+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Unpaid extra hours

I was reading a newspaper article about a supermarket manager that asked their staff to work unpaid for four hours to move some stock.

Most of the comments were basically stating that this was an outrage.

Do you get paid for all the hours that you work?

I'm on salary so don't get paid extra if I work more than my set hours. I don't care if it's an extra hour here or there but sometimes it's a whole day and I don't get paid yet still have to pay for child care, petrol, train fares etc. It costs me about $130 per day to go to work.

How many extra hours per week unpaid would people consider 'reasonable' for a salaried person?

I understand the supermarket example is different as that industry is usually wages not salary.

Ta!
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 20-03-2017 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm on salary but we use time in lieu which is great. In saying that I don't record all the hours I do because I do it so regularly they would start to ask me to put my PT hours up.

Also if we are responding to an emergency we get set overtime paid. Thank goodness really because the last time I deployed half my days were 16 hours and my shortest was 11.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm on salary but we use time in lieu which is great. In saying that I don't record all the hours I do because I do it so regularly they would start to ask me to put my PT hours up.

Also if we are responding to an emergency we get set overtime paid. Thank goodness really because the last time I deployed half my days were 16 hours and my shortest was 11.
    That sounds so nice!!!

We don't get TIL either. And we don't get paid extra for going interstate / overseas. Or even get paid at all if the days we are away happen to be outside our normal working days. I wonder if this is legal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The supermarket scenario was appalling, but all too common. Those people are usually employed as casuals and will accept poor treatment out of fear of losing shifts.

I don't think I've known anyone that benefited from being on a salary, compared to hourly wages. The pay increase for being on a salary was minimal anyway, but ended up being less than an hourly wage once you took in to account the overtime, plus it usually comes with a greater responsibility.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I would find it unreasonable to be asked to work any extra hours without TIL or compensation.

Sure, you have a salary, but do you have set hours? 'Cause asking you to work extra time without pay is - in my view - equivalent to you asking for extra money without work.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-03-2017),babyno1onboard  (20-03-2017),SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2017),Wise Enough  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My work regularly did (maybe still does - unsure as I have been on ML and lots has changed) unpaid overtime.

I was always in 'trouble' for not working enough overtime.

My contract stated 'reasonable overtime' is required.

I was happy to do 15-30 mins extra over a week (I work 3 days) and regularly did but they expected us to work 12 hour days when normal hours were 7.5.

I think it is so wrong.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My work regularly did (maybe still does - unsure as I have been on ML and lots has changed) unpaid overtime.

I was always in 'trouble' for not working enough overtime.

My contract stated 'reasonable overtime' is required.

I was happy to do 15-30 mins extra over a week (I work 3 days) and regularly did but they expected us to work 12 hour days when normal hours were 7.5.

I think it is so wrong.
    Do we work at the same company lol?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm on salary. We are expected to work reasonable overtime. This is generally understood to be on average 10% extra a week. So some weeks you might not work any and the next week the equivalent of an extra day.

I am very well paid for what I do, so I'm not too concerned about the extra hours I do - usually at home at night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be concerned with an hour here or there in rare occasions but being out of pocket and taking on extra hours, I personally wouldn't do it. My last job we accrued time for ADO's now my current job we get paid overtime or can bank the time up to have days off instead.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on wage and have set hours and if we go over which we rarely do we are paid over time. Saying that PPT/FT never do overtime for the company I work for as it's more paperwork etc it's generally over the casual component that will do more hours.

Management are salaried and they have set hours for weekdays, working during the day at night and in weekends but they are compensated with extra days off. Come Xmas time when retail is ramped up enormously management build up their TIL and can get a week off extra with pay

I haven't read the article but it is all to common nowadays with the owner saying they can't afford to pay the wages. There was a case a few months back in Brisbane I think it was where the employer being a 7 eleven was paying his staff but asking for a portion back ? Correct me if I'm wrong about that

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post: