+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Currently casual wanting permanent

Hi

im a casual RN hubby is a full time taxi driver. We have one school aged child. No other carers. So rely on either myself or hubby home.

I just applied for a full full time community nurse position. I got an interview. I would really like to take up this position I just don't know what to do in the Xmas holidays. the other school holidays would be semi doable.

Hubby works long long hours and gets good money, but it's not enough to increase the bank balance. My job is casual so it's either all or nothing some weeks. Bank balance looks great on the fortnight I get lots of work.

I really want to work full time. It would help greatly.

I want to ask hubby to work around me for once. His big nights are Friday and Saturday. So I definitely cannot work then. Hopefully they will be flexible a little.

He gets good good money but then it's wear and tear on the cab, services, base fees etc. my money would be the money I get without servicing and base fees.

How ow can I start the discussion? And what do you all think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most places have school holiday care programs. Could you put your child in that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Community nursing is usually office hours, is that the sort of job you've applied for? Much more civilised than hospital shifts!
    Mum works 8-4 weekdays and has a bit of discretion to make appointments at times that suit her.
    Surely working set hours on weekdays is way easier to manage than shift work?
    Vacation care and taking holidays over school holidays is how most people do it.
    Good luck with your job application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the country community nursing is different I have found out. Im not so sure with this job, i only seen the ad at quarter to midnight and it closed on that day so I put in my application quick sticks! So I will have to ask at the interview.

The holiday care in this town is severely lacking, there is two. One always gives preferences to those already in care. Its run out of a daycare. So its extremely hard to get into. The other one is at the PCYC and sometimes they do excursions to a dodgy park nearby where needles/syringes have been found in the past. So Im hesitant to send her on the days they do excusions to this park.

Our school breaks for xmas on the Friday the 9th. And there is no holiday program offerred until till january the 8th so this is what should be interesting.

Sydney is way different and has more. And they wonder why people do not come to the country.

Oh well we will have to try to make it work. I guess. Damn why do we have a defunct pop. Who I wouldnt trust to look after a dog, and he doesnt even come and see DD. He grannie died when she was 4 months old. She would have helped out occasionally. Damn. DD would have had presence in her life of someone other than her parents.

Mysticfalls.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (15-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's confirmed this community nursing job goes from 7:30 -9pm and they work weekends and public holidays. Ok so there you go not all community nurse positions are Monday to Friday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is there any way you could get to know a local older teen who might also be on school holidays and looking for some cash to look after your child for that month until vacation care opens? Maybe some other school mums could help out with a play date when the teen isn't available?