+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Devastated only 6 mature follicles! 😥

Sorry posting so much here lately!!!

I'm 31, no known issues. Egg reserve is 27.5 and my FS told me with that number I'm to expect lots of little eggs.... have 17 follicles and only 6 will be the right size at EPU on Wednesday. I'm with qfg who have a great reputation but surely something has gone wrong? Why are my follicles growing so slowly? Should we even be doing egg pick up with only 6? It's totally crushed all my hopes of this cycle working.

How many follicles did you have and how many eggs were retrieved?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mumma2be13; 14-03-2017 at 16:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why weren't you given a couple of extra days to grow the others?

QFG is just a company, the doctor you pick will dictate your results and how aggressive or conservative they are in their approach.

My first FS at QFG got very low egg numbers always under 10. Current FS has gotten between 18-29.

It is also worth remembering that quantity is not as important as quality. 6 good quality eggs is much better than 12 crappy ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with James Moir and only heard great things about him.

I'm not sure! I thought I'd need a few more days too it was always booked for Wednesday but at my first scan at 7 days he said maybe Friday depending on how they grow, had my last scan yesterday and they were waiting for my blood results to tell me if wed or Friday and they called saying bloods were excellent and to stick with wednesday. I'm so worried I've made the wrong decision. Almost 6 years ttc and everyday that ache grows 😥

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumma2be13 For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't despair just yet, 6 mature eggs could be all you need and some follies can be hiding. I went in with 8 mature follicles (at 31) and ended up with 12 eggs, 11 mature and got 6 blastocysts. 6 could be all you need, try and hang in there! You just never know how your body will react to the drugs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (14-03-2017),Mumma2be13  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with @mummymaybe 6 good quality follicles are way better than lots of poor quality ones.

My 1st IVF cycle I was 34 (egg reserve normal) & only had 1 mature follicle ready for EPU, all the rest were to tiny. My EPU was cancelled but the FS decided to try an IUI so the cycle wasn't a complete waste (and to placate me as I wasn't happy about the epu being cancelled) ... BFP!!

Goodluck @Mermaid13 you get your BFP this cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't remember exactly how many follicles I had but it was well over 20 - so many they were hard to count and at epu I only got 11 mature eggs and 7 of those fertilized and 5 were able to be frozen. I had OHSS so couldn't have a fresh transfer. When I had a frozen transfer I got pregnant and now have a lovely toddler. Six decent eggs is not bad at all I think. Don't stress too much just yet - easier said than done I know. All you need is one good embryo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mumma2be13  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only had 7 follicles, unfortunately they could only extract 4 eggs. Only 3 were mature. All 3 eggs fertilised, 1 didn't make it past day 2, fresh transfer didn't take, FET worked and I'm 37 weeks this week. I was devastated after epu but so many ladies on here kept telling me to stay positive it only takes 1 embryo. They say the less eggs you get normally the better quality so stay with that and stay positive.
    My FS started me on the lowest dose hormones to try stop me from over stimulating, which obviously she did given I had such low egg numbers but as an upside to that I also had zero symptoms the whole cycle. Next cycle I will push for a little higher hormones to try and get a few more embryos though.
    Is this your first cycle? They said they need 1-2 cycles to get the right protocol and doses for you.
    Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefull29 For This Useful Post:

Mumma2be13  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had 6 the first time, 10 the second. I was 28 at the time with pcos. First time had only 2 that got to day 5. Second time had 6 get to day 5.

Everyone is different and you never know what will happen. I have two beautiful children now so don't give up now. Try and go with the flow, your FS would tell you if there was an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand how you feel but please don't stress out too much. Like some other ladies have said, having few follies at EPU may not seem ideal but it doesn't mean you can't still get a BFP.
    At 29yrs old our first IVF round only had 6 follies too (5 eggs extracted)...2 embryos implanted and 1 BFP. We now have a healthy 9month old baby girl.

Obviously its not ideal but its 100% quality over quantity in this game. Your 6 follies could be excellent quality, so don't write yourself off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good news story from me: only 2 mature follicles, and we were seriously considering cancelling. Got 2 eggs.... Then 2 embryos... Both transferred.... Then 9 months later one gorgeous baby girl!