+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Iron Infusion Side Effects?

I had to have a IV iron infusion on Wednesday in the maternity day stay unit which lasted about 90 minutes. I was fine whilst it was being done, bubs was being monitored & she was fine. My BP was taken prior and was 147/90 which the nurse said was a little high (it was taken on one of those electronic BP machines which always give higher readings for me for some bizarre reason), she re-took it on the old fashioned BP machine after the infusion & it was down to 137/80. Normally it's 110/70.

An hour after I left the hospital I started getting a splitting headache. I still have it and the only thing that gives a few hours relief is migraine medication. It has been constant since Wednesday and does not respond to Panadol.

The following day I started getting this strange pain in my back, upper lumber region. It starts off feeling like someone is gently jabbing me then within seconds it explodes/radiates outwards & the pain goes from 0 - 9 (10 being the worst pain ever). It goes up my back, over my right shoulder & around my rib cage so I get pain at the front as well. It settles after a minute or two and there's no residual pain/ache in the effected area. It only happens, so far, when I've been sitting or lying down. It comes on multiple times a day.

Are these both side effects of the Iron Infusion or does it sound like the start of something else (crossing fingers & toes these are not symptoms of PE)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had an iron infusion a bit over a month ago and am due for another soon. (I'm not pregnant) but severely anaemic.
    It was a little tender around the site afterwards and a bit of a headache for a couple of days, but no symptoms as you describe.

I do have a iron stain (tattoo) now, which I had no idea you can get, but otherwise everything was okay.

I really think you need to be checked out to rule PE or something else, it may well be side effects but best you have them checked out to be on the safe side.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend had an iron infusion. No side effects like that at all.

The headache not reaponding to Pandol is a sign to get checked for PE. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Iron Infusion Side Effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I do have a iron stain (tattoo) now, which I had no idea you can get,
    They should have told you that when going through the risks and side effects. Whoever did your cannula didn't do a good job basically! Or maybe you moved too much? If it's not in firmly, it can leach out and stain. But they should have been checking for it. I had my cannula checked a few time awhile they were running it through - they started slowly and then sped it up when I didn't feel any side effects.

OP, go and get checked ASAP. I wasn't pregnant when I had mine done either, but that doesn't sound like it would be from the iron to me. I didn't have any side effects from mine, though it did take a couple of weeks before I started to feel less tired. I didn't realise how low I was - I was a 4 I think. I was lucky and one infusion boosted my levels and tablets are keeping me there.
    Last edited by Californication; 13-03-2017 at 23:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I had an an infusion when I was about 20 weeks pregnant. I definitely didn't have any of the symptoms you have described. I would get checked out if I were you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They sound more like symptoms of pre eclampsia rather than the iron infusion. The headache alone rings alarm bells, and the pain around your ribcage is also another classic sign.

Most of the side effects from the iron infusions are felt at the time of the infusion. Things like shortness of breath, feeling unwell, dizzy etc the typical "allergic reaction" type symptoms.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, I would be getting checked out ASAP (like tonight). This should not be something that waits until your next appt.

Best case scenario is that your blood and urine tests are clear for signs of pre eclampsia. But you won't know until you get yourself checked out.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (14-03-2017),Californication  (13-03-2017),JustJaq  (14-03-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    They should have told you that when going through the risks and side effects. Whoever did your cannula didn't do a good job basically! Or maybe you moved too much? If it's not in firmly, it can leach out and stain. But they should have been checking for it. I had my cannula checked a few time awhile they were running it through - they started slowly and then sped it up when I didn't feel any side effects.
    Sorry to sidetrack OP, just wanted to answer @Californification. Nope, no mention at all about the side effects, (I looked them up myself, but no mention of the staining) and only that someone on here mentioned an 'iron stain' and I googled. I actually thought the stain was a nasty bruise that was lingering (before I found out about the stain).
    I've had a few people now tell me that it is the skill of the Practioner that determines if you get a stain or not, so I'll definitely be showing them the stain. I definitely didn't move around to cause it, I was comfortable and still.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry to sidetrack OP, just wanted to answer @Californification. Nope, no mention at all about the side effects, (I looked them up myself, but no mention of the staining) and only that someone on here mentioned an 'iron stain' and I googled. I actually thought the stain was a nasty bruise that was lingering (before I found out about the stain).
    I've had a few people now tell me that it is the skill of the Practioner that determines if you get a stain or not, so I'll definitely be showing them the stain. I definitely didn't move around to cause it, I was comfortable and still.
    Definitely tell them. I would think it was negligent of them not to tell you about the side effects or that staining was a risk! My Dr went through them with me when we got my results back, and the nurse also went through them when it went in for the infusion a week later. My GP also does anaesthetics, so I'm lucky he's good with cannulas as I have crap veins and thought I probably would tissue or stain.

I've heard they can reduce over time, but I think they are mostly permanent unfortunately.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (15-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just to add from this, sometimes I think it depends on the knowledge of the prescriber as to whether the actual risks and side effects are conveyed properly. I was in the room with an patient on the weekend and the resident charted her for an iron infusion. She skimmed over the side effects to a point. When she left the room I filled in the blanks for the patient. She was very surprised that the dr didn't mention the staining was permanent. You would think that the possibility of a permanent stain on the skin would be something that is disclosed to the patient before consenting to a procedure.
    As it is, our hospital policy is that we actually stay in the room with the woman for the duration of the infusion (we run ours over 20-30 mins). That way if there is any sign of something going wrong we can stop it immediately. I utilize this time to do some education with my patients or even just steal some baby cuddles while I sit back and chat to my patient.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-03-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (15-03-2017)