+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I'm so worried and scared how can I get past this?

I've posted here way to much lately and I'm usually a really strong person and things don't get to me easily but ivf I sending me crazy.

Im 31 all my blood results/ fsh levels etc are excellent, they said with my egg reserve being over 27 they expect to get alot of eggs at retrieval. I have no known issues, My husband has zero sperm so we used a donor but decided to still do so ivf not iui. I did not get many eggs, 17 follies only 6 retirieved and only 4 fertilised. Why did I get so few eggs? I was only on 187.5 menopur was I not given enough medication? I has my ER Wednesday and they only do 5 day transfer and I'm terrified with only 4 eggs none will survive. I'm so worried and stressed all the time, how did you ladies deal with this? I'm not dealing with it well at all. 5 years of trying its all getting too much. I only just recently moved to Australia don't have any friends here so I don't have many people to talk to. I'm dreading Monday just be told that none made it.

Sorry for the long rant!!
    Last edited by Mumma2be13; 18-03-2017 at 15:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First cycle is always a learning experience, and often a bit of a 'trial run', unfortunately. Try not to overthink it - hard, i know. Nothing you can do to change it now.

IF you need another cycle, your FS will have learned things from this cycle, and talk to you about it, and what if anything to do differently.

For your anxiety, it sounds like some more sessions with the clinic counsellor would be helpful. At my clinic at least, there was one session offered free with each cycle.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember my first cycle. Only one egg retrieved, it failed to fertilise, and I was left stunned that it was all over so quickly.

But you know what? I moved on. I did 3 more cycles with my own eggs, then when they didn't work I did one cycle with an egg donor and fell pregnant on the first transfer.

There is more than one way to skin a cat in IVF-land!

As for your cycle, I really wouldn't stress yet hon. Quite often it's a matter of a few good quality eggs as opposed to a whole bunch that are poor quality that come to nothing.

It could well be that you end up getting one transferred in and have a couple to freeze. You just never know!

Hang in there! Sometimes life has a funny way of surprising us, and even if this round doesn't work (and I hope to hell it DOES!) there is always the next round. Or different protocols. Or altered doses. So many possibilities!

I think we would all like to think the first round will be The One - but if it isn't - there are still ways forward x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you probably don't want to hear this but your result is average. Not great, but not bad. You need to not compare to others. 6 is a great number. 4 fertilising is a great number.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please don't fixate on numbers. When it comes down to it, you only need 1 good embryo to make a baby.

My last IVF cycle went like this..

21 eggs collected
    20 eggs mature
    14 eggs fertilised
    1 embryo transferred
    0 embryos suitable to freeze.

Currently 30+5 with that 1 good embryo. The more eggs collected means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It really only does take just the one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said, try your best not to focus on the numbers. You only need that one golden embryo. Growing out to day 5 is probably more likely to give you better chance of success.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but my FS told me to prepare for 3 full IVF cycles and if we get it before then, it's a bonus. So even though this cycle may not have gone the way you hoped, that's the roller coaster of IVF and you have time on your side.

One (or more!) of those embryo's could very well be your baby. You just have to take it all one day at a time. IVF is tough and you have to look after yourself the best you can.

For what it's worth, I did my first cycle when I had just turned 31 for male factor. Made 6 top grade blastocysts. The first 3 transfers were all early miscarriages, then by some miracle I had a natural conception after literally years and years of nothing. My second son was my 5th embryo transfer, the only one to stick. So you just never know how it will turn out but at your age, you've many options and things to try should this cycle not be the one. Hang in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first IVF cycle almost got cancelled because I only had 4 follicles which looked ready for collection. They ended up getting 8 eggs, but only 3 were mature enough for ICSI. 2 of those ended up fertilising, but the best was only 6 cells big at 3 day transfer. The other didn't progress past day 3. Overall a pretty disappointing cycle, but that little embryo that made it is currently playing her drum kit - loudly!

As previous posters have said the first cycle is seen as a trial run, it's extremely hard to predict how individuals will react to the drugs. I haven't been on menopur but 50 units of gonal f was the difference between under stimulation and over stimulation for me. It's a really fine line!

One of the reasons holding me back from going back to try for a sibling for DD was the fear of failure, I was very concerned how I would cope with failure. You don't know how resilient you are until it happens. Our first try for a sibling resulted in OHSS and a freeze all. We got 2 embryos out of that and were absolutely devastated when both of them failed to thaw. We had thought we'd only give it a go for one cycle, but not having the chance to transfer the instant reaction was to try again asap! It's taken 5 cycles in total to get pregnant again.

One of the best pieces of ivf advice I've had is that you keep going until it is harder to continue than what it would be to stop. Obviously finances play a huge part, but emotionally ivf has a way of making you a pretty tough cookie! Just try to keep your eyes on the end goal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 embryos for your first try is fantastic! My first cycle was cancelled because they missed my ovulation. The following 2 cycles I only got 2 eggs each time with only 1 fertilised each time. After that was another cancel. Number 5 was the lucky one that gave me DD. So it can take a while but is so very worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mermaid13 - Any news yet?

I was really upset and stressed for my first IVF cycle. With my age, they expected to see a lot more follicles and collect a lot more eggs. My doctor had such high expectations for me, so it was really frustrating and upsetting. I guess the media portrays IVF in such a different light - I always thought almost everyone could get pregnant easily with IVF. The 2nd IVF was a lot better, because I went in there with low expectations and knew what to expect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Yeah I went in today and had one transferred and one is frozen. They're going to see how the other 2 are doing tomorrow as of today they're not suitable but will call tomorrow. I'm just blown away and so grateful that we even had 1 to freeze!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mumma2be13 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (21-03-2017),Wise Enough  (21-03-2017)