ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have DD (6) and DS (4). We started pocket money for both of them this year. They can earn pocket money only if they have done the list of 'no pay' jobs that are part of life - making beds, setting table, tidying up after themselves, keeping rooms clean, packing/unpacking bags, helping make lunches, dishes and clothes away after use, etc. assuming they do all of those then we have a list of optional extras that have an associated pay - vacuuming (which they both love!), cleaning the bathroom (which we assist with), dusting, feeding the dog, bringing bins in and out, etc. We plan on adding to the no pay/expected jobs as they get older and we expect more of them on a daily basis. DD is very motivated to earn her maximum $6 every week (and has so far saved it all). DS' motivation is variable (and he just spent everything he saved on a Beyblade!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is almost 3. He puts his toys away, puts his dirty laundry in the laundry basket, helps put the cloths away, puts his rubbish in the bin, and he likes to load the washing machine.

No pocket money but he does get our silver coins for his money box every now and then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are 12, almost 10, 7 and almost 3. They dont have chores that are forced up on them, but often help out. They decided they wanted to do two chores a day. One for free and one they get 50c for. The younger one just copies the other kids by helping put things away.
    Once a month they get their money which adds to roughly $15 to $20. They save some and put their money together to buy things and the rest they buy things for themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    No pocket money. Chores are part of life. My kids helped clean up from the moment they could walk. Obviously not much, but they'd be given a toy and asked to put it in the toy box type of thing.
    Like LLH, my aim is to have self sufficient adults. By year 6 my kids know enough that they could know enough to live with adults for a week if they had food (this would never happen!). By teenage years they help out with absolutely everything.
    Our rule is that they look after themselves (make bed, pack bag, dirty clothes in basket, tidy room, unpack bag from 5 when they start school. Then from 6 they would have one extra daily job - feed the dog, clean up dog poo, put groceries away, unpack dishwasher. By 8 they can vacuum, fold and put away clothes, by 10 they can clean bathrooms and know how to cook a meal, and can make school snacks etc. Etc.)
    That's awesome

I'm aiming for this