+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Happiness or money?

DH has wanted to be an airline pilot since he was a child. A few years ago he finally made it and is now a pilot with one of Australia's major airlines.

He is happy in his dream job but the problem is the money is not very good, he gets paid half of what he used to get in his old office job. He only gets one weekend off a month and his job is only secure until his next check, which if he fails would mean no job.

Recently he was approached by his old work to come back. He was not very happy in this job but the money is double and the hours are more family friendly, plus it has job security.

DH is really stressed trying to make the right decision about what's best for him and also best for our young family.

Lots of people always say being a pilot would be a great job, and DH loves it, but it's also a big sacrifice in pay, job security and lifestyle. Lots of people also say money is the reason why we all work and stop being a romantic and go where the money is.

If he leaves and goes back to the office job it's hard, or even impossible to get back into a flying job one day so he would be effectively giving away his flying passion forever, but as a family living with the ever increasing costs of Sydney we would be far better off financially for the long term.

He has my support either way. Many of our friend's and family's wives say they would make him leave for the better paying job because more money brings happiness and he will eventually get over the flying. But I doubt this is true for my DH.

Want should we do: stay in the low paying airline job that he loves or return to a well paid office job that he doesn't love? What's more important being happy in your job or earning a good wage? So confusing. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this is the eternal question. And I am struggling with making the decision myself in the next 2 months. I have no idea what to do so I am no help sorry!
    I think in your case though the lifestyle factor is huge - if he's missing significant amounts of family time with flying then maybe the trade off of being home will be worth it and the extra money is a bonus?
    Such a hard call. I have previously left a field I loved to go to a job with more money and close to home with job security. I hated it. I am now facing the same decision again and this time I will probably stick with low security less pay but more job satisfaction and hope for the best. But this job also gives me lifestyle flexibility that I can't get elsewhere which is a huge factor for me with a young child. You can't buy that IMO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I don't think money can buy you happiness. Imo, happiness is more important provided you have a livable wage. When you have a family, I think you need to take into consideration everyone's happiness as well though.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017),DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (08-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happiness every time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    It is very hard

will the airline job increase in pay eventually? If so, then I would stick with it.

Being unhappy in a job truly sucks - and knowing that you have given up a career that you love to do that would be infinitely worse.

It certainly doesnt sound family friendly though - its hard to work out a way around it

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017),Californication  (18-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Different decisions at different stages of your life. Right now, I would say choose your family (which means the office job) to spend more time together. Extra money is a bonus & will help set you up for future financial flexibility to change jobs again.

I would hope your DH could return to flying when the time is right. It may be hard to in the future but surely it's not impossible.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017),smallpotatoes  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In order of importance:
    1. Family friendly hours
    2. Job satisfaction
    3. Potential future job satisfaction / progression
    4. Money (unless things are really tight in which case money would rank higher)

Sounds like a hard choice as the pilot job fulfils items 2 and 3 but the office job fulfils items 1 and 4....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-03-2017),smallpotatoes  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the PP about different things being important at different stages of your life. I wish I could advise you on what the 'best' decision is but I think only you know the answer!

We're in a similar predicament, although not by choice. DP works in a high paying, senior corporate role and until recently he 'thought' he loved it...but it's like overnight he just had an epiphany. All of a sudden he realised his heart wasn't in it - the long hours, the politics, the effects of the decisions he has to make...it just didn't seem worth it to him. Now the company is announcing massive cuts and job losses, of which his role may be one, and he's feeling rather ambivalent about it. He earns a smaller, second income doing what he loves, so he's aiming to expand that and even look into teaching what he loves.

It will mean our income will nosedive...it'll probably be cut in half for a while. But we're OK with that. For the last few years we've really needed the higher income to get us through a tough spot, so leaving never would have been a possibility, and that's what I mean by different situations causing different decisions. If you guys can survive comfortably on a lower income then you're probably leaning towards that. We now don't 'need' to be earning as much as we are, sure it makes life easier but seeing the life drain out of DP the longer he is in this job is just NOT worth it to us.

On the flip side, I work in a job I don't love, but it's good money and within school hours so that's why I do it. Other things, like being able to take my daughter to and from school, are more important to me, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of my personal satisfaction for now. I don't feel like I could do it forever though, and as she gets a bit older (or DP starts teaching and can do school pick up sometimes), I'll probably be looking for something more enjoyable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd always choose happiness over 'extra' money. As in, if the job you love pays the bills and doesn't have you stressed financially but the other job just gives you 'more' money, I'd choose the job that gives the happiness.

DH switched from a FIFO job where he was earning big money and halved his pay to work close to home. We've never regretted that.

But in your situation it sounds more complicated than that - his dream job doesn't have family friendly hours. Will he regret missing out on those? What did he dislike about his office job - the job or the people? Is it really impossible to go back to flying later? All questions he'll probably need to sit down and analyze to make the decision that's best for you guys!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Happiness or money?

Happiness wins for us. I don't believe money buys happiness. Work is where you spend a massive amount of hours of your life - spending it somewhere where you're miserable to me isn't worth money. We have friends in this situation. He earns big bucks but is miserable because the job is so stressful and not his passion.

That said the choice isn't simple. Time with family also matters a great deal. But if it was purely about the jobs - easy choice for me - passion and happiness.
    Last edited by teenie; 17-03-2017 at 15:11.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (17-03-2017),loislane2010  (17-03-2017)