majority from home and only go to the office 1-2 days a week. That will also increase, but probably not for 12 months.