+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default WDYT Prep report?

I just got my Dd report today and I am a not quite happy with a few things about it. Obviously I am a bit sensitive as it is my child so I am after some unbiased opinions. I understand my girl is no Angel (belive me I know lol) but she is very intelligent, a great artist, and has a witty sense of huomor. Her kindergarten teacher outlined this in her end of year write up and also stated that he has never met someone who is so enthusiastic about learning and that she was doing well in making friends. At School she saw a speech pathologist, who was nearing retirement age, for a very mild speech impairment and she said she had never met a student who was as bright as her before. I know my girl is not playing with any girls and has two very good boy friends who she gets along great with. Shes is having issues with one of the boys, that I will be speaking to the teacher about as he is not letting her join in and tellin her do things for acceptance - like climb a really high slide that she fell off and hurt herself and saying only girls with long hair can play, she has short hair. I am a little annoyed too with the teacher after reading this because we spoke with her at the start of the year asking if she could please tell us if there were any read flags for aspergers (asd) as my husband and son have been diagnosed and I belive my other children need to also be assessed as they have many traits. Read flags are definatly being waved for me in this report and she has not spoken to us about it as requested.I have never come across a report from any of my other children's teachers that takes this tone and doesn't really have anything positive to say about her. Surely you could find something to balance the negative. I understand that you have to report what you observe but it is very different to last years report. I am also a very concerned as to how poorly composed it is. This lady is a teacher and I feel the syntax is all over the shop. Before I approch the teacher to discuss this I am very interested in what others think of it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Skye Baby; 17-03-2017 at 23:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, You might want to edit out your dd's name in the second sentence too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WDYT Prep report?

It does seem a little bit disjointed and I agree with you in that I'm surprised (given you've mentioned red flags) that the teacher hasn't discussed any of the 'conflicts with her peers' and her apparent 'sensitivity with other children' comments to you in person before this report.

I was thinking of my dd's prep report card from last year, and it was such a run of the mill generically written report, not much about her as a person perse.

I would definitely be asking for a one on one chat with this teacher, at least so she can articulate the reasons she wrote those things. I guess she felt they were more important to mention than her artistic talents and the like. But yes, definitely organise a meeting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Skye Baby  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    OP, You might want to edit out your dd's name in the second sentence too.
    Opps thanks for that. Have edited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a teacher, a few thoughts come to mind: the teacher may have used a 'comment bank' to write the comment (a long list of pre-written sentences and you choose certain ones for each student), that can make it sound disjointed. The fact that there's not a lot of positivity or encouragement could mean she was rushed/tired when writing it so I'd definitely arrange a meeting just to clarify how concerned the teacher is and what the suggestions are for improvement.

She/the school may have had a particular focus for report comments. We are not allowed to refer to specific assessments but must comment on skills and behaviour.

Anyway, hopefully you get some clarification soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids report comments are often disjointed. I'm pretty sure the comments are sentences plucked from a whole list of descriptive sentances. I'd be disappointed that she couldn't find some positive stuff. I'd organise a meeting to clarify...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    As a teacher, a few thoughts come to mind: the teacher may have used a 'comment bank' to write the comment (a long list of pre-written sentences and you choose certain ones for each student), that can make it sound disjointed. The fact that there's not a lot of positivity or encouragement could mean she was rushed/tired when writing it so I'd definitely arrange a meeting just to clarify how concerned the teacher is and what the suggestions are for improvement.

She/the school may have had a particular focus for report comments. We are not allowed to refer to specific assessments but must comment on skills and behaviour.

Anyway, hopefully you get some clarification soon.
    Thanks for your response. Interesting about a comment bank. I had a look at the department of educations web site an the intention of the comments in this report was to let us know how they are settling in and if there are any concerns. I guess she has addressed the concerns really well. I also thought that the writing sounded like she was tired.
    I am going to organise a meeting.