+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time wanna be Mum seeking advice

By the time I hit 30 and still single, I'd reconciled myself to never becoming a Mum. Now I'm nearly 37, and got married last year. We are planning on ttc later this year but I have a few concerns:

- Becoming a first time mum at my age
    - Financial impact of taking time off work (and still being able to pay the mortgage)
    - Potential health complications (I have endometriosis, Hashimoto's and iron deficiency)

I have a great dr so am confident she will address the health stuff. But any notes from experience with those issues, or input or advice on the other factors would be wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 37 now with a 6yr old and a 3 yr old and would definitely still try for another baby regardless of my age if i felt the urge to. There's no guarantees at any age.

Financial implications - you'll always manage. It's amazing how on paper it looks really bad but when you are living on a budget day to day it is not as bad as what you thought it would be. Plus the love you feel for your kids is absolutely priceless, worth way more then anything materialistic so take the opportunity while you have the chance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

The2Peas  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my 20's I would have been that person saying WOW 37, that's a bit old but now that I've had children and about to start TTCing again at 35, I've seen that there really is no limit!
    Like Candiceo stated, financially, you make it work. You have paid parental leave and maternity leave, if you're entitled to it, can also put your mortgage on interest only if you find yourself struggling during the time you are off. Other things that I found good was stocking up on baby supplies prior to birth so nappies, wipes etc or a few other hubbers have stated they purchase the gift cards for coles or woolies when you do groceries prior to the birth. This way, when you are on leave you can use the gift cards for nappies, formula/dummies, wipes -any baby supplies really.
    Medically- as long as you have a great Dr I'm sure you will be in the best hands to help you through your pregnancy. All the best with it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

The2Peas  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First time I was 30 second time round I was 39 after years of struggle with ivf etc.

Financially as others have said you will always make it work. If your entitled to ppl you will get that. You could also start now with living off only your dh income and save your to see how you go aswell.

Stock up on all things baby but don't go to overboard as you'll get sooo much if you have a baby shower.

As for your endo I'd be nipping that in the bud now and getting into your gyno to get it cut out with a laporoscopy and a d&c asap as this will make your ttc journey better knowing that you have already sorted that out. Then I would start your journey sooner rather then later. That's my opinion on that having been there done that to and having another laporoscopy next month to start ttc again in a couple months as it will boost your fertility levels.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

The2Peas  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some great tips, thanks so much. I've been working myself into a bit of a state over it all which I know won't help at all with ttc!

I also caught up with a friend this week who is my age and has a 9mth old. She said she's enjoying his babyhood more than she did with her first babies. Maturity has its benefits

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The2Peas For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (22-03-2017)