+ Reply to Thread
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

Default Has anyone purchased or built a house in a high BAL area?

I want to know your thoughts on buying a house or building in a high BAL area/block. I'm concerned about the bushfire risk in particular (rather than cost of building) and what it's like to live in a high risk area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone purchased or built a house in a high BAL area?

Hey! We live in a high bushfire risk area.
    I don't know that much though
    I know you have to have your newly built house built under bushfire regulations.
    You are also allowed to take down trees within 20 metres of your house without council approval to protect you more.
    We also have free services for getting away green waste for 2 months of the year
    There hasn't been a major bushfire here since Ash Wednesday
    There have been small ones though. You get a text to tell you that's it's s risk to stay if you are not prepared. Most people evacuate. The siren goes off too

Oh and we live only 20 min drive out of cbd. We have a major national park opposite and it's on the 'edge' of the Adelaide hills. I wouldn't personally live in more remote areas further from cbd. Ours is very built up with several schools . Probably 60,000 people in 6 suburbs.
    Last edited by Kazza78; 16-03-2017 at 11:29.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally would not. I grew up in an area where bushfires happened every few years. I lived far enough away so we never had fires but I knew many people who did.

The things I would also consider are:

*Insurance - high flood/fire areas it may cost more. Also you would want to be covered.
    *Ensuring the property/block is relatively 'fire safe'. So not too close to bushland/uncleared property.
    *Research actual fires that occurred in the area and the damage
    *If you do make sure you all know to help protect your house and property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We will be moving to the Blue Mountains and it is obviously a high BAL area. Every house we look at is in the designated bushfire area.

Whilst the risk is high, I don't feel uncomfortable about moving there. My cousin's house burnt down in the mountains in the 2013 fires.

My husband was looking at land but we've done one Reno, I refuse to do more building, especially when it involves stricter requirements.

I've got a lot of friends in the mountains and they love it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Thank you @Kazza78 I'll have to check the councils of the properties we are looking at regarding takinh down trees within 20m. Good to hear about the texts - if we do buy in a high risk area, our plan will be to evacuate. One property we want to look at backs onto a national park - beautiful views but also huge risk.
    @twinklify thanks for the practical suggestions...a brief look at insurance looks like it will cost 3x as much as a low risk area. One area we are looking at has had a major fire through recently.
    @BigRedV what is your approach to the bushfire risk, what makes you feel comfortable? How is your cousin now, did they rebuild?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Thank you @Kazza78 I'll have to check the councils of the properties we are looking at regarding takinh down trees within 20m. Good to hear about the texts - if we do buy in a high risk area, our plan will be to evacuate. One property we want to look at backs onto a national park - beautiful views but also huge risk.
    @twinklify thanks for the practical suggestions...a brief look at insurance looks like it will cost 3x as much as a low risk area. One area we are looking at has had a major fire through recently.
    @BigRedV what is your approach to the bushfire risk, what makes you feel comfortable? How is your cousin now, did they rebuild?
    Even though it's a bushfire prone area and there's lots of regulations when building, I don't actually fear the bushfires. My cousin's house burnt down because there was a rotten tree that fell onto the uninsulated powerlines. Not because of extreme weather.

My cousin couldn't be happier as she sold the land and bought her dream house in the same area.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    How big is the one you want to look at adorned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    About 1.7 acres @Kazza78

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds awesome. You'll be fine. My reason for not living out further is not just the risk, it's being away from everything convenient. If you do everything right and also leave as soon as a fire starts , you'll be fine. Like bigv said, I don't fear it either really.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @Kazza78 This area is much further out of the city but still quite convenient so ds' wouldn't need to change childcare and the commute to work would be ok. We've looked out further but not convenient to schools we like. The property we want to look at ticks almost all the boxes.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (17-03-2017)