+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Loving everyone's info and input on this one. Really helps getting info from others that have already been or are going thru starting a family etc.
    thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about your Health insurance?

Sorry to hijack your thread OP. But just received a notice in the mail advising us of our yearly increase in premium. Holy cow, i know its only an extra $15 a week but i just feel like we get nothing out of private health insurance. We only have basic hospital and basic extras and it is so concerning that if we do need anything major done in hospital we either have to wait 12 months to go public or fork out heaps more for private health and still wait 12 months.

We mainly atm have private health to avoid the tax surcharge, but do you need hospital and extras or would hospital cover still only be sufficient?

Feels like we get ripped off by trying to avoid the tax surcharge but really not getting much in return!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a shop around @MrsMummaButterfly as plenty of company's have offers at the moment if u join before end of this month. I switched today and got waived waiting periods on extras plus a month free. Others are giving away $200 visa gift cards etc. if you have time to look into it it is probably worth it at the moment.

My partner and I just decided that our priority is basic cover to avoid the tax surcharge. When it comes time to have our kids we won't have enough cash to cover the out of pocket expenses if we were to go private for the birth, so we've decided to cut our losses and pay a smaller monthly fee, save money towards our baby fund.

It's definately personal preference in regards to your current situation.

We have added on extras just to update our glasses and get some back on acupuncture for a couple of months, then will drop back to basic hospital only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @wheelsy i definately will.

My biggest concern is that we have basic hosp cover, and a relative is having to have some major operations and as she only has basic cover she has to fork out $30k, or wait on the public waiting list for 12 months or wait 12 months after increasing her cover. Just seems like a real rip off and a huge grey area with what you are and arent covered for.

Im not concerned with maternity cover as we have an awesome public hospital, more concerning if the need for major surgery if one of us gets injured or something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally get that, that is the scary part. When it comes down to it its so hard to actually get straight forward info on what is actually covered, total grey areas. I'm sorry your relative is going thru that

We just decided we'd cross that bridge when/if we came to it. And I must admit I am abit naive / ignoring reality in that way, as I haven't personally experienced that situation (yet / hopefully never).

I also think the company's love to play on our fears of "what if".....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fwiw, I spent ages wondering if private health was a good investment. Then I had serious gall bladder issues and by going private I had it sorted in 2 months. I ended up around $1500 out of pocket, but it was that or 12+ months on the waiting list whilst in pain.

I pay $70 a fortnight with HBF and get mid hospital, which includes obstetrics and assisted reproductive, and basic extras. If I go in overnight there's a $500 excess, which keeps my fortnightly down.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

wheelsy  (15-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MrsMummaButterfly phi is a huge expense I remember when I was a sole parent with a new born I still kept my phi for both of us. I paid $120 a month for top hospital for a sole parent policy with defence health. Now that same policy is $240 for top hospital only. So in nearly 10 years it has doubled in price. My sister lives in the US and a policy for just her is close to $10k a year her daughter is covered through her ex's work policy. I gringe to what it will be in another 10 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    168 fn for corporate cover family bupa

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just joined teachers health fund (top hospital with pregnancy option but no extras) as we are planning to have our second child. The cost is $240 per month for our family of 3 at the moment ... I got 9 months waiting period which is perfect for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsy View Post

My partner and I just decided that our priority is basic cover to avoid the tax surcharge.

@wheelsy, feel free to tell me to butt out, but in your first post, you said you are low income earners. Are you sure you'd be liable to pay the tax surcharge anyway? The threshold for paying the Medicare surcharge for families is about $180K annual combined income - if you and your partner earn less than this, you don't have to worry about avoiding the surcharge.