+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybump08 View Post
    I had to have a IV iron infusion on Wednesday in the maternity day stay unit which lasted about 90 minutes. I was fine whilst it was being done, bubs was being monitored & she was fine. My BP was taken prior and was 147/90 which the nurse said was a little high (it was taken on one of those electronic BP machines which always give higher readings for me for some bizarre reason), she re-took it on the old fashioned BP machine after the infusion & it was down to 137/80. Normally it's 110/70.

An hour after I left the hospital I started getting a splitting headache. I still have it and the only thing that gives a few hours relief is migraine medication. It has been constant since Wednesday and does not respond to Panadol.

The following day I started getting this strange pain in my back, upper lumber region. It starts off feeling like someone is gently jabbing me then within seconds it explodes/radiates outwards & the pain goes from 0 - 9 (10 being the worst pain ever). It goes up my back, over my right shoulder & around my rib cage so I get pain at the front as well. It settles after a minute or two and there's no residual pain/ache in the effected area. It only happens, so far, when I've been sitting or lying down. It comes on multiple times a day.

Are these both side effects of the Iron Infusion or does it sound like the start of something else (crossing fingers & toes these are not symptoms of PE)
    My SIL had very similar side effects from an iron infusion...she felt quite unwell for 7-10 days, and pretty much house bound for the first 5 days . She wasn't pregnant. Apparently uncommon but not unknown...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How are you going, OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't hear back from my midwife so ended up just going to the local after hours doctors last night and had them check my urine & BP. BP was 120/70 & urine had no protein in it. Am going into the hospital tomorrow for a physio appointment so will drop into the high risk assessment unit and see if they can double check just to be safe. I would have gone last night if it wasn't a 2hr drive each way. Then I have a growth scan, OB appt & Physician appointment on Thursday.
    @M'LadyEm Is the URQ pain that you get with PE the same as what you get with HELLP?

I was never diagnosed with PE but did have full blown HELLP with DS. Worst symptom was the URQ pain. For the life of me I can't remember if it started in my back (like now) or if it started at the front under my right bottom rib - then spread up the front including sternum, shoulder & all the way down to my bra strap.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (14-03-2017),JustJaq  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Glad to hear everything was ok last night.

The RUQ pain in HELLP is to do with the liver as one of the things that can happen with HELLP is a liver infarct. So it is possible. It would manifest slightly different from person to person, so I would be asking for a blood test tomorrow when you go in. Again, better to be safe than sorry. Usually one of the first things picked up on bloods for HELLP is the drop in platelets and the liver function. Fingers crossed everything tomorrow comes back normal. If you can, perhaps try and go to the assessment unit first so they can take bloods etc and then go to your physio appt so you're not stuck waiting around for ages. Depending on how busy the unit is, maybe try to get there an hour before your physio appt so you're not stressed about running late! I know ours gets super busy during the day, and you don't want to be stuck there for ages waiting around if you can help it!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (14-03-2017),JustJaq  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went in early to the hospital today & midwife wanted me to be checked out by the physio first. So told my physio what was happening & she did a exam of my back. She pushed all the way up from the region the pain was shooting from & nothing, not even a dull ache. She is certain it is not muscular skeletal which now has me worried HELLP is starting.

Physio called the midwife in at the end of our appointment who took my BP (116/80) & ordered bloods + urine test. I thought I'd have them tonight but the lab hasn't sent them to the assessment unit yet so guessing I'll get them at my OB appt tomorrow.

The midwife at the assessment unit I tried to get my results from earlier tonight (different midwife, not the one who ordered the tests) wants me to go to the ED & have them rule out a back injury. How can they do this whilst I'm pregnant? They can't do an MRI or CT scan can they?

Both midwives do not think the headache or back/RUQ pain are related to the iron infusion. However they think it's strange the headache started so soon after having it done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They can do a CT or MRI, but they will usually only do it if necessary. It's one of those things where the risk vs benefits needs to be determined. They would probably have to be worried about something specific to justify doing the scan. They wouldn't be doing one just to see if there's something of concern in there to be worried about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (16-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my tests came back as normal, phew. OB is concerned about the pain but doesn't know what's causing it. To her it doesn't sound like RUQ but to be on the safe side I now have to have weekly appointments with extra tests.

OB does think the headache was caused by the iron infusion as it is a side effect, not a common one but can happen. It's thankfully started to settle down today.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (16-03-2017),JustJaq  (16-03-2017)