+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hoping to become first time Mum

Hi all. I'm new to the hub so just introducing myself.

By the time I hit 30 and still single, I'd reconciled myself to never becoming a Mum. Now I'm nearly 37, and have been married for 4.5 months. We are discussing starting a family but I have a few concerns:

- Becoming a first time mum at my age
    - Financial impact of taking time off work (and still being able to pay the mortgage)
    - Potential health complications (I have endometriosis and iron deficiency)

I have a great dr so am confident she will address the health stuff. But any input or advice on the other factors would be wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Want to be mum trying for number 1

Hello, first forum post ever! I'm 33 ,my partner and I have been in career mode and due to university for the fourth time round we are trying now after being together for 9 years Nervous that it won't happen any time soon as we work a lot and tend to just have sex on the weekends and are finding it hard to have sex after a 15 hour shift and it still be special . Any tips and tricks ?other then tracking what has worked for others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi to both of you!
    @The2Peas Don't worry about age or money, when you need energy you will find it and the same for money IMHO.
    @Sjohn I lol'd at having 'special' procreation/baby making sex. Unfortunately, it just isn't after trying for a while. DH have an agreement that it's 'special' when not baby making and/or when we have time and they takes the pressure of a bit...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The2Peas View Post

- Becoming a first time mum at my age
    - Financial impact of taking time off work (and still being able to pay the mortgage)
    - Potential health complications (I have endometriosis and iron deficiency)

Welcome!

Well .... I'll see your 37, and I'll raise you 42! My first baby is due just before I turn 43 and honestly, I'm not worried about that at all. The energy I need to look after a little one will be there when I need it - just the same as with younger Mums. You'll do what you need to do hon!

The money was never a concern of mine either. Not that we're well-off (far from it!) but I think logistical stuff like that tends to work itself out as you go along. If you are working now, you could try living off just your husband's wage and banking away your wage for when bub comes. That way you'll be used to living a little more frugally by the time the Big Day rolls around, and you'll have a nice little nest egg tucked away.

Health-wise, a good OB and GP will see you right. The risks are there (as they are with anyone) but hey, I'm 42 and so far my BP is well controlled, and I passed my glucose test with flying colours. I had no morning sickness, no sore boobs and very few symptoms until the end of the first trimester. For an old duck, I'm rocking it! You can too

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Applemummy  (22-03-2017),Deskar  (22-03-2017),The2Peas  (22-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Blissom74, well said Hun. You rock. I am 39 and TTC for 2 years now.
    Never worried about if I am too old to have a baby but when can I be a mum. 40 is the new 30, isnt it?
    Although as FS said it doesn't work for your fertility as you get older, it's harder to have babies.

I think if you have made up your mind, don't delay any more. Bring all your guns and get to work. My mum always said, it's harder to get pregnant than to raise up a kid. I understand what she meant now.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Applemummy For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (22-03-2017),Deskar  (22-03-2017),The2Peas  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Applemummy View Post
    @Blissom74, well said Hun. You rock. I am 39 and TTC for 2 years now.
    Never worried about if I am too old to have a baby but when can I be a mum. 40 is the new 30, isnt it?
    Although as FS said it doesn't work for your fertility as you get older, it's harder to have babies.

I think if you have made up your mind, don't delay any more. Bring all your guns and get to work. My mum always said, it's harder to get pregnant than to raise up a kid. I understand what she meant now.

I understand what she was saying too.

I might well be rocking the whole pregnancy thing but the conception part I sucked at - after 4 rounds of IVF we had to use the help of an egg donor.

Still .... whatever you have to do, right?! There is always a way

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Applemummy  (22-03-2017),Deskar  (22-03-2017),Minniemin  (24-03-2017),The2Peas  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 40 with first baby due in August. We started trying when I was 36. Then we found out we had male infertility issues two years later on top of my endo. My advice to you is don't delay due to financial and work worries. If you really want a baby start now. Fertility starts to decline at 35 and the longer you leave it the worse it gets.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gingerlion For This Useful Post:

Minniemin  (24-03-2017),The2Peas  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had my twins at 40. Perfect pregnancy and all the energy in the world to keep up with my nearly 4 year olds now. I feel more energetic than i ever did in my 20's and 30's. The kids must force us to find the 'extra' or something but it's truly never been a problem.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

The2Peas  (25-03-2017)