+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    is there a course for doctors reception, or nurse? or perhaps a dental nurse ? I am just thinking perhaps look at what employment is close to you, so you don't have the long commute, and then take on whatever study for that field. ? marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I want to point out not every job needs a degree.

You need to forget your age. If you want to study something specific then just do it.

I know this has been asked before but what do you want to do?

My job does not require a degree.

For me, I did not want to have a particular career. All I want/ed was a job that meant I use my brain but I did not feel like 'climbing the corporate ladder' or changing the world.

In the end I want/ed a mix of home/kids and not so stressful work. And some extra money comes in handy.

So what is important to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to go back to basics and stop worrying about what is advertised now.

Think about what makes you happy

Why do you want to study

What do you want to get out of working?

For me. No one could answer those questions but myself.
    The area that has always given me joy is not often advertised where I live but instead I made a few calls chatted to some people in the industry to get advise which I followed and am in the process of getting my diploma.
    Now Im almost finished I rang a local place to ask if they would do work experience. After a few weeks they have asked if I would like to do more formal training with them which hopefully will lead to a job.
    If it doesnt it will give me a few names to put on my cv which is key, you need to know people.

I was like you and depressed and frustrated over not having what I wanted just appear, until I sat and thought what do I want to make me satisfied in life again.
    I have told dh my plan for the next few years until my youngest is in school and too bad if he doesnt like it as I have put me last long enough

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Jobs p/t or school hours?

It sounds like this is really stressing you out. I know the feeling - I am about to finish a degree I started a long time ago. My placements were very spread out and the last one was nearly 3 years ago now. My job prospects in my field aren't great due to high competition and lack of practical experience. I was so stressed out by what would happen afterwards that I was not completing the work I needed to do to actually finish my degree. Everybody thinks I'm excited to finish something I've worked so hard for, but in reality it kind of feels like I've wasted the last 8 years doing this!

What I think you should do (and what I've done) is stop putting pressure on yourself to pick the perfect career right now. Stop looking at what's advertised now and forget about studying options for a little while. Pick up some volunteer work doing something that you think you'll enjoy. It doesn't have to be in the field that you'll eventually train and work in.

Volunteer work has so many benefits - it allows you to do something that is out of the house and is for you; it allows you to practice or build upon skills that are useful in the workforce; it gives you the opportunity for referees for when you do apply for courses/paid work; it can help build confidence (this was a big one for me - it's been a long time since I felt appreciated in a work place). The pressure you are putting on yourself is so great that it's clouding your judgement and reducing your ability to make well thought out decisions.

Finding something that you enjoy, gaining skills and confidence, and feeling appreciated has the potential to clear your mind and allow you to remember what you enjoy and gain value from doing. A decision about the rest of your working career doesn't have to be made today. Give it time.

ETA Sorry, I just realized that I didn't answer the original question! I think jobs that just require school hours are rare: in my experience most of the working mothers I know make alternative arrangements for school pick ups and care on days they're working.
    Last edited by sajimum; 16-03-2017 at 13:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work part time, but I work afternoon/evening shifts.
    Is there a reason why your husband couldn't pick the kids up from daycare/school?
    My husband works from home, so we swap roles. When I'm working he's responsible for the kids and vice versa. If he worked in a 9-5 job though, the kids would be at daycare/after school care. I'd drop them off some time before work, and he'd pick them up on his way home. Then he'd do dinner/bed etc. and I'd get home around 10:30-11pm.
    I'm a youth worker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How about nursing or paramedic? Both could be part time i reckon and both extremely rewarding. Your dh and you could perhaps share the load with pick ups drop offs etc. Sorry to post twice but i keep thinking of cool careers i would like to try if i decide on a career change one day : ) good luck with your decision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do reception in community services in school hours, 9-1. There's lots of reception work in my area in school hours - well ok, not lots, but it's out there. I could easily study while I'm working then go into a support worker role if I wanted (I don't, but if you're looking for further career progression than just admin / reception it is possible )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look on gumtree. They tend to get ads from smaller companies wanting people on a part time basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a nurse in a private practice. All the staff work part - time. I usually get out by 5.30ish and picked my DS from daycare at 6ish (my daycare was open til 6.30 and OOSH open til 6.15). I start at 8.30 or 9 and use BSC if I need to. I only work 2/3 days per week.
    All our medical reception staff work part time too, similar hours. We are all parents and NONE of us have useful grandparents! 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently doing a Cert 3 in Early Childhood Education online. I want to do a Bachelor of ECE eventually but I want to be able to start working in a preschool/daycare asap so I just started with the Cert 3. There are placements but it is only 1 day per week for 13 weeks or so - you could arrange it to be on the day your youngest is at daycare.

The biggest reason I am getting into this industry is because it will fit into family life well. They may have to go to before and after school care but I will be home for weekends and school holidays. If you live an hour out of of Sydney CBD there will undoubtedly be dozens of centres within very close distance to you.

Am I absolutely thrilled at the prospect of being a preschool teacher? No. But I am passionate about kids getting the best start possible, I know I will be good at it and the job prospects are huge. The pay isn't good, but the schedule works for me and the role I want in my family. It is something I will be able to do until I stop working. So they are the reasons I am doing it.