+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Jobs p/t or school hours?

Just curious as to what jobs people manage to hold down that are part-time or particularly school hours? I'm trying to research new career options after being home for 10 years with my babies. The more job ads I read the more depressed I get. Even my back up of getting back into admin seems flexibility needs to be at the employee's end (eg expected to cover holidays / clinic hours to 6.30). Even with oosh once take into account travel time to city (1hrish) 8.30-4.30 would be longest day possible. How do all you working mums do it?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it's a job then there's always night fill, working behind a bar in a club, you could start doing cleaning and advertise in your local area by letterbox dropping or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We employ reception/assistants 9-3 and Saturday mornings (real estate office)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a shift worker and my husband works interstate. I don't use oosh as the hours don't work. I have a babysitter. Realistically, I think that to gain school hours in a job that's not a job where you pick your own hours (like cleaning), you aren't going to get school hours as the new employee so you need to look for alternative options for care beyond oosh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I'm a shift worker and my husband works interstate. I don't use oosh as the hours don't work. I have a babysitter. Realistically, I think that to gain school hours in a job that's not a job where you pick your own hours (like cleaning), you aren't going to get school hours as the new employee so you need to look for alternative options for care beyond oosh.
    Thanks this is what I'm starting to suspect. My last job (10 years ago!) was very flexible. I didn't appreciate the rarity of that back then when I made the mistake of quitting and moving to Sydney. But I remember there were public health trainees with school kids who were able to work around school and care commitments, but I'm not sure if they had that flexibility from the start.
    Might look into getting an au pair. Or Demi tho think they're hard to find....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Thanks this is what I'm starting to suspect. My last job (10 years ago!) was very flexible. I didn't appreciate the rarity of that back then when I made the mistake of quitting and moving to Sydney. But I remember there were public health trainees with school kids who were able to work around school and care commitments, but I'm not sure if they had that flexibility from the start.
    Might look into getting an au pair. Or Demi tho think they're hard to find....
    We were going to get an au pair but through word of mouth we hired a uni student instead. It works for us. We pay her the same as an au pair, but she goes home. It works for us...some weeks I only need her 2 or 3 hours, other weeks she works 20 hours. We pay the same regardless so it all works out. She doesn't cook (I leave meals) or do household stuff like an au pair beyond loading the dishwasher after dinner and ensuring the kids have tidied up. Some nights she's at my house until 11pm by the time I get home from work, but she just studies once the kids are in bed so she's really just being in my house. The kids love it because they still get to go to friend's houses and their after school activities etc after school.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about teaching? That way you would get school hols off too. I work fulltime and have fulltime oosh and daycare so maybe thats another option for you if you can't get a job thats only within school hrs. I like the idea of an au pair who goes home. That sounds good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old are your kids now?

I will be back at work in 2 weeks. I have 2 kids - a 4yo and almost 1yo.

I will be working 3 days a week - my hours will probably be 8-4.

DS will be going to school next year. He will be in OOSC for 2-3 days. My hours will still be the same.

Maybe try finding work in the suburbs?

Do you want a specific career? Or do you just need to do something other than being a SAHM?

If you just want something other than being a SAHM maybe you can look at doing admin/reception (since you worked in public health maybe you could do a course as well and work in a dr's surgery/hospital reception). Or retail/hospitality (as the hours will be more flexible).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If it's a job then there's always night fill, working behind a bar in a club, you could start doing cleaning and advertise in your local area by letterbox dropping or something.
    It's not for a job now my youngest won't start school until 2020. I want to study but I want to get it right and do something that will lead to a job in the end. For my own sanity and to get back my own financial independence. Dd2 is only at daycare 1 day a week and I spend that whole time researching study options and reading job ads etc. I end up in tears every time. And now it's spilling over into days she's home and evenings I'm on the computer searching jobs and courses non stop but get nowhere and end up running into the bathroom to cry where my kids can't witness it. All my friends have careers (and grandparents who help with school pick ups) and they are sick of hearing about it. If I cared about a career I shouldn't have given up my job etc.
    I couldn't be a cleaner I'm useless at cleaning. I really want to use my brain again :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    How old are your kids now?

I will be back at work in 2 weeks. I have 2 kids - a 4yo and almost 1yo.

I will be working 3 days a week - my hours will probably be 8-4.

DS will be going to school next year. He will be in OOSC for 2-3 days. My hours will still be the same.

Maybe try finding work in the suburbs?

Do you want a specific career? Or do you just need to do something other than being a SAHM?

If you just want something other than being a SAHM maybe you can look at doing admin/reception (since you worked in public health maybe you could do a course as well and work in a dr's surgery/hospital reception). Or retail/hospitality (as the hours will be more flexible).
    Definitely not retail, I did that in my teens and that's where all the sahm's of my mums generation ended up. I hated working in retail. I wouldn't mind working in health admin but I'm not seeing many jobs coming up locally and city jobs seem to expect more flexibility from their workers.
    God i sound so miserable and negative. I just don't believe 10 years out of workforce should see me on the scrap heap when I could have another 20-25 years of work in me... it's just the whole family juggle and finding something that has job prospects.