+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Chores for kids

What chores do your kids do? (and what age are they?)

Do they get pocket money for doing chores? if so .. how much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No money. Chores are done because they are part of family.
    Money job are available but they are totally optional and arranged at the request of the child.

4 yr old simple tidying.
    8 yr old table, simple tidying, picking up the backyard.
    Teens everything and anything from cooking to washing etc...

My goal is to raise kids that can move out and be able to live independently with ease. After seeing kids being sent of uni who have never cooked or use the washing machine. I vowed my kids would know what they needed to know.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (15-03-2017),Pinklise  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 6, I started giving him pocket money this year $6 a week but he really didn't seem to care so I've just forgotten about it! I'm thinking he was just too young and doesn't really need money for anything yet so I might try again next year
    He does general chores like puts away his toys, puts his dirty clothes in the laundry , puts any dishes/cups in the sink, takes out garbage bags if I ask, tidies room (not very well yet!) and feeds the dog in the morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 helps with the following: mowing the lawn, any gardening, scooping leaves from the pool, bins out each week, empties bins inside, taking laundry out of washer, helping with dinner, dishes, packing clean clothes away, empties nappy bin, he is also a massive helper with his baby ds, they shower together (DS2 in a bath seat) helps to dry and dress him and even helps with the odd clean nappy, gets a bottle ready for him if I'm doing something else, tidying of the toy room & play pen, vaccums, makes his bed, waters his veggie patch, feeds the dogs.

He doesn't do this every day. Some are more some are less. He gets $8 a week direct debit and it mowing of the lawn takes place he gets an extra $5. His baby brother gets $2 a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest is 4.

We expect her to tidy up after herself, tidy her room at the end of every day, get herself ready in the mornings, put her dishes in the dish washer, put rubbish in the bin, put her dirty washing in the washing machine.

Sometimes she helps with hanging washing out/bringing it in, putting washing away, preparing food, cleaning, pulling out weeds, looking after plants, feeding the dog... Whatever needs to be done really. We expect her to help if asked. Usually she's happy to, though not always.

No pocket money here yet, but when the kids get pocket money it won't be for everyday household stuff...we expect them to contribute to that stuff because it's part of running the household that they live in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS is 6, I started giving him pocket money this year $6 a week but he really didn't seem to care so I've just forgotten about it! I'm thinking he was just too young and doesn't really need money for anything yet so I might try again next year
    He does general chores like puts away his toys, puts his dirty clothes in the laundry , puts any dishes/cups in the sink, takes out garbage bags if I ask, tidies room (not very well yet!) and feeds the dog in the morning
    Dd is the same. I only was giving $2 a week but she couldnt really care less, occasionally she will remember though.

She is 7 and has to make her bed, set the table each night and put her clothes down the laundry shute. Even though these are every day chores I STILL have to remind her every day.

Coming into Autumn when the leaves start falling off the trees she gets pocket money for filling the wheelie bin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 7 helps with general tidying, takes his dishes to sink, dirty clothes in dirty clothes basket, takes rubbish out to the bin. If I'm not trying to hurry up, I get him to stack/unstuck the dishwasher.
    I've shown him how to make his bed and he does it probably once a week.

Ds2 5 is starting to also help with those chores.

A great job that they both do is dusting the skirting boards, either with a dust cloth or with the vacuum extension.

I usually give them $2 each as pocket money but only ds1 seems to care (probably coz I've said that we're not doing bday presents this year, as I want them to value the stuff that they already have).

I agree with the PP, I have to remind them to do regular stuff daily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No pocket money. Chores are part of life. My kids helped clean up from the moment they could walk. Obviously not much, but they'd be given a toy and asked to put it in the toy box type of thing.
    Like LLH, my aim is to have self sufficient adults. By year 6 my kids know enough that they could know enough to live with adults for a week if they had food (this would never happen!). By teenage years they help out with absolutely everything.
    Our rule is that they look after themselves (make bed, pack bag, dirty clothes in basket, tidy room, unpack bag from 5 when they start school. Then from 6 they would have one extra daily job - feed the dog, clean up dog poo, put groceries away, unpack dishwasher. By 8 they can vacuum, fold and put away clothes, by 10 they can clean bathrooms and know how to cook a meal, and can make school snacks etc. Etc.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

misho  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Chores for kids

8 yo - make bed, put clothes away, take dishes to sink, set table, clear table, wipe table, wash up, feed pets, hang washing, take washing in, take rubbbish out

6 yo - make bed, put washing in basket, take rubbish out, bring bins in, take dishes to sink, wash up, wipe table, bring washing in

4 yo - take dishes to sink, put washing in basket, pack toys away. She loves mopping but always makes a mess with the water

My kids don't get pocket money for chores.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD is almost 3. She tries to make her bed, put her toys back in the toy box, put her dirty laundry in the laundry basket, put her rubbish in the bin, and take her plate or bowl and cutlery to the sink when she's finished eating. No pocket money here.
    Last edited by Catzilla; 16-03-2017 at 07:51.