+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put them in the bin. Always. Generally I just go out and pop them in the kitchen bin wrapped in paper. If someone came to visit me, I'd hate to think they would take their tampon home in their bag. Chuck it in my bin, that's what it's there for.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (21-03-2017),Reeve  (19-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Problem solved!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...al-disposal-ki

I suppose you could make up your own version of this with similar household products if leaving pads and tampons in other people's homes isn't your thing.

A few years ago I was staying in MIL's house.
    After about five weeks in to our stay I realised she goes through the bins to seperate rubbish for recycling and rubbish for the tip.
    Yep, not a great moment when I realised she must have gone through oodles of panty liners and pads belonging to me.
    Thanks for the heads up DH!!!
    Last edited by BH-bubhub; 20-03-2017 at 13:32. Reason: removed a link to mamamia

Thanks
    Reviews
    I either plan around it or find a way to do it out of the house. I will pretend I forgot something, or will volunteer to do something that gets me out of the house and duck into a public loo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't plan around it as everyone lives away and so when we visit, it's for days at a time and if it comes, it comes and I can't do much about it.
    I also have crazy heavy flows (changing tampons and pads every 45 mins roughly for the first two days). I always keep one of those little dispensers that has the little plastic bags for nappies, in my luggage. I just grab one of them when I grab the next tampon and pad, put the used stuff in it, tie it up and chuck it in the Otto bin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be incredibly annoyed if I had to call a plumber to a pipe blocked by a tampon! I have never ever flushed them and didn't realize people did! I have found those plastic nappy bags come in handy, I wrap in toilet paper and bag it and throw it in their big bin outside if possible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (21-03-2017)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember when I was much younger, tampons were marketed as being flushable. It was one of their key messages, that they were easier to deal with than pads. I don't remember when it changed, but I know it has.
    If it's a friend of family member's house I'm at, I would just ask them and have done. No one has recoiled at the question, it's been "just use the bin next to the toilet" and in other cases, "here's a little bag, just chuck it in the kitchen/outside/wherever bin".
    If I'm not comfortable asking, I plastic bag it and bin it at home.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    I remember when I was much younger, tampons were marketed as being flushable. It was one of their key messages, that they were easier to deal with than pads.
    Thank you for posting this. I'm pretty sure we're the same age, and this was the message back in the day.

I'm feeling like such a gormless a-hole after reading this thread. I admitted to flushing. I genuinely thought they are designed to be flushable. I had never been told not to, nor have I ever seen an article saying 'don't flush tampons'. I feel like I've been living under some form of rock and I'm quite embarrassed.

I will not be flushing them again and will come up with a disposal plan. In fact, I think it's time I tried a cup and avoided tampons all together.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-03-2017),Californication  (20-03-2017),JustJaq  (20-03-2017),TheGooch  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I'm pretty sure we're the same age, and this was the message back in the day.

I'm feeling like such a gormless a-hole after reading this thread. I admitted to flushing. I genuinely thought they are designed to be flushable. I had never been told not to, nor have I ever seen an article saying 'don't flush tampons'. I feel like I've been living under some form of rock and I'm quite embarrassed.

I will not be flushing them again and will come up with a disposal plan. In fact, I think it's time I tried a cup and avoided tampons all together.
    Don't stress. I am "younger" and I haven't seen any don't flush tampon messages anywhere before either. The only reason I don't is because I knew someone who's plumbing went bad and the house flooded because of it. And that was when I was about 14. So if it hadn't been for that, I might not know either

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post

I must say i was quite surprised by this thread too! I sure do remember we were told it was ok to flush 'back in the day' when i started using them (must have been early 1990s probably?) and i don't think I've read a tampon leaflet since! I just thought you didn't flush them in septic systems or if the plumbing was already dodgy. I checked a tampon leaflet last night - it says don't flush now!

At some point, I'll look into cups too i think.

Wonder how many other people flush but who are too embarrassed to say?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I must be odd, as I'd ask the person who lived there....

ETA: I have PocoPouch in my bag- these little bag things designed for this. So wrap in toilet paper and put in the bag, then bin. I keep them in the bathroom for guests too. I started carrying them as some of my friends don't have bins in their bathrooms and I didn't want to walk through the house with a used sanitary item.
    Last edited by DT75; 20-03-2017 at 14:30.