+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your Health insurance?

Hi all,
    I'm starting to look further into health insurance to get more value for money.

At the moment my partner and I have individual singles cover for hospital only. Mine also covers obstetrics and assisted reproductive. We pay around $165 per month in total.

We are low income earners. I know when I eventually have the baby I will be going public as we can't afford the extra out of pocket costs associated with a private obstetrician, so even though I have served the 12 month waiting period for obstetrics I doubt I will be using it.

Ideally I would like cover for assisted reproductive for both of us, incase it is needed down the track. I would like extras cover for acupuncture to start going down that road, and also optical as we do need to update our glasses. I have also heard that some health funds cover your gym memberships.

Just looking for feedback at this point as to whether it is worth changing providers to get a bit extra back on acupunture treatments etc.
    What are you covered for,with who and what have you used, would you recommend them?

thanks all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following as I pay $168 a f/n with BUPA for myself and my 4 year old son for hospital and extras which seems ridiculous to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems a lot.....
    The more I look into it the more I want to drop my obstetrics and assisted repro cover.....that's what bumps our cost up, and if we aren't planning on going private anyway.... Then it will be wasted money each month....

Thanks for your reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey @wheelsy I looked into upping my cover a few months ago to include assisted reproduction but it still doesn't cover the whole cost

At the moment I pay $80 f/n with Bupa for hosp and extras just for me
    It's medium cover and gives me obstetrics which was important at the time - now we are thinking of going private I'm wondering how much money I could have saved if I just stuck with basic hosp and no obstetrics lol
    Mine doesn't cover gym membership but it does give me a discounted membership at my gym
    I'm covered for most extras except dietician
    Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Trytryandtryagain yep that helps a lot actually. I think we may do similar, as we have no extras right now but probably have more of a need for that at the moment.
    Thank you!

Do you mean you are going public hosp for ur baby?
    Yes at the moment dropping obstetrics is what I'm thinking, especially to save as much as we can for our future kids, and knowing that we are not in a financial position for the out of pocket costs going private anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were always going private (that's why I've had such high cover) and our fs is also ob but then we found out the cost so now we're not sure
    We are waiting to see GP to get their opinion on public v private

Thanks
    Reviews
    The out of pocket costs are the crazy part!! The more you look into it the more I realise we aren't covered for much. I have had glowing stories on both sides of the fence so public or private I'm sure you will be happy once your bubba is in your arms! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @wheelsy just crazy to think we have to make all these decisions now - wish we could wait a few months but if we want to go private we have to book asap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a point with assisted reproduction: private health only covers surgery fees (egg pickup and transfer), which can be as little as $1000.
    The main costs are the cycle fees which you only get a Medicare rebate for. (We paid about 8.5k and got about 5k back from Medicare).
    So if you're happy to go public to have a baby, and only might need IVF I'd be dropping that part of the cover if cost is a big issue.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm with defence health (my dad was army) and I pay $185/m for top cover no access for hospital only. If I add my boys it $240/m and if I had extras it's $350/m if I add dp it's $460/m.

If I drop obstetrics and ivf it's goes down to $130/m for the top hospital no extra.

You could keep with your own cover to have obstetrics and ivf and your dh has his own cover without it. This is what we have done has it brings the costs down a bit and my dp needs extras for optical where as I don't want extras. My dentist bulk bills me (family friend) and no eyesight is fine. Dp didn't need to be on my policy for our ivf and we did icsi aswell

There is always ways around things

Even when my DS1 will need braces in a few years I've done the sums and I'm just going to pay out of pocket for them as it's not worth paying an extra $8000 plus to get that cover for say 3 years and to only get $3k back in total